Blackfield IV (April 2013)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Aviv didn't like the surround thing? So Steven has finally has turned him around?

If Aviv really has "heard the light" then perhaps the earlier Blackfield albums will get released too - I believe at least one of them was mixed by SW already?

If Aviv really has "heard the light" then perhaps the earlier Blackfield albums will get released too - I believe at least one of them was mixed by SW already?

Bring em - on... Blackfield & Blackfield II (especially - nice recording on that)...

Blackfield is one of the few things I didn't get into from Steven Wilson. Maybe I should re-play my discs again.

Bring em - on... Blackfield & Blackfield II (especially - nice recording on that)...

I am listening to Blackfield II now. You are right, that is a nice recording. Both I and II would work quite well in 5.1 I think.

I never could get into III though. Not sure why exactly. Perhaps I should give it another chance.

I am listening to Blackfield II now. You are right, that is a nice recording. Both I and II would work quite well in 5.1 I think.

I never could get into III though. Not sure why exactly. Perhaps I should give it another chance.

ME neither... I and II are amazing... maybe the expectation for III was to high?

I think the reason most people didn't like "Welcome to my DNA" as much is that it had much less to do with Steven, who only wrote one of the songs. To my mind it's essentially an Aviv Geffen album which Steven also plays on.

The next album features Steven even less, from what he's led us to believe previously.

Over on the PT forum, Carl Glover (does artwork for BF, no-man etc) has made a couple recent comments, I hope he doesn't mind if I quote them here:

Blackfield IV is a much better album - I've been enjoying it for quite a while now.

The hand of SW is more apparent on this album than on DNA - to these ears anyway!

One thing that struck me whilst listening to BFIV is that Aviv is an excellent collaborator - the guest artists fit in seamlessly and do not detract.

I won't say anything else as I don't want to spoil the surprise ahead of release.

Thanks for starting this thread, I saw that tweet too over the holiday.

Two questions that came to mind: 1) When did SW have any time for this and 2) 5.1 surround really?

Steven has once again confirmed a Blackfield IV 5.1 mix:

I’ve also done a surround mix for Blackfield for the first time. Aviv never liked surround before, but he relented this time for some reason. The last thing I would ever want is for a Blackfield album to come out that didn’t continue in the quality and tradition of the previous albums. I think this upcoming one does.

Thanks for starting this thread, I saw that tweet too over the holiday.

Two questions that came to mind: 1) When did SW have any time for this and 2) 5.1 surround really?
In a recent interview with SW, he says it takes him a week to mix an album. So we should expect 52 albums a year :).

Hey. Thanks to a tip at stevenwilsonhq.com, I've read some great past and present interviews with Steven. I thought I read in one that his involvemnet in Blackfield nowadays is pretty minimum. Seen at innerviews.org. Thanks.

April is half gone but I have not seen any site where this title can be ordered. Anybody seen more?

Apparently the album has been pushed back a few months and will be out in the fall now according to a post over on the PT forum from info they got from Burning Shed.

Back