CD-4 Turntable Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris8301

So I'm running a Panasonic SL-701/C turntable into a Sansui QS receiver. The turntable has a little red light that comes on every time it's playing a CD-4 quad record, but I also own quite a few records that are QS or SQ, etc and that light never comes on when I'm playing those records.

My question is this: is this the best turntable to be using for quad formats that are NOT CD-4? Even with the ability to change the quad setting on the receiver, I'm just not sure if the separation is quite as good as those CD-4 records played on the turntable. I also noticed on the back of the receiver I have a "CD-4 Carrier Level", would that have something to do with it?

Thanks!

The turntable in itself isn't a thing, the cartridge and the CD4 demodulator inside are good.
Of course the separation of a SQ or QS matrix record is lower than a discrete CD4, especially if you don't have a Sansui QRX 7001, 8001 or 9001.

Yeah I should have mentioned that I have the QRX-5001... so should I be running my NON CD-4 records through a regular turntable into the stereo phono in on the receiver?

Most CD-4 capable carts are very good cartridges and should do quite well for regular stereo playback. Perhaps a more modern TT would improve your stereo record enjoyment, maybe.

Oh, I just looked up your TT and now understand your question better. My second sentence was still germane. I would probably consider a different option to play SQ/QS and stereo LPs,

Last edited:
Another option can be replace the BSR record changer with a different turntable; it may be tricky but something like a Pioneer pl12 or similar may fit inside.

Back