Bose 4401 Preamp - Worth Anything?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goelvis

Just bought a Bose 4401 Solid State Four Channel Preamplifier yesterday, looks great...couldn't wait to see how it pushed my power amp.

After MUCH fiddling about, the left (front) channel wouldn't let much sound out of the power amp. I was using it as a Stereo only amp, front speakers inputs/outputs only. Then, tried it on rear speakers...same thing, left side was very quiet (sound does come out, just super low volume.)

I know both channels on the power amp work. Did some plug-hopping, was able to get full sound/volume/balance using the FRONT inputs and REAR outputs....then the front/rear balance control on the Bose did nothing.

Somehow, this seems like a long math word problem......:mad:@:

Any idea what this is worth? I guess in "as is" condition. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it. Might be better off just selling it and getting a nice old STEREO Preamp/Amp combination.

Also have this strange JVC SEA - V7E thing I bought at Goodwill...missing all the slider knobs, that sucker is another plug nightmare, with funky 1 + 3 and A+C knobs. I think I may be destined to stay in Stereo land.....

The 4401 was a class piece of it's time. A big time system would have been the 4401 with the two monster power amps that matched it and 4 Bose 901 speakers. The 4401 had plug in modules for CD-4 and SQ, although as I recall neither was "spectacular". As with all vintage stuff, there are probably caps and connections in the thing that are wasted.

If you don't want to get it restored, and if it's shakey, you may want to sell it, although the trick will be to find that right buyer that will pay the price you're looking for.

I am afraid you will face some bias concerning your Bose pre-amp. I can remember going into a "hifi" sellers location a couple of years back to ask about some Bose speakers, and I was dismissed offhand by the statement from their salesman that "No Highs, No Lows, Gotta Be Bose". I just turned around and left that establishment, never to return.

I have Bose speakers in two of my Quad setups and am very impressed by their quality. I would recommend to you that if you do decide to sell your Bose 4401 you set a firm price and don't let anyone bad talk the Bose unit in an attempt to get you to lower your price.

MTGC (Michael)

hello,

I have a Bose 4401 preamp in mint condition. Still have the original box. Does anyone know what price I should ask for the Unit?

Back