Depeche Mode SACDs: DVD Region Codes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hi all.

I just bought Depeche Mode's "Playing the Angel" on SACD, and I'm unable to play the DVD in any of my DVD players as it is PAL and some Region other than 0 or 1. I have never usually had a problem with Region-less PAL DVDs as all of my Genesis SACDs (except for "The Lamb") are Region-less PAL DVDs, and they play perfectly in my Pioneer Blu-Ray/DVD-A/SACD player.

So my question is, are there restricted regions on the other 10 Depeche Mode SACD/DVD releases? Cause if so, then I will save myself the time and money and just buy the domestic US CD/DVD releases. Even though the surround mix is the main thing I'm after, apparently (like the Genesis reissues), these Depeche Mode reissues have nice visual extras too, which I'd like to be able to see.

Thanks! :)

I only have the Violator SACD/PAL DVD version and its plays great on my Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition. Can't tell you about any of the others.

I only have the Violator SACD/PAL DVD version and its plays great on my Oppo BDP-83 Special Edition. Can't tell you about any of the others.

The Oppo BDP-83 is a Region-Free player though, so the region of the DM DVDs would not matter for that player, correct?

No its not region free, but it will play both NTSC and PAL region free (zero) discs. If its another region beside zero or one you need a modified region free player

No its not region free, but it will play both NTSC and PAL region free (zero) discs. If its another region beside zero or one you need a modified region free player

Ok, well thanks for that info. I didn't necessarily see that "Violator" said "Regions 2 to 6" on that disc, but on a few other DM reissues, I saw that on the pics on Discogs.

Another question I have is: did DM ever release the SACDs with an NTSC DVD, or are the SACD versions strictly PAL only?

Another question I have is: did DM ever release the SACDs with an NTSC DVD, or are the SACD versions strictly PAL only?

AFAIK, the SACD/DVD-V versions were EU/ROTW only and the U.S. got CD/DVD-V only. I've no idea why that was, but I'm sure someone here will :)

Once stocks of the EU SACD version ran out, all we got was the CD/DVD-V version, hence why the SACD versions are highly sought after.

One odd thing was Playing The Angel CD was packaged in a super jewel case (SACD case) in the USA. Totally nuts.

Yeah, these Depeche Mode sets are all over the place and sometimes you can’t even tell what’s what.

I’ve been trying to collect them all. So far I have 5. A Rhino edition of “Violator” and a an European edition of “Music For The Masses” with an SACD layer that both play fine.

But I have European editions of “Construction Time Again”, “Ultra” and “Speak and Spell”. The latter two I bought from the same seller at the same time and they were both shipped to me at the same time. All three discs have identical markings. No SACD layer. All are PAL. All are Sony/BMG releases. All came sealed.

But only “Speak and Spell” plays. The other two come up as “wrong region code”. (my player plays both NTSC and PAL but only Region 1 DVDs). The other two are Region 2. Now that I look at the closer, they both have the same UPC code except for the last number. Could they have been from a boxed set originally?

In any case, I was able to rip them and burn them and get around the region, but be warned that unless you have an all-region DVD player, these discs can be VERY hard to discern!

I guess I'm fortunate that the copy of Violator I got on Discogs a few years ago was the correct one, plays in my stuff and sounds great.

Here’s the list of european versions I own (first editions with SACD):

All regions (even though not stated in the back cover):
  • Speak & Spell
  • Music for The Masses
  • Violator
Back cover states Regions 2 to 6 (and is correct)
A Broken Frame

Back cover states Region 2 to 8 (even though the correct are 2 to 6)
  • Some Great Reward
  • Songs Of Faith And Devotion
Regions 2 to 6 (although not stated in the back cover):
  • Exciter
  • Playing The Angel
All of them are PAL and where tested with my oppo 203 and oppo 95 (multiregion mod), and in my lap with PowerDVD.

It seems that the newer versions (CD/DVD) were not homologated. :unsure:

Saludos!

Last edited:
Back