Bitches Brew Quadraphonic SACD from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snood went with CD JAPAN - Everything all the Becks & Santana have been nice and never any trouble with them, plus something like this would not want to leave up to Amazon. There has been a couple things that Snood ordered from Amazon to save a few bux and got the unable to fulfill letter. :mad:

Snood went with CD JAPAN - Everything all the Becks & Santana have been nice and never any trouble with them, plus something like this would not want to leave up to Amazon. There has been a couple things that Snood ordered from Amazon to save a few bux and got the unable to fulfill letter. :mad:

Yes. I find CD Japan a pleasure to deal with

I skipped some of the more recent Sony Japan Multichannel SACD releases (like "Lotus" and "Tapestry") but I am seriously considering getting this one. I was very impressed with the song that made it onto Audio Fidelity's Collection SACD, so if the rest of the album is anything like that track, then this will be a very good release indeed!
Can't wait to find a packshot of this release!

:)

I'm a touch unfamiliar with how often these do or don't eventually get offered by Amazon in the US. I think I got one of the Jeff Beck's that way. Any forecasts on this one from you all or should I get with CD Japan (who I have also successfully ordered from before).

It's been too long for me to remember. Are the drums in one corner or do they get a stereo spread?

On the track featured on the AF Collection SACD, "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down", drums are positioned left rear. Need to check my files to see if it varies for the rest of the album.

Deep Discount and Import CD usually chime in at a later date as they're had all the Jeff Beck 7" packaged SACDs, the Santana Lotus SACDs, etc.

BTW, CDJapan doesn't list this as a LIMITED EDITION either as they've done with previous SACD reissues unless it was an omission on their part.
It said Limited Edition when I ordered a few minutes ago.

...Are the drums in one corner?

On the track featured on the AF Collection SACD, "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down", drums are positioned left rear...

I hear softer drumming from right front, as well. Definite cymbal wash @ 0:20.
Wiki credits that master of subtlety and taste, Jack DeJohnette.
(Who I saw last summer with Scofield & Medeski.)

Thanks, you two, for making me listen more carefully, then switch to the stereo mix to compare.
Many delights on this track, Zawinul & Corea dueling electric pianos, Bennie Maupin's bass clarinet...

Don't fret, baggins, there are two drummers + percussionist on every track.
Needless to say, my pre-order is in.

On the track featured on the AF Collection SACD, "Miles Runs The Voodoo Down", drums are positioned left rear. Need to check my files to see if it varies for the rest of the album.

I had forgot about the AF disc so i had a listening on it now.
About the "drums in the left rear" i think it needs to be commented.
I had big problems to accept the Tommy BD by the Who which has the drums in the left rear.
But after given the advice to change the channels a bit i love that one.
On this one everything starts in the left rear which can feel a bit strange but when every instrument comes in i would say that this is an fantastic mix.
I can´t wait to hear the whole album like this!

I had forgot about the AF disc so i had a listening on it now.
About the "drums in the left rear" i think it needs to be commented.
I had big problems to accept the Tommy BD by the Who which has the drums in the left rear.
But after given the advice to change the channels a bit i love that one.
On this one everything starts in the left rear which can feel a bit strange but when every instrument comes in i would say that this is an fantastic mix.
I can´t wait to hear the whole album like this!

Based on SONY Japan's QUAD SACD track record, I can almost guarantee you that this remaster will sound better than the AF 'voodoo' track.

I've pre-ordered it from CDJapan.

If it somehow manages to escape being clobbered for customs it'll cost me a tad more than 3 Dutton Vocalion discs.
If it gets clobbered it'll cost me significantly more than 4 Dutton Vocalion discs - maybe as much as 5 :(

Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I love it that way! If I had my way all quad mixes would have the drums and bass in the rear speakers.

Well usually i can live with these things but Keith Moons intense drumming almost became annoying to me when it was so isolated in the left rear.
The positive thing about it is that you hear exactly what he was playing. Nothing is hidden by any other instrument.
If i followed the directions i have read to place rear speakers more to the side instead of behind me i don´t think i would have had any problem from the beginning.
Unfortunately my Music room can not be arranged that way.

But to return to the subject of this tread i Think Music like the Bitches brew album just get greater when being done in quad or surround.
Considering that it originally is an double album it actually isn´t to expensive this time.
At least i decide to say that to myself :)

Back