Dutton Epoch Announces 6 Surround Sound SACD Classical Music Releases (October 19, 2019)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

k3vjzkN24Huv_BjXd8pfemyDEgGApomlt6oFkebAC35haoWVpVn5bAriNuzo4o5-iu87fvZcQh23ihTnyIjoEKGO6kRuC4SIB2q_ITP9z7WKK7Oo_bbixJi66BvQApeT-SwaSkPqTW5RusCZDerPvljoM501Y7wx-cE=s0-d-e1-ft
A new Epoch Historic release
A trawl of the Columbia and RCA archives has yielded a further six titles in our series devoted to landmark classical recordings of the 1970s, all of which are presented in both their original stereo and quadraphonic mixes. Among them are Georg Solti’s recording of Puccini’s “La Bohème,” Pierre Boulez’s recording of Schoenberg’s epic cantata “Gurre-Lieder,” and Aaron Copland’s recording of the original version of “Appalachian Spring.”
Epoch10_19_2019_1013.jpg

Last edited:
For those unfamiliar, the Gershwin piano roll is played accompanied live by a small jazz band. I think I have the original lp somewhere. Was it a "hidden" quad?

From the Quadraphonic Discography [Classical]

25AC 60 (SQ) GEORGE GERSHWIN: Rhapsody in Blue (with the George
Gershwin 1925 Piano Roll); An American in Paris (Thomas/Columbia
Jazz Band) [Japan]
{Same as Columbia M-34205}

For those unfamiliar, the Gershwin piano roll is played accompanied live by a small jazz band. I think I have the original lp somewhere. Was it a "hidden" quad?
From the Quadraphonic Discography [Classical]

25AC 60 (SQ) GEORGE GERSHWIN: Rhapsody in Blue (with the George
Gershwin 1925 Piano Roll); An American in Paris (Thomas/Columbia
Jazz Band) [Japan]
{Same as Columbia M-34205}

What Ralph said --er, quoted. I've heard a decode, and it's very discrete (not surprisingly, it's a Ray Moore mix). Delighted that Michael Dutton got hold of this one.

Really, I see no reason--apart from budgetary ones--not to get all six of these. An embarrassment of riches!

The Gershwin Piano Roll was a SQ only release. As I recall, it had a tiny SQ on the back. No big banner or anything. I ran my LP through the SM2 and it sounded really nice, but I would expect the DVSACD will sound amazing. A sure buy for me, as I really like Rhapsody in Blue. At one point in time, I could play some of it on the piano. Some of it. :)

There was never a Q8 of this one, so I wonder how discrete the master tape is. Since it was only SQ, maybe it had to be compromised for matrix encoding. I guess we'll find out,, won't we!

The Gershwin Piano Roll was a SQ only release. As I recall, it had a tiny SQ on the back. No big banner or anything. I ran my LP through the SM2 and it sounded really nice, but I would expect the DVSACD will sound amazing. A sure buy for me, as I really like Rhapsody in Blue. At one point in time, I could play some of it on the piano. Some of it. :)

There was never a Q8 of this one, so I wonder how discrete the master tape is. Since it was only SQ, maybe it had to be compromised for matrix encoding. I guess we'll find out,, won't we!

could be.. though if the Quads by the same fellow who mixed Bitches Brew (an SQ only release in the 70's and mega discrete hoot on SACD now) we may be in for a treat! 🥳

Im definitely getting three of these. I found that Carmina Burana years ago in a thrift store have never seen it elsewhere. Now to find that record... I will have to dig it out for a listen. The E Powers Biggs is a no brainer all of his are good. I have the SQ record with the Roussell symphony. and the Japanese SQ of the Rhapsody in Blue jazz band version.

Mr Dutton all I have to ask you now is....What am I going to do with all my quad records after you replace them with your definitive reissues??? Donate them to Fredblue?

Im definitely getting three of these. I found that Carmina Burana years ago in a thrift store have never seen it elsewhere. Now to find that record... I will have to dig it out for a listen. The E Powers Biggs is a no brainer all of his are good. I have the SQ record with the Roussell symphony. and the Japanese SQ of the Rhapsody in Blue jazz band version.

Mr Dutton all I have to ask you now is....What am I going to do with all my quad records after you replace them with your definitive reissues??? Donate them to Fredblue?

I wanna know- does the man ever sleep? 🤠

Back