HiRez Poll Collins, Judy - COLORS OF THE DAY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Judy Collins - COLORS OF THE DAY

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters
Hard to vote when we include content. For my tastes, only a few tracks are ones I'd visit again. But I'm so thankful that AF is releasing these quad mixes in a high quality format. So for that I would vote a 10, but material a 5, and surround a 7. I know there wasn't much to work with, these are old songs. So it averages out to a 7 from me. I've decided I can't buy releases just because they're out there, I have to be able to enjoy at least some of the material to make a purchase. This just squeaks in, I really do like Both Sides Now.

I agree the first track someday soon has a bit of a echo but for the rest I really enjoyed the mix and and liked the seperation.. Gave the disc a 9 and am glad I purchased it.

Hard to vote when we include content. For my tastes, only a few tracks are ones I'd visit again. But I'm so thankful that AF is releasing these quad mixes in a high quality format. So for that I would vote a 10, but material a 5, and surround a 7. I know there wasn't much to work with, these are old songs. So it averages out to a 7 from me. I've decided I can't buy releases just because they're out there, I have to be able to enjoy at least some of the material to make a purchase. This just squeaks in, I really do like Both Sides Now.

I understand completely. Feel the same was about the Alice Cooper release.

I understand completely. Feel the same was about the Alice Cooper release.

So, I assume -- not a good idea, I know -- that everyone here knows Judy Collins is Steven Stills' Judy Blue Eyes, as in "Suite Judy Blue Eyes"?

Yes?

Last edited:
When I purchased this disc I had never heard any of these songs or any songs by Judy Collins...the disc itself sounds very good with crystal clear vocals....I have quickly adapted to the content...which is certainly different from song to song...from the "unique" Farewell To Tarwathie...which gave me a flashback to the Star Trek Movie THE VOYAGE HOME with the whale sounds...I can still hear Scotty telling Kirk.."there be whales here".. to one of my favorite Christian hymns Amazing Grace...she has a "folk" vibe for the most part but can certainly change up on occasion....the surround effect is very subtle and I don't think an aggressive mix would fit this content...I'm giving this a 9...

When I purchased this disc I had never heard any of these songs or any songs by Judy Collins...the disc itself sounds very good with crystal clear vocals....I have quickly adapted to the content...which is certainly different from song to song...from the "unique" Farewell To Tarwathie...which gave me a flashback to the Star Trek Movie THE VOYAGE HOME with the whale sounds...I can still hear Scotty telling Kirk.."there be whales here".. to one of my favorite Christian hymns Amazing Grace...she has a "folk" vibe for the most part but can certainly change up on occasion....the surround effect is very subtle and I don't think an aggressive mix would fit this content...I'm giving this a 9...

Well, I knew Both Sides Now and to be honest, I thought that was Judy Collin's song...turns out Joni Mitchell released it in 1969. The version I know and remember well is Collin's version.

Whoa! As I type this - I'm looking on Wiki...and turns out Collins first released it, not Mitchell. Well, well. Who knew... OK, reading further...It WAS written by Mitchell, but released by Collins in 1967...then again by Mitchell in 1969. Duh......

:)

I have to try very hard not to give this a 10. I've always liked this album, but thought that the quad treatment would add marginally to the enjoyment of this disc which is mostly acoustic. Surprisingly, the improvement is way, way beyond my expectations. The quad really enhances Collins' beautiful voice on the acoustic tracks. Both Sides Now is cleaned up and has detail that really pops out compared to the stereo version.

On an comparative basis with the trusty old stereo version, I rate this one a 10. Yet on an absolute basis I still give it a solid 9.

I wasn't really into this back in the 70's and for me "Both Sides Now" was Joni Mitchel. In the 80's I purchased some 8-tracks from Larry Clifton's Surround Shop, this was one of them. I enjoyed it then, the ambience makes the room sound quite large, I just wonder if it's faked or the result of multi-miking in a large studio? This is my second favourite type of surround behind the gimmicky stuff. Of course the sound is several cuts above that of the Q8. It deserves at least an 8.

It's impossible for me to judge this objectively. This album was a wedding gift to my wife and I from a dear friend back in 1978 - who also included "Extrapolations" by John McClaughlin and "The Bridge" by Sonny Rollins - a pretty eclectic collection to say the least! I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of this Quad release - an unabashed 10!

It's impossible for me to judge this objectively. This album was a wedding gift to my wife and I from a dear friend back in 1978 - who also included "Extrapolations" by John McClaughlin and "The Bridge" by Sonny Rollins - a pretty eclectic collection to say the least! I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of this Quad release - an unabashed 10!

Thanks for sharing that background information...I love to hear those memories in relation to the music:)

The nature of the sound comes as a surprise. The UK stereo 45 of Both Sides Now sounds more mellow, with a fair bit more bass - and that that tinkly instrument whatever it might be is a lot less obtrusive. I am not sure how much is due to the difference in the tone between the disc player and the gramophone.

I thought Steve H. was supposed to master somewhat bass heavy with rounded top end, but this doesn't seem to be that way.

Needs further listening. Maybe this emphasises just how little music I have on both vinyl and SACD.

Does anybody else hear any distortion from the front right during Sunny Goode Street? It particularly stood out to me during vocals. It's the only track I detected this on, so I don't think I'm having a speaker issue. :confused:

**oops, hearing on Albatross too. Will have to check some reference discs.**

***checked two reference discs (IMO) - Gaucho and Songs From the Big Chair. No issues with the speaker***

Sorry, I gave it a 5, I just couldn't get into the performance and the sonics I felt where a little tinny to match her voice which is a bit trebley. Certainly would never be a reference disc at my place.

I wish I could give min:sec for the distortion I'm hearing on Sunny Goode Street and Albatross, but I can't.
It's really the whole song. Albatross sounds less good in stereo and less bad in quad, so maybe we should focus on SGS.
Nobody else hears distortion on the vocal for pretty much the entire song, particularly when bold bass notes are played?
Focus on the front right channel, as that is where it's worst on my system (though the front left vocal doesn't sound good either).
This is compared to 1) the stereo layer of both songs, 2) other tracks on the disc 3) youtube versions of the songs.

Swap back and forth between quad and stereo on SGS. The stereo vocal sounds clear and piping, like we want our JC.

I'd be willing to believe the quad tapes degraded or something. I'd just like to know I don't have a defective disc. I literally got up and checked my speakers for damage my first listen through.

Back