DTS to Disc from FLAC? Grateful Dead Content

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

I am trying to burn some fan made dts live recordings to a disc to play.

They download as flac. But my player does not play .flac. But it does play .dts.

Does that mean I have to convert the flacs to . dts? Does that software exist for MAC.

any one have any experience?

Here is a link to one of the shows DEAD

I am surprised there is no quadraphonic dead concerts. they performed with quad sound systems, and everyone in the audience had a microphone, strange that 5.1 would be all that is available.

Love the Tobin Matrix shows. He's released a bunch of those just recently and I have the Iowa wall-of-sound show loaded on my hard drive now. I play the FLAC files through my Oppo BDP-102 via USB port and let the Oppo do the DTS decoding. Gotta love that Oppo.

As far as converting the FLAC files to make a DTS CD, on a PC it would be as easy as converting the FLAC files to .WAV files using Foobar and then combining the .WAV files with CD Architect to make the DTS CD. Sorry I can't help you with any information about MAC, but I'm sure someone with that expertise can chime in with the MAC equivalent software to do the same process.

I am trying to burn some fan made dts live recordings to a disc to play.

They download as flac. But my player does not play .flac. But it does play .dts.

Does that mean I have to convert the flacs to . dts? Does that software exist for MAC.

any one have any experience?

Here is a link to one of the shows DEAD

I am surprised there is no quadraphonic dead concerts. they performed with quad sound systems, and everyone in the audience had a microphone, strange that 5.1 would be all that is available.

As far as converting the FLAC files to make a DTS CD, on a PC it would be as easy as converting the FLAC files to .WAV files using Foobar and then combining the .WAV files with CD Architect to make the DTS CD. Sorry I can't help you with any information about MAC, but I'm sure someone with that expertise can chime in with the MAC equivalent software to do the same process.

ImgBurn will create playable DTS CDs from FLAC files without the need for a manual decompression step, though that doesn't help the OP on a Mac.

well, at least i know they are worth listening too.

wall of surround?!?

i have got to figure this out.

no luck with quad?

Wall of sound.

wall-of-sound-drawing.jpg
wall_of_sound 7-21-74.jpg

The Dead had two copies of this sound system. They would leapfrog them across the country while on tour. They played through system A while system B was truckin to the next venue. Then they would play through system B while system A was truckin to the next venue, and so on. Between the shipping costs and the equipment crews required, they went broke and had to stop touring in October 1974. They only played four shows in San Francisco during 1975. But they came back. With a vengeance. 1977 was their greatest year.

I'm not familiar with any commercially released quad dead. Most surround material is 5.1 like you say. I thought the Grateful Dead Movie was originally quad when shown in theaters, but the original sound was remixed to 5.1 when released on DVD (highly recommended). I've asked some friends to upmix some Dead studio albums, but there again, they are 5.1.

well, at least i know they are worth listening too.

wall of surround?!?

i have got to figure this out.

no luck with quad?

I'm not familiar with any commercially released quad dead. Most surround material is 5.1 like you say. I thought the Grateful Dead Movie was originally quad when shown in theaters, but the original sound was remixed to 5.1 when released on DVD (highly recommended).

There were two official quad Dead releases:

The live album Steal Your Face, released only in QS, with no known stereo only versions released.
The Grateful Dead Movie - the quad mix was overseen by Jerry Garcia personally and the quad is included in the official DVD & Blu-ray releases as an audio option.
Another quad mixed Dead show is the KBFH show recorded at the San Francisco 7/18/76 concert. Broadcast 11/28/76. I have yet to hear a decoded version, although one kind member has given me a copy that should be decode-able. Anyone good at decoding quad encoded KBFH shows?

Dead 76-11-28 KBFH BBD-QQ.jpg

Through a totally random roommate situation, I met Ron Wickersham, who built the Wall of Sound concept (and incidentally founded Alembic).

One of the more amusing stories was that, during their bankrupt days, he would have to gather all the Dead's microphones and ransom them back to the band :D

Unfortunately we weren't in tune with the band enough to catch up with them until 10-7-1977 right here in Albuquerque. Would have loved to see the wall of sound. It was powered by McIntosh amplifiers. Must have sounded like a huge home stereo. The Grateful Dead Movie shows the crew assembling and dis-assembling it in stop motion video. What a feat.

Holy shit george that is what I would most definitely call a WALL of sound, were you lucky enough to see one of these shows??

Back