Deep Purple - Made In Japan Blu Ray Audio in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0zer

I found this setlist on jpc.de. Has anyone information about this release being 5.1?

1 Highway Star (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
2 Child In Time (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
3 Smoke On The Water (Live In Osaka, Japan / 15th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
4 The Mule (Live In Tokyo, Japan / 17th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
5 Strange Kind Of Woman (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
6 Lazy (Live In Tokyo, Japan / 17th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
7 Space Truckin' (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Kevin Shirley 5.1 Mix)
8 Highway Star (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)
9 Child In Time (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)
10 Smoke On The Water (Live In Osaka, Japan / 15th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)
11 The Mule (Live In Tokyo, Japan / 17th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)
12 Strange Kind Of Woman (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)
13 Lazy (Live In Tokyo, Japan / 17th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)
14 Space Truckin' (Live In Osaka, Japan / 16th August 1972 / Martin Pullan 1972 5.1 Mix)

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/deep-purple-made-in-japan/hnum/4174836

Edit: Scrap that..! :D

Aren't 8-14 the same original LP track list and so the original album is there twice?

Maybe Universal meant to say there's a Stereo mix by Kevin Shirley and a 5.1 remix by Martin Pullan? Or vice versa!? What a mess!! :mad:@:

We will see. I am not a fan of the caveman by any means. His mixes are often unbalanced, he will have an instrument in one rear channel with noting in opposite one to balance it out. An example would be trumpets on Joe Bonamassa Bu Ray.

I thought this was 2.0 as somebody had previously stated? Is this a different one to box set?

All the info I'd found said it was Stereo only.. then out of leftfield an SHF member posted earlier that they found mention of 5.1 mixes on the BD-A listing somewhere online.. and from there I went and did some (hitherto inconclusive!) snooping.. and then it turned out d0zer had already posted here @QQ about it!

I got the blu ray yesterday. Forget about 5.1! Cover says "2013 remix/master, remixed and remastered from the original 1972 analogue multitrack masters" and "1972 mix, remastered from the original 1972 analogue stereo master". Sound formats are, as usual, LPCM 2.0, DTS-HD MA 2.0, and Dolby Tru HD 2.0. The 2013 remix sounds pretty good, though...

so they went right back to the multi's.. and only did a stereo remix :mad:

they've listed 16 tracks to flesh it out and make it look like better value for money when really you're just getting the same old numbers in the original '72 mix remastered and the Caveman's 2013 remix in Stereo.

why can't the people at Universal disseminate the facts?!? Are they employing morons who wouldn't know a 5.1 remix if it clobbered them over the head!?!

oh and how comes there's only the original album on the Blu-ray rather than extras? any extras! I guess that goes against the grain of the "Pure Audio" ethos :howl

Clueless arses, thieving bastards or dogmatic purists? Hmm... :mad:@:

If I were the head of this HFPA initiative I would hang my head in shame at the net result of what it's achieved so far.. amateurish, un-coordinated, ignorant of their target audience, patent lack of effort, lack of transparency of mastering and source (until pushed on the subject).. it's almost like they have learned absolutely no lessons from their mistakes of the past, yet the HFPA head talks about SACD and how and why it "failed" like he's swallowed the Hi-Res history book and he's going to conquer the world with a half-baked Blu-ray with absolutely bugger all but the original album on it in dubious sound quality.

Unless there's more 5.1 on these HFPA's I'm done with them. The mastering is too inconsistent to buy them on a whim purely for Stereo.

case in point, the difference in sound quality between the HFPA and the Platinum SHM of Supertramp/Breakfast In America is stark.. and even though the SHM came from Japan, it cost me ÂŁ20 including shipping and the HFPA was ÂŁ25 incl shipping when I got it from France 12 months ago. The SHM takes up less space, has more faithful packaging to the old LP, etc but most importantly it sounds a hell of a lot better - and it's just a CD, no extravagant waste of high capacity disc space. GRRRRRR...!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :howl:flame

They need to realize the people who Blu Ray Audio discs appeal too WANT 5.1.

They need to realize the people who Blu Ray Audio discs appeal too WANT 5.1.

Yep! "Sod 'em if its Stereo!" is my motto with HFPA from now on.

I was skeptical to say the least about the Platinum SHM jobs from Japan but really the Supertramp/Breakfast In America Platinum SHM absolutely grabs the HFPA by its boots, flips it upside down and wipes the floor with it, rips its head off, shits down its neck and throws it off the nearest cliff..!!!! In other words, the HFPA is slightly better than average, the new SHM is jaw-droppingly good!

... rips its head off, shits down its neck and throws it off the nearest cliff..!!!!

:yikes

And you guys thought, I was a bit extreme.:rolleyes:

@Fredblue: Don't ever change baby. Keep it real. (y)

IIRC, this recording has always sounded thin. Not a real full sounding live recording. I hope the 5.1 mix adds some depth & fullness to the sound stage.
This was DP at the peak, IMHO... I'd also love a 5.1 mix of Who do we think we Are.

IIRC, this recording has always sounded thin. Not a real full sounding live recording. I hope the 5.1 mix adds some depth & fullness to the sound stage.
This was DP at the peak, IMHO... I'd also love a 5.1 mix of Who do we think we Are.

Sadly it seems there is no 5.1 on the Blu-ray of Made In Japan... what a load of old cobblers! BOOOOOO!!! :p

Oh and if you like David Coverversion's incarnation of DP (as I do) get ready for the ultimate kick in the danglies.. apparently Warner had "Burn" remixed into 5.1 for DVD-A but it got canned when they pulled the plug! :(

There is no 5.1 mix.

But the new 2.0 mix is good? How does it compare to the same tracks on the 'complete' Tokyo gigs set released some years back (which was also remixed)?

And is Richie Blackmore on the left channel and Jon Lord on the right, like on the original album mixed by Glover and Paice? Or vice versa, being mixed from the audience point of view, like the tripple CD "Live in Japan"?

-Kristian

Back