Converting MCH discs 101: Overview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add a link to the SACD ripping thread using recent(ish) BD players (by J.Pupster I think)

EDIT: Done. Added to the first post (Beerking’s excellent Sony SACD ripping thread)

Last edited:
So I need a reminder, or a nudge to the right thread... I have some ISO files and I use macOS. How do I convert these to MCH FLAC files? I have iso2dvd and have the files now as DFF files, but I cannot remember how to make them into FLAC files.

Foobar2000 runs on a MAC. The Windows version can convert SACD ISOs direct to FLAC with the SACD plugin. I assume MAC Foobar can as well.

It cannot. However, I combed through all my posts and found where I previously got word on how to do this. Turns out there is a dsd2flac app for macOS and it worked both before and today. So I am set!

Hey quick question on DVD Audio Extractor, doesn anyone know the tag for having the track name include a track number? Like how it has %CHAPTER% for the track name, does anyone know the code for track number?

Does anyone know if/how I could make playlist files of the various songs I now have on a big external usb drive? I assume m3u but I don’t know if my Sony UBP X800 reads those. Also I use macOS for my computer.

So VLC could make the playlists? I tried and it doesn't seem my X800 even recognizes m3u files. It seems to just play the files in alphanumeric order, so the track numbers are the only way it works. Kind of lame for anything more than single album listening.

So VLC could make the playlists? I tried and it doesn't seem my X800 even recognizes m3u files. It seems to just play the files in alphanumeric order, so the track numbers are the only way it works. Kind of lame for anything more than single album listening.
I don't do playlists, but don't you have to tell it to play the playlist? Not the songs?

This is a subject I am interested in and have not noticed, after scanning through the whole thread, a reference to this thread on another forum.

Thread about ripping SACDs on the Forum "HiFi Haven"

This thread has been going on a couple of years and the moderator of it "MikeyFresh" helps anyone and everyone who tries it out and usually figures out where the problems are. The thread now has over 1,100 replies. HiFi Haven is also a pleasant group though for the most part, only oriented to stereo.

Another thing I have not noticed mention of, is the fact that you don't need an Oppo nor a Cambridge BD player. There are numerous Sony models that work great and are available for almost free.
The thread mentions which players of most/all brands that people have used successfully.

I don't think it will play copy protected blue-rays, which basically is all commercial blue-rays.

Déjà vu all over again LuvMYQuad; yup VLC is freeware so "no pay - no play" need: Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 Ultra;
I'm sure sooner or later you'll get it beaten into me :ROFLMAO:
I'll try and remember to order on Black Friday sales 11/29 -maybe.

Déjà vu all over again LuvMYQuad; yup VLC is freeware so "no pay - no play" need: Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 Ultra;
I'm sure sooner or later you'll get it beaten into me :ROFLMAO:
I'll try and remember to order on Black Friday sales 11/29 -maybe.
Not just you. I think I've answered this question 4 times now and it still keeps getting asked.

Back