DENON AVR-X2600H - Any thoughts?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon, your current Denon will have better amplifiers than any of the current models. Have you considered buying a new Denon AVR with Atmos Decoder (e.g. 4400H) and using as a preamp to your old AVR like I’ve done in post below.

This will give you up to 11 amps for up to 7.1.4 using your old AVR to drive the main 5 speakers as it does now and new AVR to drive the rest:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...tmos-releases-so-far.26636/page-3#post-435635
That’s a great point. The positives to using an AVR as a pre-pro are two-fold. 1) Depending on which model, they usually cost less. 2) you can use a separate amp for the main channels and the amps in the AVR to drive your Atmos speakers. This is what I do. Except, I use active speakers in place of separate amps.

I bought my Onkyo TX-NR809 avr from Accessories4less (factory refurbished) about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. I plan to get the Denon X4400H hopefully pretty soon from them and I'm just going to use my old 809 to power the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers. :)

I'm very happy with the 5.1.4 configuration of the AVR-X6500H that I bought last December. I was considering the X6400H, but the price was close enough that I went with the later model. A feature comparison on Denon's site indicates the only difference is HDR support, but I think this is just a firmware upgrade; so the 6400 should be fine if the price is right. To compare features, go to the bottom of the Denon AVR-X6400H page and plug in any current Denon model to compare it with.

Well thanks everyone. You've really come through. Saved me from an impulse purchase that probably would have been a disappointment, and made me think about all of the options I have to think about before I take that Atmos leap.

The main thing I have to consider is that I won't be in this house after a few more years, so trenching down for Atmos would not be cost effective. When I do it, I want to do it right. I have to admit I was inspired a lot by Garry (HomerJAU) and his room construction. That's the kind of thing I tend to lean to. Of course, it's expensive and takes time, but the end results usually pay off.

For now I am sticking with the 4311ci as it does the job, sounds good, and keeps my wife happy as we already own it. :) She puts up with all of the money I spend on the hobby, including QQ, so I don't want to push the issue at this point. Like I said, this was all triggered by that little harmless email.

So, now back to your regularly scheduled forum rambling. Again, thanks everyone!

I bought my Onkyo TX-NR809 avr from Accessories4less (factory refurbished) about 8 years ago and it's still going strong. I plan to get the Denon X4400H hopefully pretty soon from them and I'm just going to use my old 809 to power the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers. :)

After my Son was part of Best Buy's management the refurbished item got looked at as the best deals available IMO. Someone returns an item for numerous reasons and a defective product is almost non existent. The 1st being cost and having buyer's remorse, the family budget doesn't allow for the expenditure. Others are a testing of competitive brands, than making a decision. They always test every electronics returned and mark them down as an Open Box. Depending on the location on how long or how low of a price before the unit sells, but typically a month. It then goes back to the manufacturer and gets tested again and repackaged and shipped to resellers of refurbished items.
Accessories4less
Safeandsound
I've now bought 2 AVR's this way and will always check a refurbished 1st.
Hell the Marantz I bought even had the static stickers on the front like it went from one box to another and a $700.00 discount.😄

I was able to get the Denon X6400H when the 6500 came out, and I got it for a significant price reduction. I still think it was expensive but it was also a big step up from my previous 2200 model.
I think the amplifiers and the DACs are good in the 6400. I’ve only been able to compare it to a Cambridge Audio AVR and that was slightly more musical. But that was a quick comparison. I’d buy denon again anytime for the features it has.

I'm very happy with the 5.1.4 configuration of the AVR-X6500H that I bought last December. I was considering the X6400H, but the price was close enough that I went with the later model. A feature comparison on Denon's site indicates the only difference is HDR support, but I think this is just a firmware upgrade; so the 6400 should be fine if the price is right. To compare features, go to the bottom of the Denon AVR-X6400H page and plug in any current Denon model to compare it with.
HDR support may not necessarily be a firmware only upgrade. HDR requires a minimum of HDMI 2.0a. If the receiver lacks HDR, it probably has HDMI 2.0 , which will not support HDR. If this is important, please check before you buy.

Something to be mindful of too is the option to hook up something like a Surround Master, discrete multi analog source, or vintage quad decoder. Meaning a discrete analog multi-channel input option. Sadly this key feature (for many of us here) is becoming quite rare.

Video:

HDR10
HDR10+
Dolby Vision
HLG

Audio:

Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Surround
Dolby Atmos
Dolby Height Virtualization
DTS HD Master
DTS X
DTS Neo:X
DTS Neural:X
DTS Virtual:X
Auro-3D
Auro-2D
Auromatic (upmixer)

When will it end?!

1563849494245.jpeg

I just got one for just over $700.00 from an authorized seller on ebay. I liked all the specs, the power, current technologies, the "rumored" ability to upgrade to the new hdmi standard when it released, etc. However, I honestly can't tell much of a difference between this and my old Pioneer 1130vsx. I gained atmos and some other stuff, but soundwise, it really seems the same. I even got new speakers and think that is the biggest difference. It was a great deal when looking at other items, but I still question whether I needed to spend the money for atmos. I like the fake atmos and it can sound amazing, but like stated, there isn't that much available, and I have the cheater speakers, not in ceiling (I rent, so can't just put holes anywhere) so not getting the best separation. What you can hear is really cool, but for me setup the atmos stuff mainly blends with everything else in surround because it is typically something quick or loud. Anyway, just my observations.

That's a great price - only $100 more than a refurbished one. I have an AVR-X6500H and love it.

When I was looking for an additional AVR for my living area I went for the next model up (3500 at the time). Better room correction and slightly bigger amps from memory

Edit: Not relevant to the post - apologies

Last edited:
Just an innocent question about 11 channel:
When you play an Atmos selection do you utilize the rear surround speakers in addition to the rear Atmos speakers?

I bought this yesterday, can't wait to have it at home this coming sunday

Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 9.2 Channel 4k UltraHD Network A/V Receiver

xVCEOJs.jpg

LGov9sh.jpg

KSXrCLZ.jpg

• Direct energy amplification at 120W Channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.08 %, 2Ch Driven, FTC)/ 230 W/Ch. (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10 %, 1Ch Driven)
  • Supports 5.2.4 and 7.2.2-Ch speaker layouts and 7.2.4 (11.2) with the addition of an external 2 Ch. amplifier for immersive Dolby Atmos & DTS: X soundtracks
  • Your Pioneer receiver can now be part of your existing Sonos Home Sound System, or the start of a new one. Instantly upgrade the music streaming capability of your home theater receiver with Sonos Connect and a free firmware update.
  • 4K Ultra HD pass-through with HDCP 2.2, Dolby vision compatible with HDR10, HLG and BT.2020 support (4K/60p/4: 4: 4/24-bit) and 1080p to 4K upscaling
  • Powered zone 3/Zone2 allows you to experience legendary ELITE Audio quality in secondary locations such as a home office or Patio. Bluetooth Wireless Technology (Version: 4.1 + LE, Profile: A2DP 1.2/AVRCP 1.3, Codec: SBC/AAC) Built-in
  • Elite's MCCAC Auto room Tuning featuring phase control, subwoofer EQ and multi-point standing wave control ensures the Premier home theater calibration

From amazon, total price - $588.49 tax and delivery included

Jon,

I'll let you know what I think after the set up. My past experience with Pioneer Elite receivers in 20 years has been awesome. I don't know if you like Pioneer Elite receivers because for me Pioneer Elite receivers are number one, Marantz receivers number two and Denon receivers number three based on their sound to my ears, at the end it's a matter of taste.

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Back