Dual Disc Cheap Dual Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I think most everyone is aware of the yourmusic.com site where they sell cd's, sacd's, dvd-a's and dual discs for $6.99 which includes shipping. But there is no specific method for searching for multi-channel titles, so I thought I'd list a few dual discs that are available that I have found through cross referencing master lists. These titles were available on their site at least at the time I ordered them.

Lee Ann Womack - Greatest Hits
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any
The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart
Diane Krall - The Girl In The Other Room
Rob Thomas - Something To Be
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

I'd suggest that no one go near that DualDisc of "Rebal, Sweetheart". It plays at multichannel, but darned if I can tell if there's anything mixed into the surround channels. But I do agree that Yourmusic.com might be a good place to look for a few titles. I was member at the promotional $4.99 price shortly after they started up, but cancelled my subscription about a year ago. They were a very good company to buy from, though.

Do they still have the Bjork dualdiscs?

These titles were available on their site at least at the time I ordered them.

Lee Ann Womack - Greatest Hits
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Simple Plan - Still Not Getting Any
The Wallflowers - Rebel, Sweetheart
Diane Krall - The Girl In The Other Room
Rob Thomas - Something To Be
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

Lee Ann Womack - is actually a pretty good 5.1 mix, considering that it is remixed from multiple sources - a bit on the slick, country pop diva side - but a keeper IMO

Wallflowers - what Kazaam said - virtually nothing in the rears - barely a whisper.

Rob Thomas - same non mix as Wallflowers - a shame, cause I think he's an underated singer songwriter and does some interesting arrangements on the pop side - a missed opportunity.

Diane Krall and Bon Jovi are also good but not great mixes but still fun and if your a fan of either, must haves.

My favorite cheap DualDisc find:

Shawn Amos: Thank You Shirl-ee May: A Love Story (DualDisc)
I picked mine up on Amazon, there are always cheap new ones under the used section. $1.78 at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AMWJ1G

The music covers a wide range, jazzy, a touch of rock, a bit folky, and even a touch of gospel. I find several tracks very catchy. It's written for and about his mother, who gave up a promising singing career to raise her children, became mentally ill and ultimately committed suicide. Incidentally, Shawn's father is "Famous Amos" of cookie fame. Garrison Starr guests on two tracks.

Nice extras and the whole thing is very well done. A decent 5.1 mix, nothing wild, but the surrounds are often used for background vocals and the like. Dolby Digital, unfortunately :(. This thread just reminded me that it was tucked in the distant corner of the multich disc shelf, and now it's spinning happily away.

Mark Z

This is my method of finding surround music on yourmusic.com: In the search up top seach by "album title", then enter one of the following to bring up surround titles:
1. sacd
2. DVD-Audio
3. dualdisc
4. dvd
5. 5.1

I found a Flaming lips and Jackson Browne dvd-audio, 3 pages of sacd including Elton John, Depeche Mode dvd's, Genesis dvd's

Thanks for the heads up Mark (y)

I just picked this up on Amazon for £2!

Looking forward to hearing it this evening.

I picked mine up on Amazon, there are always cheap new ones under the used section. $1.78 at the moment.

The music covers a wide range, jazzy, a touch of rock, a bit folky, and even a touch of gospel. I find several tracks very catchy. It's written for and about his mother, who gave up a promising singing career to raise her children, became mentally ill and ultimately committed suicide. Incidentally, Shawn's father is "Famous Amos" of cookie fame. Garrison Starr guests on two tracks.

Nice extras and the whole thing is very well done. A decent 5.1 mix, nothing wild, but the surrounds are often used for background vocals and the like. Dolby Digital, unfortunately :(. This thread just reminded me that it was tucked in the distant corner of the multich disc shelf, and now it's spinning happily away.

Mark Z

Dolby Digital, unfortunately :(. "

With the most excellent Amos disc I think you should play the DTS stream. Yes there is one.:yikes If you need to know about all the surround Dualdiscs find the QQ SPREADSHEET. All the info is there.

"Nice extras and the whole thing is very well done. A decent 5.1 mix, nothing wild, but the surrounds are often used for background vocals and the like. Dolby Digital, unfortunately :(. This thread just reminded me that it was tucked in the distant corner of the multich disc shelf, and now it's spinning happily away."

With the most excellent Amos disc I think you should play the DTS stream. Yes there is one.:yikes If you need to know about all the surround Dualdiscs find the QQ SPREADSHEET. All the info is there.

Yep! Just discovered this for myself yesterday, its DTS and very nice it is too! I'm telling everybody I know who'll listen about this one! (not that many of my mates could care a rats' ass about surround music but still.. Gotta spread the word...)

Mark Z

Thanks for the info, I got this off amazon, $3.95 w/ free super-saver shipping, which is less than the $.01 ones, given their $4 shipping, and let me get the Spyra gyro sacd and Roy Orbison dvd/dvd-a that have been waiting for some company to get me over the $25 for free shipping.

$4 for a surround disc! It sounds very eclectic, looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks for the info, I got this off amazon, $3.95 w/ free super-saver shipping, which is less than the $.01 ones, given their $4 shipping, and let me get the Spyra gyro sacd and Roy Orbison dvd/dvd-a that have been waiting for some company to get me over the $25 for free shipping.

$4 for a surround disc! It sounds very eclectic, looking forward to hearing it.

which Spyro Gyra SACD did you get?

there are 5 MultiCh ones, all excellent surround mixes. if you're into jazzy fusion stuff, you can't go wrong with any of them.

my favourites "In Modern Times" (i.e. my fave album of the five.)

"Good To Go Go" has the most active mix -- absolutely amazing!

which Spyro Gyra SACD did you get?

there are 5 MultiCh ones, all excellent surround mixes. if you're into jazzy fusion stuff, you can't go wrong with any of them.

my favourites "In Modern Times" (i.e. my fave album of the five.)

"Good To Go Go" has the most active mix -- absolutely amazing!

See- I shoulda consulted you first! :worthy I got Wrapped in a Dream, but Good to Go was the other one in my wish list. They were the two cheapies of the 5 SG sacd's ($9.99). I woulda got GTG if I'd known it had the most active mix. But it's still there on my amazon wishlist, so it'll get got eventually. I have 4 SG albums and really like them- I'm into fusion. Don't know why it's taken me so long to start getting them in surround. If they were dvd-a's, I probably woulda got 'em a while ago.

See- I shoulda consulted you first! :worthy I got Wrapped in a Dream, but Good to Go was the other one in my wish list. They were the two cheapies of the 5 SG sacd's ($9.99). I woulda got GTG if I'd known it had the most active mix. But it's still there on my amazon wishlist, so it'll get got eventually. I have 4 SG albums and really like them- I'm into fusion. Don't know why it's taken me so long to start getting them in surround. If they were dvd-a's, I probably woulda got 'em a while ago.

haha! :p I'm hardly the QQ oracle! "LINDAAAAAA...where are you!?!??" ;)

"Wrapped In A Dream" is no surround slouch by any means, "Woogitybop" is hilarious! vocals panned all over the place!

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say for a fusion fan such as yourself from a surround point of view (even if musically some of its a bit "meh"!) the Spyro Gyra SA-CDs are all unmissable.

there's a load of Telarc/Heads Up jazzy stuff worth getting...
"Ray Sings, Basie Swings" is fabbo, there's a couple of Jaco Pastorius Big Band tribute albums in 5.1, the Brecker Brothers "Some Skunk Funk" live disc is another excellent one.

non-Jazz-wise, I must mention (if you really want to give your system a surround treat!) the Ladysmith Black Mambazo SACDs... knockout! :ugham:

Wow, it even has Ray Parker Jr. and Solomon Burke playing on it. I just listened to two tracks on grooveshark and they were really good. I think this is a no-brainer.

Can't wait for the DualDisc. This is why I love this community.

haha! :p I'm hardly the QQ oracle! "LINDAAAAAA...where are you!?!??" ;)

"Wrapped In A Dream" is no surround slouch by any means, "Woogitybop" is hilarious! vocals panned all over the place!

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say for a fusion fan such as yourself from a surround point of view (even if musically some of its a bit "meh"!) the Spyro Gyra SA-CDs are all unmissable.

there's a load of Telarc/Heads Up jazzy stuff worth getting...
"Ray Sings, Basie Swings" is fabbo, there's a couple of Jaco Pastorius Big Band tribute albums in 5.1, the Brecker Brothers "Some Skunk Funk" live disc is another excellent one.

non-Jazz-wise, I must mention (if you really want to give your system a surround treat!) the Ladysmith Black Mambazo SACDs... knockout! :ugham:

We all know QL is the Queen of Quad, but you seem to be a viable candidate for the Sultan of Surround. Thanks for the suggestions- a lot of that has been on my radar, but these days disposable income is very low, I really have to pick and choose very carefully- and generally go for the cheaper fixes, like the Shawn Amos or the Beatles Love that I could get used for $8. I waited a long time to get SW's Raven, I was so dying to hear it, esp. once I started reading the overwhelming rave reviews. Once I got it, I was so blown away I couldn't believe I had waited that long. Best thing he's ever done, imo, including PT. As soon as that bass kicks in on Luminol, you know you're in for a real treat. Sometimes delaying gratification pays off...

Back