• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Car Audio moving forward. A reflection.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Reaction score
...con't from post #34...

80's:
Concord AM/FM/Cass & HPQ 90 dbx II

A quantum leap from what I owned before. Before car CD players were available, this was the way to play a CD in the car: a dbx tape dub.

90's:
Alpine AM/FM/CD head w/trunk mounted 6 CD changer, 2 Alpine 4ch amps (amplifying 5 channels w/1 amp bridged), JL 12" sub, Infinity speakers

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I got an Audi A5 in July. If I'd waited until the end of November or early December I could have gone for the B&O Surround System option but I wasn't prepared to wait and have to pay out for the huge 5 year service on my A4 (only done 45k miles though!). So the A5 S-Line S-tronic with the Technical pack only comes with a single slot CD/DVD player (no multi-changer option anymore) hidden in the glove box for 'convenience'! along with the SD card slots. I'm also not certain the speakers are as good as the ones I had in the A4. The system will play mp3 & 2.0 FLAC 48kHz, and a few other formats I'm not interested in, for the last few months its been mp3 I've listened to. So last week I transferred my Led Zep 2.0 FLAC downloads from the crazy Box Sets to an SDCard and it all played, but, I realised the Led Zep FLACs are 96kHz sample rate so either it is playing at the right speed or its down-sampling! Either way we're back to the old days of copying to listen in the car but to SDCard instead of tape.:rolleyes:

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I got an Audi A5 in July. If I'd waited until the end of November or early December I could have gone for the B&O Surround System option but I wasn't prepared to wait and have to pay out for the huge 5 year service on my A4 (only done 45k miles though!). So the A5 S-Line S-tronic with the Technical pack only comes with a single slot CD/DVD player (no multi-changer option anymore) hidden in the glove box for 'convenience'! along with the SD card slots. I'm also not certain the speakers are as good as the ones I had in the A4. The system will play mp3 & 2.0 FLAC 48kHz, and a few other formats I'm not interested in, for the last few months its been mp3 I've listened to. So last week I transferred my Led Zep 2.0 FLAC downloads from the crazy Box Sets to an SDCard and it all played, but, I realised the Led Zep FLACs are 96kHz sample rate so either it is playing at the right speed or its down-sampling! Either way we're back to the old days of copying to listen in the car but to SDCard instead of tape.:rolleyes:
I can relate. I really do miss my disc player. It was nice to be able to feel like hearing something, grab the disc, and head off on the road. Now you have to rip the disc, create a compatible file and format, then copy to a stick/chip.

This really puts a kabosh on the "impulse listen in the car"....

johnrd

Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I wish someone would make an Oppo-like portable that would fit in the center console and connect via HDMI to an in-dash factory head unit enabling discrete surround and the playback of all our legacy formats.

Beefalo

Reaction score
I wasted quite a bit of money trying various car stereo installation shops. The work was always sloppy.
Finally hitched up with a high end shop and made friends with the owner/install guru. The install shop was a place to hangout and discuss systems/brag.
Oh the lovely smell of fresh fiberglass...
Ended up with a 15K system that was worth every penny. Dynaudio speakers. Active crossovers and multiple amps. Took out the spare tire in the trunk and made a massive subwoofer cabinet.
I really didn't know about surround then. I had a judge of quality though. We knew that some CD's were dynamic and could be played loud. Alot of the new ones sounded harsh & distorted at high volume.
This story has a sad ending:
I drifted apart from my friend at the shop until one day I needed some work done. I went by the shop and it was closed. I looked up my friend in the phone book and called him. His mother answered the phone. My friend had passed away due to undiagnosed high blood pressure.

jefe1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
Thank you Beefalo for that story.
I am now taking high blood pressure medication daily. Sorry for your friend. This is a timely reminder to get your BP checked and get on the meds if you need them. This problem kills more people than you think and there are no warnings.
Here's to a longer life and more surround listening!

Beefalo

Reaction score
Thank you for that.
Mike was fit and in his 40's. Did not smoke but did enjoy his beer.
Once he needed extra time to finish a lengthy install.
He loaned me his daughters car for a week. I somehow ended up keeping a spare set of keys to the car.
Every now and then I find the keys laying around and I remember all the good times with my friend.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Thank you Beefalo for that story.
I am now taking high blood pressure medication daily. Sorry for your friend. This is a timely reminder to get your BP checked and get on the meds if you need them. This problem kills more people than you think and there are no warnings.
Here's to a longer life and more surround listening!
About 9 years ago I had gone to see the Doctor about an irritating ingrowing hair, they also decided to measure my BP, it was 184/120 (I had noticed I was always tired), now with medication its 120->140/80 - I'd inherited my mother's family problem, initially hers was so high it was off the scale. So have your BP checked fellow QQers.