Black Sabbath "Paranoid" CD+DVD/DTS Release October 7th 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sanctuary/Silverline DVD-A releases of old music were a real mixed bag, mostly bad, and the source was the issue usually. Is there any reason to believe that Sanctuary SACD's will be made using the original master tapes or at least a worthy source? I am not sure what Sanctuary thought was being done with the DVD-A releases. Can I assume the Sanctuary v 5.1 Entertainment litigation has been settled and the result will be some music released in surround on SACD? This is good news, or at least has the potential to be good news.

Chris

If we're to believe this eBay seller, the SACD contains the original Quadraphonic mix:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-SABBATH...9802382QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0807311021a9773

Quote:

"Paranoid is expanded to a triple-disc containing the extremely rare 1974 Quadrophonic mix of the album. The album also includes deluxe digipak gatefold packaging with expanded booklets containing rare and previously unseen photographs, comprehensive sleeve-notes telling the story behind each album and include images of rare single covers and memorabilia from the period."

If we're to believe this eBay seller, the SACD contains the original Quadraphonic mix:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-SABBATH...9802382QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0807311021a9773

Quote:

"Paranoid is expanded to a triple-disc containing the extremely rare 1974 Quadrophonic mix of the album. The album also includes deluxe digipak gatefold packaging with expanded booklets containing rare and previously unseen photographs, comprehensive sleeve-notes telling the story behind each album and include images of rare single covers and memorabilia from the period."

couldnt theny make this a single disc set i would have though given the album would have fittet on a single inventory SACD with both Quad and stereo mixes ?

I would have thought the extras would fitted on a single CD with the album as well?

couldnt theny make this a single disc set i would have though given the album would have fittet on a single inventory SACD with both Quad and stereo mixes ?

I would have thought the extras would fitted on a single CD with the album as well?

Perhaps. Certainly they could have made this a 2 disc set.

I started a new discussion under the Amazon item description as 'Is This SACD For Real?'

Sancuary issues some junk* (fake surround or worse) as DVD-Audio a few years ago, now we suddenly see an impending SACD of a classic? Very interesting...maybe the lawsuit that flaired up 3 years ago (?) has been settled...

The Sanctuary/Silverline DVD-A releases of old music were a real mixed bag, mostly bad, and the source was the issue usually. Is there any reason to believe that Sanctuary SACD's will be made using the original master tapes or at least a worthy source? I am not sure what Sanctuary thought was being done with the DVD-A releases. Can I assume the Sanctuary v 5.1 Entertainment litigation has been settled and the result will be some music released in surround on SACD? This is good news, or at least has the potential to be good news.

Chris

Sanctuary Records no longer exists as a standalone label. In the wake of the Sanctuary/Silverline dispute, it was sold to Universal Music. This could mean either that the SACD is bogus or real. No mention of it on the Universal UK site (but there really isn't any "upcoming release" info there). Judging from the Ebay description and picture - this is a Universal "Deluxe Edition" - an SACD with the original quad mix would not be out of the question and certainly welcome! Silverline has nothing to do with this - good or bad.

They're not happy they killed DVD-A, now they want to finish off SACD too! :D

Hope they stay away from Blu-Ray!

Attachments

• raincloud.gif
    raincloud.gif
    174 bytes · Views: 910

Quote:

That Ebay auction definitely gives cause for concern. "If" his track listing is correct.......then the 3rd disc is a STEREO SACD which contains in tracks 1-8 SACD stereo mixes, and in tracks 9-16 SACD STEREO downmixes of the quadraphonic mixes.

Including the "quadraphonic mixes" does NOT mean that the disc is multichannel. And, in fact "if" the SACD disc was a multichannel disc the track listing would simply be 1-8.....either stereo or multichannel.

Hope I'm wrong.........but it certainly doesn't look promising from the info given thus far!:mad:

QB

For those concerned about this being a farce, I believe the quad mix is still available on btjunkie.org

The Quad mix is well known (especially here!). It's whether or not this is going to be an SACD. There's no concrete info yet. The official release statement makes no mention of it. As was stated, saying it's a "quad mix" doesn't mean it will be multichannel. BTO's Anthology has a few tracks listed as "quad mix", but they're in stereo. Probably just variations that were on the quad that weren't on the original stereo mix.

Tracklisting :

CD1

1. War Pigs
2. Paranoid
3. Planet Caravan
4. Iron Man
5. Electric Funeral
6. Hand Of Doom
7. Rat Salad
8. Fairies Wear Boots

CD2

1. War Pigs Instrumental and No Siren
2. Paranoid ( Alternative Lyrics )
3. Planet Caravan ( Alternative Lyrics )
4. Iron Man ( Instrumental )
5. Electric Funeral ( Instrumental )
6. Hand Of Doom ( Instrumental )
7. Rat Salad ( Instrumental )
8. Fairies Wear Boots ( Instrumental )

SACD

SIDE 1
1. War Pigs
2. Paranoid
3. Planet Caravan
4. Iron Man
5. Electric Funeral
6. Hand Of Doom
7. Rat Salad
8. Fairies Wear Boots

SIDE2
9. War Pigs ( SACD Stereo )
10. Paranoid ( SACD Stereo )
11. Planet Caravan ( SACD Stereo )
12. Iron Man ( SACD Stereo )
13. Electric Funeral ( SACD Stereo )
14. Hand Of Doom ( SACD Stereo )
15. Rat Salad ( SACD Stereo )
16. Fairies Wear Boots ( SACD Stereo )

SIDE3
17. War Pigs ( Quadraphonic Mix )
18. Paranoid ( Quadraphonic Mix )
19. Planet Caravan ( Quadraphonic Mix )
20. Iron Man ( Quadraphonic Mix )
21. Electric Funeral ( Quadraphonic Mix )
22. Hand Of Doom ( Quadraphonic Mix )
23. Rat Salad ( Quadraphonic Mix )
24. Fairies Wear Boots ( Quadraphonic Mix )

http://www.music-wow.com/shop-item_d...?id=UNI 8517

The CD wow link above did not work for me, but I googled it and went to their SACD section. Now I do have a tendency to get a little excited about releases and can get taken in over the net and the Quadraphonic Quad community is an immense help on this. I am patiently waiting for the Sabbath release and some comments on it before I order this SACD. But I am confused I also saw Brain Salad Surgery (Deluxe 2CD+SACD Edition) on this site? Is this new also?

Thanks
StPete

Here is the Music Wow link for Black Sabbath "Paranoid":

http://www.music-wow.com/shop-item_details.php?id=UNI 8517

Yes, "Brain Salad Surgery" (Deluxe 2CD+SACD Edition) is a new release.

http://www.music-wow.com/shop-item_details.php?id=UNI 8519

It does not contain - according to the song details - "Lucky Man” that was a bonus track on the DVD-A, but it will be the first time that this title will be released on SACD. The omission of “Lucy Man” on this new SACD version will mean that the DVD-A will probably still go for big bucks.

SACD

SIDE 1
1. War Pigs
2. Paranoid
3. Planet Caravan
4. Iron Man
5. Electric Funeral
6. Hand Of Doom
7. Rat Salad
8. Fairies Wear Boots

SIDE2
9. War Pigs ( SACD Stereo )
10. Paranoid ( SACD Stereo )
11. Planet Caravan ( SACD Stereo )
12. Iron Man ( SACD Stereo )
13. Electric Funeral ( SACD Stereo )
14. Hand Of Doom ( SACD Stereo )
15. Rat Salad ( SACD Stereo )
16. Fairies Wear Boots ( SACD Stereo )

SIDE3
17. War Pigs ( Quadraphonic Mix )
18. Paranoid ( Quadraphonic Mix )
19. Planet Caravan ( Quadraphonic Mix )
20. Iron Man ( Quadraphonic Mix )
21. Electric Funeral ( Quadraphonic Mix )
22. Hand Of Doom ( Quadraphonic Mix )
23. Rat Salad ( Quadraphonic Mix )
24. Fairies Wear Boots ( Quadraphonic Mix )

http://www.music-wow.com/shop-item_d...?id=UNI 8517

A 3 sided SACD?:confused:

Back