Bloomfield Kooper Stills Super Session QUADRAPHONIC Mini Lp replica CD SONY Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvadro

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
If it's really the QUAD copy it would be nice to ALL from the quadraphonicquad forum to write to Sony JAPAN telling them to release other ones. Actually this should be done with RHINO too!!!
Anyone knowing if it's really quad? I can't listen to my copy as my quad amp is on repair!!!!
By the way it's a LIMITED EDITION RELEASE!!!!, that's why I am telling you about it

Attachments

• super..jpg
    super..jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 642
Since it's April Fool and it would be very likely to think this is a joke, check out these ebay auctions:

a "regular stereo" release: http://cgi.ebay.com/AL-KOOPER-SUPER...QptZUK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL?hash=item5d268c622b

the "quad" release: http://cgi.ebay.com/AL-KOOPER-MIKE-...mdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item35a7f7b6e5

quite shocking it's real, with a SQ obi?

BTW, kvadro, if you can't listen to it now, could you post a 30-sec sample somewhere and let us decode it for you and everyone else? first track (albert's shuffle) will be ok, it's very discrete.

Wow, it has the SQ logo on it. Should be interesting to see if the SQ encoding is intact and if there are any more of these released by Sony Japan.

The Super Sessions
Japanese Edition Mini LP
Is in SQ Quad
I have it and played through the TATE

Hi,

Can you let us know if any of the four bonus tracks are also SQ encoded? I wouldn't think any of them would have been mixed for quad, but you never know. Thanks

Hi,

Can you let us know if any of the four bonus tracks are also SQ encoded? I wouldn't think any of them would have been mixed for quad, but you never know. Thanks

Ok I got back my 4 channel receiver
First here are the bonus tracks:

10. Albert's Shuffle (2002 remix without horns/bonus track)
11. Season Of The Witch (2002 remix without horns/bonus track)
12. Blues For Nothing (bonus track)
13. Fat Grey Cloud (live/bonus track)

Well the 2 2002 remix tracks decode well in quad but it impossible to tell as they might be stereo remixes from quad, or stereo with ambient rear... or even dolby surround..., who can really know unless you can/know how to see when it's quad by using a 4 channel audioscope..., or with the abode something... Anyway the sound is very clean, well separate...
Track 3 sound VERY quad and I think it is, but again...
Side 4 sound just stereo

I got my copy in the mail today, and scanned it for your viewing enjoyment. The CD itself is a red label Columbia without a work of QUAD noted anywhere. Also, in the booklets and the inner sleeve, there is no mention of it being an SQ encoded disc.

However, the OBI has the SQ logo prominatntly displayed as posted by Kvadro. Here are my scans, logo first. Front, Back, then the disc covers:

Attachments

• BKS Front SQ Logo&#46.jpg
    BKS Front SQ Logo&#46.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 508
  • BKS Back SQ Logo..jpg
    BKS Back SQ Logo..jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 528
  • BKS Front CD..jpg
    BKS Front CD..jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 536
  • BKS Back CD..jpg
    BKS Back CD..jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 511
PS - When I get a chance, I'll run a track through the AA Kempfand SQ Script and compare it to the same track from a Q8. However, I can't do it right now.

For those that have a wav editor, here's a 4 Channel wav file of the first minute of "Season of the Witch" from this SQ encoded CD. This sample was decoded using the Adobe Audition "kempfand" script. It's pretty good! ;)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/Season4CH.zip

I still have to record my Q8 and see the difference, but I'd have to say that this is from the real SQ encoded source.

PS - When I get a chance, I'll run a track through the AA Kempfand SQ Script and compare it to the same track from a Q8. However, I can't do it right now.

Jon:
I think that Lucanu's latest SQ script with the Phase Bug plugin (Sept 09) is his best and to my ears has better separation than Andreas' one.
Is there any reasoning behind your choice?

Just curious.

Actually...........I did use the latest Lucanu script, as that's what's in my AA setup. I just called it the Kempfand script because....................."I forgot!" :D

The link to the disc on ebay has already been sold. I emailed the seller and he said he can't get anymore. I can't find any copies anywhere else on the web. Anybody have any idea where I could find one?

A number of sellers can be found if you google the UPC: 4547366039122.

Other than Amazon (8-11 day wait) I'm not familiar with all these sites; so please shop with caution.

- Ben

Would someone mind posting a link here to the latest AA 2.0 script, the other threads have gotten cluttered and a little confusing? I'm about half way done with what I thought was the latest 2.0 script (SQdecoding_8_AK), but before I finish, I want to make sure it's the latest one.

The results seem good, but the rear channels have ended up needing a bit of a boost, as the levels are lower than the front by at least 3dbs in many cases. Not sure why that would happen--others have stated that the fronts might need boosting with some of the scipts, but that is not the case with my decode.

The sound quality is great, but I've noticed different placement of the insturments between this and the Q8. EG the horn solos in track 4 are panned front and rear in the sq, but in the q8 are front only. But I haven't done a thorough comparison yet.

I got one off Ebay. There are currently two sellers with the same BIN price on the site. It is definitely the SQ quad mix and it sounds great.

It is a very natural and discrete quadraphonic mix. On most tracks Kooper's organ sits firmly in the front right channel and Bloomfield's or Still's guitar hold the front left. Vocals are center front and bass and drums are prominent in the rears with almost no bleed between any channels. While the surround effect is very apparent, the soundstage remains squarely in front of you. Tape hiss is minimal and the highest are crisp, so if any noise reduction has been done it was slight. The long jams like "His Holy Modal Majesty", "It Takes A Lot To Laugh" and "Season Of The Which" give you the feeling that you are sitting in with the band. No gimmicky ping-ponging channels or swirling of sounds anywhere on the album (which I admit sometimes I like if it is done with taste).

The one song that would have been a good candidate for a 'quad effect spectacular', the heavily phased "You Don't Love Me" (unfortunately) has the same 'hold your positions' quad mix as the rest of the album. Al Kooper's original idea for this album was to jam with two different guitarists with minimal studio tricks. Still, if you are going to go crazy with the phaser on this track, why not get creative with the quad joystick? It remains one of my favorites on the discs as it is.

I don't think any of the 4 bonus track are quadraphonic. Two are remixes: "Albert's Shuffle" and "Seasons" and are not quad encoded. "Blues For Nothing" was a track that didn't make the original album and sounds good in quad but is not SQ encoded. The final bonus track "Fat Grey Cloud" is stereo.

Overall, the disc sounds fantastic and I highly recommend it. I hope we see more releases of SQ encoded classics.
Get it - your Tate will love it!

This is really a strange release, more so than the CTA. Why would Sony release an encoded disc that's in a format that has not been "available" for over 30 years? I'd love to know the story behind this release.

Oh, by the way, let's see MORE! :D

This is really a strange release, more so than the CTA. Why would Sony release an encoded disc that's in a format that has not been "available" for over 30 years? I'd love to know the story behind this release.

It seems to me that maybe they have just realized or learned that cds can retain the original sq encoding and are thinking that this is just the type of thing that might spur collectors to buy. Still it does seem strange. But of course it would be better to get the full CTA-type treatment in the form of the original q8 mix in multichannel.

I think they released it simply because it is a different mix, not because it was quad encoded. The same marketing logic as releasing a mono mix of an album that hasn't been available for many years applies. Hey, if it gets Columbia/Epic quad titles released, I'm all for it. :eek:

Most of the SQ mixes for LP and Q8 sourced from the same quad master. What differed was the way they were applied to format - LP via SQ matrix encoding and 8-track via the 4 separate tracks. So this "Super Session" mix would be the same as the original Q8.

Thanks for the heads up. I snagged one this morning. Can't wait to check it out.

Bought it, it arrived today.
Gong to decode at 24/96 later on.
Hurrah - great find. I have also asked the seller if he knows of others.....

Back