Deluxe Edition of "Imagine" Coming Soon! (Remixed 5.1 and Remastered Quad audio)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, interesting! :cool:

It's a great album - a classic! Although I'm really not sure if it's that suitable for a surround mix?! And yes the quad is supposedly terrible so I'm not sure?! Would happily get it again on blu ray if it has a new surround mix and be proven wrong. Already have the stereo version...

I altered the thread title so that way people would know what the thread is about... ;)

"Imagine" has always been my favorite John Lennon album (with "Jealous Guy" being one of my favorite songs of his) and unlike his first solo record after the Beatles breakup ("Plastic Ono Band") this is a finely produced and layered record that would perfectly lend itself to an amazing 5.1 surround mix.
If this upcoming box set has a new 5.1 surround mix, I'll gladly buy it. Otherwise, it's an easy pass.

BTW, I always wondered why John Lennon's solo catalogue has not already been released in 5.1 surround.
It's well-known that most of John Lennon's solo albums were remixed in stereo from 2000-2005 (and overall I find those new stereo mixes to be far superior to the original stereo mixes) so I always wondered why they never mixed these albums in 5.1 surround while they were doing the stereo remixes. It was right during the hey-day (if you could call it that...) of SACD and DVDA-V discs.

This could be an expensive year for Beatles fans though because besides this release there's also talk of a 50th anniversary box set for the White album and now I hear that Archive Collection editions of the Wings albums "Wild Life" and "Red Rose Speedway" could also be released this year.
Now we just need George and Ringo to join in with the fun as well!

:)

"Just remixed and fiddled about with" doesn't exactly tell us much about their intentions regarding the new 'remaster' of Imagine....with NOT even a hint of a 5.1 remaster!

For shits and giggles, wish they had included the 1970 era QUAD remix on the BD~A from the original analogue masters. Was it really THAT bad? Might've sounded better if properly decoded [might've been a BAD encode]. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Was it really THAT bad?

Completely faked- ambiance in the rears, muddy sound (of course the 8 track fidelity doesn't help). I think you'd get better results playing it through PLII. The SQ LP is even more of a mess as it's not discrete to begin with it.

Walls & Bridges happens to have a decent quad mix though- I'd like to see that one get out one day. However, the 5.1 remixes of tracks from that album on the Lennon Legend DVD comp are superior IMO.

Completely faked- ambiance in the rears, muddy sound (of course the 8 track fidelity doesn't help). I think you'd get better results playing it through PLII. The SQ LP is even more of a mess as it's not discrete to begin with it.

Walls & Bridges happens to have a decent quad mix though- I'd like to see that one get out one day. However, the 5.1 remixes of tracks from that album on the Lennon Legend DVD comp are superior IMO.

YIKES......how did Lennon/Apple allow that botch job to slip through the cracks? The BD~A sounds good [based on the 2010 remaster] but the backgrounds [read hiss level] aren't as quiet as the Sgt. Pepper BD~A 5.1 remix so I know there's still room for improvement.

Back