Bob Dylan Live - Bootleg Series Vol 6 - Audio Fidelity 5.0 Multichannel SACD (March 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, technically, Larry, you 'randomly' applied the additional $5 coupon to the Dylan Bootleg SACD when in fact, you paid $44.08 for the SACD and received $5 off the shark madness order. VERY clever. You and I think very much alike.

DrJekyll and DrStrangelove....what's next NURSERATCHED.....or COUSINIT?
No. I bought 3 "shark" Blu-rays, which allowed me to get the entire order @ 10% off & free shipping. I also have Spectrum pre-ordered on this order. The Dylan shipped yesterday.

Has anybody noticed anything unusual about the Dylan sacd's. I got mine today, great acoustic sound btw.
But my question is this. It didn't come with the usual front insert that is the same as the smaller one on the outer paper slipcase.

I got a double fold photos of Dylan instead.
All my other AF cd's had the front liner not in the jewel case bu behind it , within the paper slip case.

SEEMS ODD THAT I DIDNT GET THE COVER THATS BEEN ADVERTIZED.

Has anybody noticed anything unusual about the Dylan sacd's. I got mine today, great acoustic sound btw.
But my question is this. It didn't come with the usual front insert that is the same as the smaller one on the outer paper slipcase.

All my other AF cd's had the front liner not in the jewel case bu behind it , within the paper slip case.

Could you talk a little bit more about the sound quality?

All my other AF cd's had the front liner not in the jewel case bu behind it , within the paper slip case.....
I don't know what you mean. Is there nothing to put inside the jewel case as a cover? If possible, post some pictures.

Ok Everybody..........got my discs 2 days ago............

Seems nobody is jumping the gun on reviewing, but Snood will.

If you are looking for discrete surround...........this is not the disc, BUT....................hear me out

This by no means is going to be a go to demo disc..........this was 1964 with no band just Dylan, harmonica and guitar.............and about 5 tunes with Joan Baez.

This is a very and I mean very Front Center speaker experience.

The back channels are just reverb and applause after songs.........the front left and right are pretty much the same except for maybe a lil and Snood means just a lil more guitar (if at all) plus the applause - BUT..........

Somehow.........this seems to be almost a front and center experience. My set up is not the best but was still like thinking wow this was 52 years ago and kind of sounds like he is right there in front of you. Not around you but straight in front. Snood could imagine with some of yalls setups and the lights and tv off, this might be a flash back of being there.

Definitely not the best for a surround release, but it does give you the atmosphere of being there right up in front waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1964

Hope this helps............Dylan fans will love this. Snood has seen Dylan in concert (Infidels Tour) and have a lot of his stuff...........would not consider myself a big fan, but a very casual one. Snood did enjoy the Frontcentric concert feel.

Non Dylan fans, but surround fans, will most likely not dig this......

Still for the place and time........and the recording process of the time, the recording seems to put you right there (but frontcentric)...........hope this helps :rolleyes:

I was really shocked and pleasantly surprised to see a few copies of this new SACD at Grimey's in Nashville yesterday, but the price made it a no go for me. ($54.99 plus tax). That being said, I tried to see if my father was also interested in the SACD because he's been listening to a LOT of Dylan lately, but since he is not a fan of early acoustic Dylan, we didn't pick it up yesterday.
Still, I'm very pleased to see Multichannel SACDs from Audio Fidelity making their way into a local music shop like Grimey's. It's definitely a good thing! :)

Snood's description of this two disc set is right on and I will just add a little. This recording is a historical recording as the tides where changing for Dylan. Can you believe people where telling him he was a sell out? In order to fully appreciate this recording, listening and reading the small booklet really pulls it all together. To quote a partial sentence on page 18, referring to the Philharmonic Hall, "with it's imperial grandeur and bad acoustics", with a 50 year old one man recorded show, except with Baez on a few tracks, this is not reference audiophile. I like others are not a huge Dylan fan, but loved reading the liner notes while listening.
This is a perfect example of surround sound, remixing, great liner notes that pulls the purchase all together. It is 100% the best of why I listen to music and why I am treading lightly with HI Res download music, I have been reading liner notes since 1963, I listen and I read about the band or historical commentary and I am not willing to give that up.

If this had been an MFSL release there would be no liner notes, among other things.
On the other hand if it had been an Analogue Productions release the entire 100 mins. or so would have been put on a single SACD, like what they did with Belafonte and the upcoming PPM Concert.

I kinda like the included picture of Dylan instead of the normal cover shot
006.jpg

Just slide that puppy in and you are ready to go
011.jpg

And you can add the outer cover and I think it looks cool
012.jpg

If this had been an MFSL release there would be no liner notes, among other things.
On the other hand if it had been an Analogue Productions release the entire 100 mins. or so would have been put on a single SACD, like what they did with Belafonte and the upcoming PPM Concert.

How do they get 100 mins of redbook on one disc? Amazing!

How do they get 100 mins of redbook on one disc? Amazing!
They split the redbook between the redbook layer on the SACD and an additional standard CD. It's actually a cheaper way of doing things too since only one SACD is used.

I'm resisting a rush to judgement, having grown to love the front centric BDA version of The Allman's Fillmore, after initial qualms. And so I did a very quick comparison between the original Live 1964 with this new 5.0 version, which arrived today from Amazon. I like the sound on the original a lot - so I wasn't expecting too much from the new surround version. So far, I've been very pleasantly surprised. The artist is very much full center - which makes complete sense right, given the singer, acoustic, and harmonica set up. What is really extra nice is sitting with the audience! On the original stereo, the audience is out front with Dylan, which, when you think about it, is a bit weird, right? The audience's delight coming from the same place as Dylan's performance? On the surround, the listener is in the much more appealing situation of being in the middle of the audience. Which I just love, actually. So, so far so very good indeed from me...

I decided to give the Dylan disc a quick spin...I'm on song 6 now...as Snood mentioned this isn't a disc to show off your surround system...but those of us that were realistic didn't expect it to...but what it does offer is superb sound quality for such a vintage recording...vocals are crystal clear and better than a lot of modern hi rez recordings...you get that feeling that you are in attendance during the songs...I'm one who really doesn't like live performances...primarily due to the crowd interaction...which in this case is pretty tame...by that I mean they don't interrupt the songs with applause..it certainly does have analogue remnants...the slight hiss at moments(which I love)and the open feeling you get...certainly not compressed

I'm not a Bob Dylan diehard fan...BUT I do have 5 or 6 of his SACD's and a gold cd (that I love)....mainly because he's one artist that has been open to the format and is an icon with some awesome songs in his catalog...so Who is this title for...it's not for those seeking surround bliss...it's for Dylan fans and those that appreciate excellent vintage recordings...I'm very pleased with this purchase as it's exactly what I thought it would be...a look at a famous artists in his youth

Amazon.com have posted mine should get it late next week, just over $68 into the UK! It'll be interesting to hear, Snood's review is what I thought the recording would be, and I've a few solo artist acoustic/folk SACDs like that which work really well even though they're not discrete surround as they open up the sound stage and you do feel like they're playing in the room with you.

You guys are echoing what I posted back in January when I got a preview disc. It's a very nice listen and the surround really does work, it's just not a beat you over the head wow-type surround mix. I love the comment from cornwall198 above about pulling the crowd noise out of the fronts so it's not right there with Dylan. A perfect description!

It's expensive - yes, it's a disc for real fans - yes. If it's not your bag, don't spend the cash.

Guess it's time to make the poll! :)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21937

OK , now, here's the question....WHY?
This could have easily been a STEREO SACD...what's in the rears....the audience????

I'm happy for you Dylan fans (I can't stand him), though....

I think I know the answer but it's not very nice....so I'll keep my mouth shut...

Back