• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Definitive formats for all Titles ?

HDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I've pondered this before, to help newcomers to surround or just wanting to make an informed purchase. What is the best release to buy so you can have a collection with the best mix and or features.
For example the Beck "Sea Change" title has 3 surround sound options, DVD-Audio, Sacd and Blu-Ray. Since I've never owned all of these to compare audio, I'd advise the DVD-Audio version because of the videos included.
Queen "A Night at the Opera" I own all the Surround released and recommend the 1st release over the 2005 mix, (but I still prefer Blu-Ray format over others). The 2001 Scheiner mix may be hard to acquire.
Most of the earlier DVD-Audio's we're then released on the Sacd format and mixes didn't change, so you buy the one that's cheaper or readily available.
Not all have multiple format surround releases
Besides Deep Purple Machine Head the consensus is the EMI Sacd Quad release what about these....
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
L.A. Woman
Gaucho
AB Fillmore East
Etc.

Beefalo

Reaction score
I've pondered this before, to help newcomers to surround or just wanting to make an informed purchase. What is the best release to buy so you can have a collection with the best mix and or features.
For example the Beck "Sea Change" title has 3 surround sound options, DVD-Audio, Sacd and Blu-Ray. Since I've never owned all of these to compare audio, I'd advise the DVD-Audio version because of the videos included.
Queen "A Night at the Opera" I own all the Surround released and recommend the 1st release over the 2005 mix, (but I still prefer Blu-Ray format over others). The 2001 Scheiner mix may be hard to acquire.
Most of the earlier DVD-Audio's we're then released on the Sacd format and mixes didn't change, so you buy the one that's cheaper or readily available.
Besides Deep Purple Machine Head the consensus is the EMI Sacd Quad release what about these....
L.A. Woman
Gaucho
AB Fillmore East
Etc.
I like SACD's the best because I'm lazy. No menu to deal with. Put them in and they play....

Beefalo

Reaction score
L.A. Woman
Gaucho
AB Fillmore East
Etc.
I like SACD's the best because I'm lazy. No menu to deal with. Put them in and they play....

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Never liked SACDs.
The best one , and being royalty free is DVD-As (and backward compatibility).
Blu Rays are the next best but .. you gotta pay....
DVD~A was always my favorite format, Kap but the sad reality was back in the early 00's, SONY was instrumental in licensing their format to UMG, TELARC and other labels who switched their allegiance from DVD~A>SACD and when the Elton Johns all came out on SACD .....it was pretty clear who won THAT format war and MOST especially when Pink Floyd's DSOTM which was originally slated for a DVD~A release suddenly shifted gears and was released on mch SACD!

But essentially, IMO, there's nothing wrong with SACD. ALL the classical labels who tout their audiophile status have embraced it over the years and with improved DACs and Players, the format has literally thrived.

BD~A with its UBER capacity, IMO, should've surpassed SACD as THE reigning champ ..... but due to UMG's ill fated BD~A launch [a disaster, IMO], SONY and Warners cancelled their 'launches' and BD~A titles continue to 'trickle' out as 'boutique' items.

If Dolby Atmos catches on, BD~A will reign surpreme as neither DVD~A nor SACD can compete with the versatility of the newest kid on the block ..... blu ray audio!

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
What is the best release to buy so you can have a collection with the best mix and or features.
An impossible question to answer really, as it differs on a title-by-title basis. Depending on the title, the difference could be the mix itself, the mastering, or the lineage of the surround track (whether the source files were originally PCM or DSD converted to PCM, etc). Not to mention there are inherent biases about some codecs sounding better than others, so you may have situations where the mix and mastering are identical, but some listeners swear that one version sounds better than the other.

Also - not to kill the discussion - but I think it might be worth reposting this excerpt from the QQ banner:
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 8.40.23 PM.jpg

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
An impossible question to answer really, as it differs on a title-by-title basis. Depending on the title, the difference could be the mix itself, the mastering, or the lineage of the surround track (whether the source files were originally PCM or DSD converted to PCM, etc). Not to mention there are inherent biases about some codecs sounding better than others, so you may have situations where the mix and mastering are identical, but some listeners swear that one version sounds better than the other.

Also - not to kill the discussion - but I think it might be worth reposting this excerpt from the QQ banner:
View attachment 44083
I don't think that QQ disclaimer of pitting one format against the other in this particular thread is relevant. It's more of a discussion of what format suits who. It's ashame we still have THREE viable formats for music at this late date but the fact they're co~existing is FACT and we, as music lovers, have NO say in what format a particular album is being released in. Then we also have the LOSSY formats ..... DTS and Dolby Digital on DVD~V which also enter into the equation.

And to be perfectly honest and on target: SACD is the victorious format since for music; it has had more releases than DVD~A and BD~A combined ...... by a VERY wide margin.

And thankfully, UNIVERSAL players which play all these formats are still being manufactured in 2019! And the very fact that not all players are created equal [some are WAY better than others] will also enter into the bias of what format sounds better on an individual's system....not to mention the individual's electronics/speaker system and listening environment, factors, of which, ALL contribute to the enjoyment and ultimate quality of the music!

Last edited:

HDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
The Allman Brothers Band ‎– At Fillmore East: The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings
3 × Blu-ray, Blu-ray Audio, Stereo, Multichannel

https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-At-Fillmore-East-The-1971-Fillmore-East-Recordings/release/6054647
Exactly what I'm wondering which of this titles releases would be the best to buy for Audio ? not a Sacd vs dvd-a vs Blu-Ray issue here at all just experienced members with a large collection to help others choose the Definitive release. I don't own this and some members may have all starting from the 97 DTS release. What sounds better, easy question without adding speakers, and other technical variables or babble blah blah blah.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Exactly what I'm wondering which of this titles releases would be the best to buy for Audio ? not a Sacd vs dvd-a vs Blu-Ray issue here at all just experienced members with a large collection to help others choose the Definitive release. I don't own this and some members may have all starting from the 97 DTS release. What sounds better, easy question without adding speakers, and other technical variables or babble blah blah blah.
In the case of this title, all three releases are entirely different surround mixes. My favorite of the three is the DTS-CD, which contains the original quad mix. The quad mix is very discrete with the guitars isolated in the rear channels. The SACD (5.1 mix by Jeff Glixman) and Blu-Ray (5.1 mix by Kevin Reeves) are more typical concert hall/ambient surround.

HDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
This is what I've wanted to do, is to have a list of preferred or the definitive one of those available.
Well so far 2 titles for a list....
Deep Purple Machine Head the EMI Sacd with the original quad and....
Allman Brothers Fillmore East 1997 DTS CD with the original quad. This has had 4 MCH releases and I just bought it for a fair price like new condition thanks to sjcorne recommendation.

Hit the number of 420 .......don't know if I should call it good now or try for 666.

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Allman Brothers Fillmore East 1997 DTS CD with the original quad. This has had 4 MCH releases and I just bought it for a fair price like new condition thanks to sjcorne recommendation.
Not necessarily definitive, just my opinion - I'm sure others will chime in and disagree :)

proufo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
The best one , and being royalty free is DVD-As (and backward compatibility).
If your system is analog-based, getting (and preserving) a nice DVD-A player is a nightmare.

Blu-ray players with mch analog outputs are old technology too but newer, so directionally less prone to failure (and have higher availability at ebay).

I wonder if AVCHD is royalty-free. If so, that would be my definitive formal.

Next weekend I will replace the laser assemblies of my current Marantz 7001 and of my given-up-for-dead Marantz 7600. I hope to have at least one of them playing both SACD and DVD-A without any issues.