• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Converting MCH discs 101: Overview

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Reaction score
I should add a link to the SACD ripping thread using recent(ish) BD players (by J.Pupster I think)

EDIT: Done. Added to the first post (Beerking’s excellent Sony SACD ripping thread)

Last edited:

Strilo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
So I need a reminder, or a nudge to the right thread... I have some ISO files and I use macOS. How do I convert these to MCH FLAC files? I have iso2dvd and have the files now as DFF files, but I cannot remember how to make them into FLAC files.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Reaction score
Foobar2000 runs on a MAC. The Windows version can convert SACD ISOs direct to FLAC with the SACD plugin. I assume MAC Foobar can as well.

Strilo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
It cannot. However, I combed through all my posts and found where I previously got word on how to do this. Turns out there is a dsd2flac app for macOS and it worked both before and today. So I am set!

Strilo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Hey quick question on DVD Audio Extractor, doesn anyone know the tag for having the track name include a track number? Like how it has %CHAPTER% for the track name, does anyone know the code for track number?

neil wilkes

Reaction score
The easiest way to rip is to use a combination:
BD-A/V - Red Fox AnyDVD HD & DVD Audio Extractor (www.dvdae.com)
All DVD - the Red Fox tool is not needed, and this is true even for the watermarked Warner DVDA titles.
Currently dumping everything I have to FLAC using the tools above, which even go get the metadata too

Strilo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Does anyone know if/how I could make playlist files of the various songs I now have on a big external usb drive? I assume m3u but I don’t know if my Sony UBP X800 reads those. Also I use macOS for my computer.

Strilo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
So VLC could make the playlists? I tried and it doesn't seem my X800 even recognizes m3u files. It seems to just play the files in alphanumeric order, so the track numbers are the only way it works. Kind of lame for anything more than single album listening.

LuvMyQuad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
So VLC could make the playlists? I tried and it doesn't seem my X800 even recognizes m3u files. It seems to just play the files in alphanumeric order, so the track numbers are the only way it works. Kind of lame for anything more than single album listening.
I don't do playlists, but don't you have to tell it to play the playlist? Not the songs?

gene_stl

Reaction score
This is a subject I am interested in and have not noticed, after scanning through the whole thread, a reference to this thread on another forum.

Thread about ripping SACDs on the Forum "HiFi Haven"

This thread has been going on a couple of years and the moderator of it "MikeyFresh" helps anyone and everyone who tries it out and usually figures out where the problems are. The thread now has over 1,100 replies. HiFi Haven is also a pleasant group though for the most part, only oriented to stereo.

Another thing I have not noticed mention of, is the fact that you don't need an Oppo nor a Cambridge BD player. There are numerous Sony models that work great and are available for almost free.
The thread mentions which players of most/all brands that people have used successfully.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I don't think it will play copy protected blue-rays, which basically is all commercial blue-rays.
Déjà vu all over again LuvMYQuad; yup VLC is freeware so "no pay - no play" need: Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 Ultra;
I'm sure sooner or later you'll get it beaten into me :ROFLMAO:
I'll try and remember to order on Black Friday sales 11/29 -maybe.

LuvMyQuad

Reaction score
Déjà vu all over again LuvMYQuad; yup VLC is freeware so "no pay - no play" need: Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 Ultra;
I'm sure sooner or later you'll get it beaten into me :ROFLMAO:
I'll try and remember to order on Black Friday sales 11/29 -maybe.
Not just you. I think I've answered this question 4 times now and it still keeps getting asked.

LuvMyQuad

Reaction score
But it will play a blu ray iso file. But menu support is pretty wonky if it works at all.
K
Yes, conversion to ISO generally removes copy protection and DRM, I assume the pup was asking about playing a BR disk through a PC