Dolby Atmos - from a ripping/archiving angle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the MKV file doesn’t have the Atmos track. Try ripping again in MakeMKV and ensure the Atmos track is selected

I am trying DVD Fab as I type.

3.jpg

Well, I give up - for now.

It appears that DVD FAB will only extract 5.1. So that's out. It does show that the disc has 7.1 audio on it.

DVD Audio Explorer see copy protection and bails.

MakeMKV extracts 3 .mkv files, but AudioMuxer does not see 7.1, only 5.1

Even Music Helper (above) only sees 5.1.

In the general scheme of things it's really no big deal. I don't have an Atmos setup, and can't play 7.1 on the PC, so it's really just an "adventure" that I was looking for.

Could it be that the PC only does 5.1 that is limiting the software?

Can you please try MakeMKV again but ensure you open the Audio (treeview node) section and select the Atmos or TrueHD audio tracks before ripping. I’m sure that will work.

Can you please try MakeMKV again but ensure you open the Audio (treeview node) section and select the Atmos or TrueHD audio tracks before ripping. I’m sure that will work.

Of course, by your command! :)

You’ll probably find that a couple of those titles are videos or bonus stuff and one the actual album in Atmos/7.1. You can tell by playing or looking at the number of chapters vs album track count.

VERY COOL! Thanks Garry for setting me straight. I knew it was something I was screwing up. Here's a look at Track 1.

This thing sounds incredible. Tomorrow I will really dig into it.

5.jpg

Nice work Jon, but isn't what you have there still a downmix from Atmos to 7.1? Is there extra discrete info still being folded down in the 7.1 rip?

I still stand by my comment before that when you play the disc live and decode with an Atmos-equppied reciever, the actual Atmos audio stream is somehow adaptive to however many speakers are in your setup. The question is how many discrete channels were used when they actually mixed this title in the studio.

I still think four channels was enough for music...

Nice work Jon, but isn't what you have there still a downmix from Atmos to 7.1? Is there extra discrete info still being folded down in the 7.1 rip?

I still stand by my comment before that when you play the disc live and decode with an Atmos-equppied reciever, the actual Atmos audio stream is somehow adaptive to however many speakers are in your setup. The question is how many discrete channels were used when they actually mixed this title in the studio.

I still think four channels was enough for music...

I have no clue! :eek: I was only hoping for 7.1 just to futz around with it. It's very nice to see it's not brickwalled and I took the last two channels, as they won't play on my PC, and pasted them into a stereo file just to listen to them and they sounded great. I am not sure how I will be able to listen to this properly, but I can safely say at this point in my life going beyond 7.1 is not happening, so anything out there in the mix is going to have to be reeled in for me to hear it.

I didn’t end up adding Atmos ceilings in my new place. Just 7.1 for now. I’m trying to resist the urge especially due to the difficult speaker cable runs which will require many holes in gyprock walls and ceilings. After the previous recent Ethernet and speaker cable run damage/repair project my wife will freak!

Hi everyone,
What kind of software are you using for 7.1file playback on Mac ?
DAWs are only solution but too much complicated to listen music.

I use Audirvana for stereo and 5.1 playback but 7.1 is not supported.
Two channels are gone when played 7.1file on Audirvana.
I tried to find other player softwares then gave up all..
Finally I found out afplay ( command line OS play engine) can play 7.1flac and 7.1aiff.
Output 8 channels are perfect assigned to output channels. also sound quality is very nice.
Only a problem is afplay run single file. no good for whole album playback.

Garry, Thanks.
I tested FB2000 on Mac 2.1.50. Some 5.1 files could not sound out. and 7.1 files are also no sound.
I wonder output device selection. I can only select Built-in and Default.
I choose Default, I think Default depends on audio MIDI setup on Mac.
Am I wrong ? or requires any plug-inn?

I’m using Windows so not sure what settings are required on a MAC, I was hoping it would ‘just work’.

Maybe try a few settings or start a new thread for MAC multichannel setup and one of our many MAC users should help advise.

Thanks Garry. I post new thread "Dolby Atmos (7.1 file) Playback on Mac ?"

Can I open and adjust atmos tracks in audacity? Then how do I play? I have Oppo93.

Good question about adjusting in audacity. My guess is it may screw with the metadata but I am not sure. There are still questions I have about the metadata, and exactly where the metadata draws from for the top/height channels.

The 93 can only play back Atmos from discs without hacking or using lower firmware I think.

Back