Bitches Brew Quadraphonic SACD from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just signed up and glad to joing this commuinty of fellow multichannel music lovers! I have been eyeballing this release and would certainly like to have a copy, but there is one problem. I am in Canada and the price for this one on amazon.ca is $101.00!! I have also checked the importscds price and again, after shipping, exchange, coming across the border, that is still about $75.00 Cndn, maybe more! Does anyone here think this SACD will get a general release in USA and Canada? What about a blu-ray audio disc of this? That may go for a better price. Not trying to whine about it, but this is certainly cost-prohibitive for us Canadians. Looks like this would certainly be fantastic release. Would be willing to go around $50 Cndn after it is across, the border, but it doesn't look like the price is going to improve for us Canadians anytime soon. I am not asking anyone to sell me a copy, just looking for a better price, perhaps a later realease. I am from the Maritimes. Sit down, have a double-double, some toast with Maple Syrup and watch Anne of Green Gables or Bob and Doug McKenzie!

Welcome to the forum:hi...I'm sure some of the Canadian members might give you some input....Second City was the bomb(y)

We'll, if someone can alert me when the price drops low again, it could always be a resale after a few listens...

Unfortunately, Mike, if anything, the price of Sony Japan's Bitches Brew will only appreciate since it's limited. Even domestic sellers ImportCD/Deep Discount tend to raise the price and list them as backorders after the initial run. Unless this proves to be a HUGE seller for SONY, doubtful it'll garner a second pressing [but who knows].

For a double SACD in special 7" packaging, SONY priced this very well....actually the same list as those Jeff Beck single QUAD SACDs in similar 7" packaging.

Still cannot believe Canadian customers have to pay as much as $101 for this double QUAD SACD. Really wish I had a solution.

Even those who have PRIME but are still subjected to local sales tax are asked to pay OVER $80US [in MY case $83+] at AmazonUS: https://www.amazon.com/Bitches-Brew...ords=bitches+brew+Sony+Japan+new+QUAD+reissue

Last edited:
I just signed up and glad to joing this commuinty of fellow multichannel music lovers! I have been eyeballing this release and would certainly like to have a copy, but there is one problem. I am in Canada and the price for this one on amazon.ca is $101.00!! I have also checked the importscds price and again, after shipping, exchange, coming across the border, that is still about $75.00 Cndn, maybe more! Does anyone here think this SACD will get a general release in USA and Canada? What about a blu-ray audio disc of this? That may go for a better price. Not trying to whine about it, but this is certainly cost-prohibitive for us Canadians. Looks like this would certainly be fantastic release. Would be willing to go around $50 Cndn after it is across, the border, but it doesn't look like the price is going to improve for us Canadians anytime soon. I am not asking anyone to sell me a copy, just looking for a better price, perhaps a later realease. I am from the Maritimes. Sit down, have a double-double, some toast with Maple Syrup and watch Anne of Green Gables or Bob and Doug McKenzie!

Regretfully, sacdman, this will only be a SONY Japan LIMITED RELEASE. SONY US hasn't released an SACD domestically in quite some time, instead, occasionally, licensing their QUAD masters to US reissue companies and Dutton Vocalion in the UK.

As far as SONY releasing an alternative BD~A of BB........doubtful.

With some luck, maybe you'll find one on eBay or among the many warehouse deals Amazon offers throughout the year.

IMO, this release will become one of those highly 'prized' collectible items which will [unfortunately for you] only increase in value.

Regretfully, sacdman, this will only be a SONY Japan LIMITED RELEASE. SONY US hasn't released an SACD domestically in quite some time, instead, occasionally, licensing their QUAD masters to US reissue companies and Dutton Vocalion in the UK.

As far as SONY releasing an alternative BD~A of BB........doubtful.

With some luck, maybe you'll find one on eBay or among the many warehouse deals Amazon offers throughout the year.

IMO, this release will become one of those highly 'prized' collectible items which will [unfortunately for you] only increase in value.

That's what I was figuring. Maybe I might be able to get promo code for import CDs at some point and maybe save an extra 10% or a little more if I am lucky. Thanks, though.

That's what I was figuring. Maybe I might be able to get promo code for import CDs at some point and maybe save an extra 10% or a little more if I am lucky. Thanks, though.

BTW, sacdman, Welcome to QQ forum. We'll all keep an eye out for a deal on Bitches Brew. In the meantime, enjoy the forum. It's like that jolto_O you get from that first cup of morning joe :coffee:

Last edited:
The CD Japan website says they only got 26 initial copies. I don't know how to interpret this but I am too nervous to cancel my initial order with them and try to save some dollars by buying from the domestic suppliers above. How much inventory are they going to get? This release may be a sellout.

The CD Japan website says they only got 26 initial copies. I don't know how to interpret this but I am too nervous to cancel my initial order with them and try to save some dollars by buying from the domestic suppliers above. How much inventory are they going to get? This release may be a sellout.

I wouldn't be too nervous as I'm sure Sony Japan's Japanese customers will come first as it will be released in Japan roughly two weeks before shipments begin in the states.

Perhaps it's we US customers, who ordered from domestic online retailers, who should be nervous?

I have no doubt that pre~orders/demand for this title is high and that SONY Japan will press enough copies to satisfy the demand [and also consider releasing additional Miles Davis QUAD titles]

Last edited:
How do you find that information? Just curious....I placed my order with CD Japan on May 28th...hopefully mine is part of whatever they have and don't have to wait for further replenishing of stock.

Hi Gos I looked at the site again and it says only 26 copies are left. So the question becomes how big is the Japanese market for this, I believe jazz is popular there, and how many copies were reserved for sellers outside of Japan. Its possible not everyone is going to get their order filled. But I could be overreacting.
At any rate you and I will be getting our copies from CD Japan

Hi Gos I looked at the site again and it says only 26 copies are left. So the question becomes how big is the Japanese market for this, I believe jazz is popular there, and how many copies were reserved for sellers outside of Japan. Its possible not everyone is going to get their order filled. But I could be overreacting.
At any rate you and I will be getting our copies from CD Japan
Ah, OK, gotcha. :)

Would have been more interested, but just got a tip from Clint Eastwood on a Classical SACD sale and bagged 5 Wagner operas at very low prices. Will keep an eye on this BB quad, but after the Wagner purchase, it moves down the wish list. Thanks for the info and encouragement!

Why would your say that?
Is there something subpar about AF’s quad SACD’s?
Every one I’ve heard is stellar and made, AFAIK, from 1/2” 15 ips quad masters.
The early ones that were "transferred by Gus Skinas" can be hit-or-miss. There's at least one highly audible glitch on Blood, Sweat & Tears. The later ones "mastered by Stephen Marsh" are generally great.

I'm not worried about the initial release--thousands will be pressed, as this is a prestige catalog title--but in snagging a copy before the leeches get hold of what's left and up the price, as was always the case with MFSL, AF, and DCC gold discs. Always a good idea to pre-order right away, all that matters is getting your copy.

As for the sound quality, we'll know when we hear it. I have the SQ Lp and know the mix well, so we shall see (hear) when and if we get it.

ED :)

Back