Does anyone know the reliability of Akai GW- 270D SS 4 channel quadraphonic reel to reel tape decks ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the reliability of Akai GW- 270D SS
4 channel quadraphonic REEL TO REEL TAPE DECKS?
Forty years ago it was probably very reliable. Today I guess it will be pretty much the toss of a coin every time you switch it on. Good luck!

The GX-270D-SS and GX-630D-SS were top of the line machines. Many are still working and sought after today.
Of course, they will be a product of how they were stored and maintained over the past 40+ years. Dirty switches and contacts might be an issue with any vintage electronics, but the core machine was excellent in its day.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had heard from one tech that the control boards tend to go bad in the Akai decks. Have you heard the same or not?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had heard from one tech that the control boards tend to go bad in the Akai decks. Have you heard the same or not?
I've seen a few reports of failed Servo Control PCBs - but I'd be surprised if they didn't tend to fail after 40 years.

In researching online for the same deck I have in storage, I learned that the transistors could get noisy with age and the many relays could fail. There are upgrade kits online, but I prefer to get a tech to do it for me. Techs have diagnostic knowledge that I don't have and my eyes aren't as sharp as they used ro be with a soldering iron (OUCH!). The mechanics and glass heads should last forever with reasonable care. The motors also have capacitors that may need or want changing to restore the torque to the reels for winding faster. I quit trying to repair my 270 when I found a 630D-SS that needed a little loving for less than the 270 cost me. One day I will try to sort it out so I can say I didn't give up on it. Now if I could just find a head cover for my 630...

The GX-270D-SS and GX-630D-SS were top of the line machines. Many are still working and sought after today.
Of course, they will be a product of how they were stored and maintained over the past 40+ years. Dirty switches and contacts might be an issue with any vintage electronics, but the core machine was excellent in its day.
Good information to know; thanks

If there is any similarity to the 280D-SS line of machines, the most common failure point is the Sanyo-sourced transistors. When my tech serviced my 280D-SS, my issue was unreliable channel output. My tech explained that in his 40+ years of experience, he's replaced an inordinate amount of Sanyo transistors and when he opened my deck and spotted a healthy amount of Sanyo transistors, he suggested replacing them all. My dead channel was caused by a bad Sanyo LD3141 output transistor and he also replaced every C458 in the entire machine. I think it was worth every penny as that was over a year ago and my deck has operated flawlessly since then.

Thanks for updating me on the Akai GX 270D SS

The biggest difference between the two machines is the 270 only takes 7 inch reels. This is perfect if all you want is commercially recorded reels. The 630 has 10 inch reel capability. The heads, motors and electronics are essentially equal. I think the 630 may have better servo/relay electronics as they seem to not fail as much as the 270. If the 270 is gonna fail, it probably has already. If it is working well now, you are likely okay for quite a while.

The biggest difference between the two machines is the 270 only takes 7 inch reels. This is perfect if all you want is commercially recorded reels. The 630 has 10 inch reel capability. The heads, motors and electronics are essentially equal. I think the 630 may have better servo/relay electronics as they seem to not fail as much as the 270. If the 270 is gonna fail, it probably has already. If it is working well now, you are likely okay for quite a while.
Thank you for getting back with me so promptly. The 270 I am buying from a friend has been in storage for the past 2 years in a climate-controlled attic room.

I would get your friend to show you it currently works. The relays can be flaky. If it works, it will be a nice deck. If it doesn't work reliably when you try it, you can perhaps bargain against the cost of a tech visit.

I would get your friend to show you it currently works. The relays can be flaky. If it works, it will be a nice deck. If it doesn't work reliably when you try it, you can perhaps bargain against the cost of a tech visit.
I picked the 270 up from my friend on Friday last week and am trying it out with no commitments. I played it over the weekend and it sounds fine to me. The only thing is that I can't hoop up all 4 channels since I don't have a quad receiver or 4 speakers. Any suggestions based upon my current status?

Thanks

I picked the 270 up from my friend on Friday last week and am trying it out with no commitments. I played it over the weekend and it sounds fine to me. The only thing is that I can't hoop up all 4 channels since I don't have a quad receiver or 4 speakers. Any suggestions based upon my current status?

Thanks

Do all 4 meters move normally during playback? If so, that's a good sign.

You can play two channels at a time through an amp or headphones. I am not really worried about the deck's audio electronics except that the transistors can get hissy with age. If there is an abnormal amount of hiss when not playing a tape, it needs relatively minor transistor changes.

You can play two channels at a time through an amp or headphones. I am not really worried about the deck's audio electronics except that the transistors can get hissy with age. If there is an abnormal amount of hiss when not playing a tape, it needs relatively minor transistor changes.
Okay; thanks for the advice. I am very coachable and will remember what you recommended to me.

Back