Dream Theater Distance Over Time CD/5.1 BluRay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of prefer it without clipping myself.

There are a handful of instantaneous moments of light clipping in my tweak, but to me they were inaudible, and from what I've read, Audacity considers 0.0dB to be clipping, whereas I always thought that technically it was anything above that level. Nevertheless, you got me thinking that after all of the work I put into trying to fix this, then why leave in the light clipping? Plus I probably did go a bit overboard with the LFE too. So I'm in the process of trying it again.

I'm really a total noob to this retweaking stuff and just going with what I can figure out as I go, but one thing that I don't quite understand about your version is the adding of the mids/highs from the fronts into the rears, if I'm understanding your post correctly. Is it to add a bit of blend between the two? If anything, to me this recording needs all the discrete help it can get, what with all the splattery reverb all around, especially in the rears.

Edit: Also this surround mix has some of the most track-to-track discrepencies that I've ever heard. Some songs seem similarly mixed, but others seem vastly different.

Last edited:
I just received my copy and from much of the discussion here, my expectations were low.

First of all, I'm really liking the music and the album is a huge comeback from the disappointing Astonishing album.

Secondly, the surround mix ain't bad at. Sure it could be better, but it's not terrible either.

I bumped up the SR, SL, Center and SW levels by 2db. I'm also using the Dolby Surround upmixer to utilize the heights and rear surrounds. Seems to add a bit more space to the music and further accentuates the surround effect.

Finally, there was some comment on the bonus track, Viper King. I'm really digging that track, has a lot of Deep Purple vibe in the music, and that is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
There are a handful of instantaneous moments of light clipping in my tweak, but to me they were inaudible, and from what I've read, Audacity considers 0.0dB to be clipping, whereas I always thought that technically it was anything above that level. Nevertheless, you got me thinking that after all of the work I put into trying to fix this, then why leave in the light clipping? Plus I probably did go a bit overboard with the LFE too. So I'm in the process of trying it again.

I'm really a total noob to this retweaking stuff and just going with what I can figure out as I go, but one thing that I don't quite understand about your version is the adding of the mids/highs from the fronts into the rears, if I'm understanding your post correctly. Is it to add a bit of blend between the two? If anything, to me this recording needs all the discrete help it can get, what with all the splattery reverb all around, especially in the rears.

Edit: Also this surround mix has some of the most track-to-track discrepencies that I've ever heard. Some songs seem similarly mixed, but others seem vastly different.
I was going for Haas effect to spread the guitars out to the sides a bit to get the level and "weight" of where the keys came up to when I had the rear channels up where I wanted them.
Our versions were very close. That's the additional bit I did. And some focusing on the high mids and high end a little more in the guitar/drums up front.
The part with a parallel track with a high pass is my way of making a mid/high boost without boosting with an EQ (a big nono!). Use linear phase eq if you do this technique.
You peaked by about 3.5db in a few spots. I decided it was loud enough leaving those peaks as is so I left it 3.5db lower than where yours was.

Apparently a CD/Blu-Ray version of this is being released this week. At around $16 it would seem like a no-brainer, but reading the all-over-the-place reviews in this thread has me exhausted. It seems many here like to adjust levels to get a better sounding mix, and that’s fine, but I don’t have the patience for that. If it doesn’t sound good out of the box, I probably won’t listen to it more than once.

That all being said, many here seem to think the music is good, and the sound quality too. So my question is, without tweaking the surround mix, is this worth it? Does it sound better than the straight-up stereo version?

Amazon US link:

Distance Over Time https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQYRTGD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PEQGDbRW5VPX3

Apparently a CD/Blu-Ray version of this is being released this week. At around $16 it would seem like a no-brainer, but reading the all-over-the-place reviews in this thread has me exhausted. It seems many here like to adjust levels to get a better sounding mix, and that’s fine, but I don’t have the patience for that. If it doesn’t sound good out of the box, I probably won’t listen to it more than once.

That all being said, many here seem to think the music is good, and the sound quality too. So my question is, without tweaking the surround mix, is this worth it? Does it sound better than the straight-up stereo version?

Amazon US link:

Distance Over Time https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQYRTGD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PEQGDbRW5VPX3
It’s better than the stereo version and the music is fantastic. I would get it for that price.

ugh..! :cautious:
(not shooting the messenger at all! 😀 )
it is a bit shit though! i could've done with knowing a cheaper slimmed down version of this was coming down the line, all i wanted was the 5.1, the original set's just costly clutter to me! ah well.. 😊

That'll teach ya NOT to be "Trigger Happy,' young one!

See the source image

:eek:I'm SO weary of outtakes, B sides and Vinyl I could CRY!:cry:😩

Last edited:
Back