Can the New SONY UBP-X800M2 BLU RAY Player now Play Home Burned DVD-AUDIO Discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghalteman

I was hoping someone commented in a thread about the New Sony UBP-X8000M2 Bluray Player. Has anyone tried it? Can this new model now play home burned DVD-AUDIO DVD's? The last model could not. Comments or an link to a thread would be appreciated!

This unit will be priced at about $198 on Black Friday and Crutchfield and Best Buy. It looks very much like they've upgraded it's "Reading Capabilities" . On Crutchfield it says it WILL play DVD-AUDIO discs. The last one would NOT play home burned DVD-A discs, this one looks promising. Has anyone tried it? Really could use a current unit to play my DVD-AUDIO conversions!!!

The specs at the sony site list capability to play these disc formats: link

Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) Playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW

Technically, a home burned DVD-A would have to fall into one of the DVD- or DVD+ categories listed. So unless the unit specifically restricts burned DVD Audio, my guess is it will play your burned disks.

Did the older model play burned DVD disks but just not burned DVD Audio disks specifically?

The specs at the sony site list capability to play these disc formats: link

Ultra HD Blu-ray, BD-ROM, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), SA-CD (SA-CD/CD) Playback, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R Double Layer, CD (CD-DA), CD-R/-RW

Technically, a home burned DVD-A would have to fall into one of the DVD- or DVD+ categories listed. So unless the unit specifically restricts burned DVD Audio, my guess is it will play your burned disks.

Did the older model play burned DVD disks but just not burned DVD Audio disks specifically?
Correct. It didn't play burned DVD-A or SACD. The odds it will play them in the m2 incarnation seems only slightly above zero, but I'll wait and see.

Correct. It didn't play burned DVD-A or SACD. The odds it will play them in the m2 incarnation seems only slightly above zero, but I'll wait and see.
Yeah, if that's the case, then that isn't just an issue of needing the capability to read a burned disc, its a deliberate limitation that was engineered into the unit to prevent playback of cracked burned sources like DVDA and SACD. I think ubertrout is correct on the chances.

I have the X800 (the first model, not the M2) and the limitation to read burned discs is limited to DVDA and SACD. It can read all kinds of other burned discs.

For the M2, maybe ask on the blu-ray.com forum ?

Yeah, if that's the case, then that isn't just an issue of needing the capability to read a burned disc, its a deliberate limitation that was engineered into the unit to prevent playback of cracked burned sources like DVDA and SACD. I think ubertrout is correct on the chances.
There is a difference between pirated DVD-A discs and home made discs from sources such as a Quad rip.

I would guess that the Sony would play burned, non watermarked content, and the only variable is the reflectivity of the disc.

Last edited:
There is a difference between pirated DVD-A discs and home made discs from sources such a a Quad rip.

I would guess that the Sony would play burned, non watermarked content, and the only variable is the reflectivity of the disc.
I understand watermarking. I also know watermarking is removed when content is ripped or pirated. And Sony states the unit will play DVD-R disks as well as commercial DVD-A and SACD disks. But it apparently wont play a burned DVD-A disk nor an SACD-R. So I don't think its a question of watermarking or reflectivity. I am suggesting that the Sony wont play any disk that has MLP or SACD formatting when the disk is burned. Or possibly it wont play MLP or SACD unless the copy protection is intact. Either way that leaves it incapable of playing an MLP formatted burn of a quad rip.

My Oppo BDP-83 will play burned SACD & DVD-A. My Oppo UDP-203 will play burned DVD-A but not SACD. Sony made them remove that capability. Sony just told the software controlling the player not to allow those features.

DVD/A watermarking is removed only when ripped to another format (FLAC, DTS, etc.) If you burn the ripped files back to a DVD/A, the watermark is restored.
Interesting. So with a rip from a quad reel which is burned as DVDA to disk, does that disk have watermarking?

Yes, if the files on the quad reel originated from a watermarked DVD/A, the watermark will be retained and restored when burned back to a DVD/A.

Yes, if the files on the quad reel originated from a watermarked DVD/A, the watermark will be retained and restored when burned back to a DVD/A.
First, you misunderstood my question. By a quad reel I meant, a vintage Reel to Reel quad tape from the 70s. It is an analog tape and would not be watermarked in its original condition. Such vintage reels (as well as SQ, QS, and CD-4 LPs) are commonly formatted to DVDA and burned to disk to allow playback on modern equipment. So are you saying that the resulting burned disk would be watermarked simply due to using the DVDA format?

Second, I don't understand how your reply could be valid. Even if one wanted to record a quad reel from a commercial DVDA, all that would record onto the tape is the decoded analog signal. How could it retain watermarking?

Yeah, I thought there might be some misunderstanding; so clarified the question in my answer :)

You are correct, a watermark will not be introduced by burning non-watermarked files to DVD/A. However, if the files originated from a source that had a watermark, then the watermark will be retained no matter where it ends up. This is because the watermark is embedded in the audio signal itself and will not be removed by transferring the audio from one format to another. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

There are programs out there that claim to remove the watermark. I've tried a few with variable success. I've found it better to just listen to the files in a format that doesn't know about watermarks if I have a player that honors watermarks.

There is a difference between pirated DVD-A discs and home made discs from sources such as a Quad rip.

I have the X800 (not M2) and it does not play non watermarked burned DVDA discs (tested with home made (not by me) quad reel rips, like Santana - Abraxas)

I have the X800 (not M2) and it does not play non watermarked burned DVDA discs (tested with home made (not by me) quad reel rips, like Santana - Abraxas)
Because of the lower reflectivity or they are somehow not allowed? Does it show "No disc" or similar or a different type of message?

Because of the lower reflectivity or they are somehow not allowed? Does it show "No disc" or similar or a different type of message?
It definitely shows there is a disc, but the disc type says Unknown with a big question mark on the disc icon in the player’s interface.

It’s not a problem with burned discs: it can read burned data discs. IIRC it can read burned audio CDs and burned video DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

Sony just told the software controlling the player not to allow the feature of playing SACD-R and DVD-A-R

I guess no one has simply bought a SONY UBP-X800M2 Player and tried one to Play home burned DVD-AUDIO discs. They are on sale now at Best Buy and Amazon for about $199. I guess I'll know after Christmas. Until then, I'll have to play my FLAC files.

Back