DVD Players That Ignore Watermark

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regard to post #29 here or thread Pioneer DV-578 Firmware upgrade:

Just one word of caution and reminder. This was done with a 578A that originally came with factory presets of 1.x.x. DO NOT try this on any other unit than the U.S. 578A. DO NOT try this on the Pioneer 575A as that unit although similar, is a different type of player. Also, use any flash with much caution and at your own risk! Thanks.

Installed and it works good. Plays burned SACDs now. Thanks again!

I can say that I am very happy to have found this forum. There are so many knowledgeable folks on this site-thanks for all the good info!
I just upgraded the Yamaha DVD-S1800 with the custom firmware and it works! I can now play SACD-R!!

Hi, I am a new member. I just rebuilt and reflowed the motherboard on my original PS3 which plays SACDs. This got me back playing my SACDs and looking around for more info on the multi-channel scene which is how I bumped into this site. I have a Samsung HD841 and I saw your post about your firmware installation and I am very interested. I have a small collection of SACD and DVD Audio which I love. I would very much appreciate your help with my HD841. I am just getting around the site and hope I am not stepping outside the protocols. I will look for you here and if you wish please contact me at [email protected]. (Apple iCloud Mail) Thanks John

The Samsung HD841 will ignore the watermark if you install the firmware with the one I just had made.
It does:

Ignore watermark on DVD-A copies
Is region free
Has no HDCP
Plays SACD-R

If interested, let me know.
It does work.
Proven.

Thanks for the firmware, Bob.

Last edited:
The Samsung HD841 will ignore the watermark if you install the firmware with the one I just had made.
It does:

Is region free
Has no HDCP
Plays SACD-R

It does work.
Proven.
Kudos Bob for the quick reply. My ancient Samsung HD841 just played its first SACD-R (and first SACDs in a long, long time.) Now if you can just get the two channel analog outs upgraded for me it'll be perfect.
highfive.jpg
Imagine the animated gif working with a leaping high five!

My DVD player ignores the entire DVD, not just the watermark. I think it still plays CDs though.

It does:

Is region free
Has no HDCP
Plays SACD-R

It does work.
Proven.

I do realize how old this thread is but if you still have that firmware, could you (or someone else) send it to [email protected] . Appreciate it.

Kudos Bob for the quick reply. My ancient Samsung HD841 just played its first SACD-R (and first SACDs in a long, long time.) Now if you can just get the two channel analog outs upgraded for me it'll be perfect.
View attachment 23481
Imagine the animated gif working with a leaping high five!
My HD841 is now in friend's system with Cambridge upconverter (doesn't handle SACD). The HD841 is gone from my system because the 96/24 versions cut to dvd sounded better on the Samsung than the actual SACD or SACD-R. Foobar will convert SACD isos to 96/24 or other formats apparently with better fidelity than the old Samsung's own conversion from DSD on the disk. My hotrodded Pioneer BDP-51FD runs rings around the Samsung (and itself not hotrodded) so the Samsung has been happily sent to save the day as friend's SACD player died. The Samsung HD841 sounded better than I remembered, so it is fine sounding, but not high end by any means. The Pioneer's strengths are bass and control with incredible dynamics and will excel in systems that permit these strengths to come through.

In the interest of being multichannel relevant, the DVD format only supports 48/24 in 7.1 surround. Many digital experts will contend that 48/24 is the best sound as 96, 192, and DSD etc. cause ultrasonic oscillation issues with most electronics. The software lplex lets you make music DVDs in these formats.

Bob,

I saw your post regarding the HD841. I have one that I would like to play SACD-Rs on. Would you please be willing to share your firmware mod with me? Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.
One feature here is the ability to click on a user name and see the last time they visited the forum.
Stick around, do some more reading and searching, plenty of active members here.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 4.02.17 PM.png

Bob,

I saw your post regarding the HD841. I have one that I would like to play SACD-Rs on. Would you please be willing to share your firmware mod with me? Thank you.
I have a Samsung HD841 with modded firmware, it's packed up as I no longer use it, but it played SACD-R just fine. Actually there was a group of various players that modded firmware was made for....been so long now I don't remember who did it. My Oppo DV-970HD has the modded firmware as well for SACD-R disc play, also packed away as my Oppo BDP-80 plays SACD-R just fine with standard firmware, as they never crippled it.
I don't have any problem showing you the firmware, but you are on your own from there, and it assumes you know how to update the firmware on your machine (too many years, I don't remember and I'm not going to dig it out and look.
PM me and we'll discuss it.

I hate all forms of copy protection and other restrictions on recording media. They should be illegal. Instead, the government comes up with sleazy systems like this to help them have monopolies.

Back