Bluray Players w/Multi-channel audio DLNA similar to/better than Oppo 103, best iOS DLNA app

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Tagscanner I’ve never tried loading more than all one artist’s albums, so maybe 10 albums. I also have some various artist ‘albums’ with 100 tracks. Both no problems. Actually one has 600+ tracks but no problems (part Dutch Top 2000 upmixes)

Is it having problems doing lookups online?

Received my recommended computer today ((here on eBay). A nice device, easy to setup and configure. Only problem: one of the antenna connectors got bent in shipping, likely due to poor packing. Wireless works well with only a single antenna.

Making progress with software. Windows 10, foobar2000, Kodi. All installed.

Fooobar plays multichannel great from a USB disc and NAS. Once I figured out Kodi had its own settings for # channels, all was well and my MCH FLACs play great.

The journey begins!

Last edited:
Received my recommended computer today ((here on eBay). A nice device, easy to setup and configure. Only problem: one of the antenna connectors got bent in shipping, likely due to poor packing. Wireless works well with only a single antenna.

Making progress with software. Windows 10, foobar2000, Kodi. All installed.

Fooobar plays multichannel great from a USB disc and NAS. Once I figured out Kodi had its own settings for # channels, all was well and my MCH FLACs play great.

The journey begins!
You probably need to go into windows sound settings and set it to 5.1 or 7.1 as well.

You probably need to go into windows sound settings and set it to 5.1 or 7.1 as well.
Yes, thanks! That took a while to figure out! I’m running HDMI passthrough to a LG TV via my Yamaha AVR. The AVR grabs the audio for processing’s/playback, but in Windows only the LG TV shows up as an audio output device. Once I told Windows the LG could handle 5.1, all was well. I suspect there are subtleties to all the audio settings to ensure maximum sound quality. I’d like Windows to simply pass the files directly to the AVR with no manipulation. Not sure that’s the case yet.

Yes, thanks! That took a while to figure out! I’m running HDMI passthrough to a LG TV via my Yamaha AVR. The AVR grabs the audio for processing’s/playback, but in Windows only the LG TV shows up as an audio output device. Once I told Windows the LG could handle 5.1, all was well. I suspect there are subtleties to all the audio settings to ensure maximum sound quality. I’d like Windows to simply pass the files directly to the AVR with no manipulation. Not sure that’s the case yet.
In Kodi, there are the pass through options which will allow it to pass DTS, Dolby etc. For truly no manipulation, specify the WASAPI driver in the player settings (this driver can be used for any media player). That bypasses the windows mixer as well.

In Kodi, there are the pass through options which will allow it to pass DTS, Dolby etc. For truly no manipulation, specify the WASAPI driver in the player settings (this driver can be used for any media player). That bypasses the windows mixer as well.

Thanks LovMyQuad, WASAPI worked. This is GREAT! Playback is fully functioning now with my mini-PC and Kodi: Passthrough bitstream for FLAC's (but not for DSF), DSF decoding/playback, and Kodi Music Remote on the iPad. I can tell this is going to be a great system. So much faster and cleaner than my old DLNA/Oppo method. AND more reliable.

Many thanks to all in this thread who led me to this approach. I have a journey to getting Kodi optimized, but I know with the resources already available on QQ and other sites, I'll get there. Next step is to clean up my file tagging/structure and install Aeon Nox: Silvo skin as recommended by HomerJAU.

Eventually I'll try jRiver to compare. I understand it can pass through undecoded DSD to my AVR, one thing Kodi can't do.

Thanks again!
Steve

Thanks LovMyQuad, WASAPI worked. This is GREAT! Playback is fully functioning now with my mini-PC and Kodi: Passthrough bitstream for FLAC's (but not for DSF), DSF decoding/playback, and Kodi Music Remote on the iPad. I can tell this is going to be a great system. So much faster and cleaner than my old DLNA/Oppo method. AND more reliable.

Many thanks to all in this thread who led me to this approach. I have a journey to getting Kodi optimized, but I know with the resources already available on QQ and other sites, I'll get there. Next step is to clean up my file tagging/structure and install Aeon Nox: Silvo skin as recommended by HomerJAU.

Eventually I'll try jRiver to compare. I understand it can pass through undecoded DSD to my AVR, one thing Kodi can't do.

Thanks again!
Steve
Im glad you got it working. You will like the AN Silvo interface as well.

With respect to DSF, I have heard that the most recent version of Kodi will play them, but will convert them to PCM on playback. You may have to tell it to not pass through for DSF. I haven't tried this as I convert the DSF to FLAC anyway,

I could be wrong on this, but I thought JRiver did the DSF to PCM conversion as well. I haven't messed with JRiver for years.

Im glad you got it working. You will like the AN Silvo interface as well.

With respect to DSF, I have heard that the most recent version of Kodi will play them, but will convert them to PCM on playback. You may have to tell it to not pass through for DSF. I haven't tried this as I convert the DSF to FLAC anyway,

I could be wrong on this, but I thought JRiver did the DSF to PCM conversion as well. I haven't messed with JRiver for years.
Yup, based on some experiments Kodi will successfully decode DSF to PCM, regardless of passthrough settings. Some reading up on JRiver tells me it can handle passthrough DSF. We’ll see! In a perfect world I’d rather have my AVR’s DAC handle the conversion than Kodi, but this is not a showstopper for me.

So much faster and cleaner than my old DLNA/Oppo method. AND more reliable.

Thanks again!
Steve

These are the reasons why I decided to put in a media PC myself. I got fed up of using my Oppo's interface. For DSD in Kodi , did you have to put in any add ons /extra decoders ? Does it play multichannel DSF files ? I personally use Foobar with the Dark One skin for all my music.

Reactions: GOS
These are the reasons why I decided to put in a media PC myself. I got fed up of using my Oppo's interface. For DSD in Kodi , did you have to put in any add ons /extra decoders ? Does it play multichannel DSF files ? I personally use Foobar with the Dark One skin for all my music.
Yes, it plays MCH DSF. I installed base Kodi (most recent official release) on the Windows 10 mini-PC. No add-ons. It played multichannel DSF files just fine, decoding them to PCM in the mini-PC and sending them via HDMI to my AVR. I have Kodi configured for WASAPI passthrough. FLAC files are sent directly via HDMI with no decoding or resampling in the mini-PC, as WASAPI passthrough is supposed to work.

Kodi 18 (Leia) plays MCH DSF without additional add-ons. Converting to PCM.

It’s quite possible a developer will add DSF pass-through to Kodi in a future release.

I have a number of MC music files stored on a PC in my home office. I eventually want to rip all my MC discs, and even later, my movie discs. I have an Atmos setup with an Oppo 103D upstairs and a 5.2 setup with a Sony X800 downstairs. I do more of my music listening downstairs, but I want to be able to access my files on both systems. I've used the Oppo to do so before, but until recently, I wasn't able to do so with the X800. I found an app on the Sony app menu that appeared similar to the one on the Oppo, so I loaded it and tried to access the files on my PC. Like the Oppo app, it's clunky as hell, but it played my files flawlessly, even the 4.0 ones.

I installed Foobar and a trial version of JRiver on my PC and played around with them, hoping I could use one or both of them to send music to both systems. Alas, there's a steep (for me) learning curve, and even if there is a way to make it work from the PC, I couldn't figure it out. I suppose I could get something to accomplish that from the endpoints of both of my systems, but I suspect I would have to get two such devices. For now, I'll continue to read these threads and try to learn more about solutions that can accomplish what I'm trying to do.

@paligap For the best user interface and playback capability you’ll need to feed your AVRs with an HDMI signal. I’d recommend two media players (one in each media room) connected to your media file storage by a network connection. Ideally a wired network if you want to use HD Video or 4K UHD Video. WiFi can be ok for audio only if you have good signal, close and no solid walls/flooring. Wired is faster and no signal issues ever.

Each player then can run independently, but share the same media library and could be operated by either a conventional IR or Bluetooth remote control (like a conventional disc player) or with a smartphone or tablet (e.g iPhone/iPad etc) remote with a nice graphical user interface (recommended).

You could use your PC as the central media storage (add more drives) or you could use a NAS (Network Attached Server - a small dedicated box that houses multiple hard drives). NAS can be set up to automatically duplicate files if a hard drive fails (recommended). Check out Synology.com for typical models.

Take a look in the QQ Forum’s Multichannel Media Players section for more info and examples.

Yeah, I figured that what you described is the optimal solution. I'll have to decide if I want to invest the time and money to implement that.

As for a wired network, the house we bought recently doesn't have CatX wiring. It's a trend in new homes in the States toward wireless. We do have coax, so maybe I could do a MoCa network. I do have a powerful, if ugly, router downstairs that is able to deliver a signal strong enough to stream Netflix 4K upstairs.

I usually take a plug-and-play approach (a nice way of saying I'm lazy). Maybe that will change when I retire (hopefully soon). Or maybe I'll just throw myself into this and make it a hobby. :)

Last edited:
Back