Elliot Scheiner Interview (1999 from MIX)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Out of The Cradle", especially! I saw Lindsey play that album when it first came out and I think there were literally 4 guitarists on stage to do all the different parts! What a cool night... it was a small club in Oxnard, California... Mick Fleetwood was across the room watching the show (this was the kind of club where everyone sits at little tables and has dinner before the show... so cool)... but I digress... "Cradle" sounds excellent when upmixed (SpecWeb)

"Out of The Cradle", especially! I saw Lindsey play that album when it first came out and I think there were literally 4 guitarists on stage to do all the different parts! What a cool night... it was a small club in Oxnard, California... Mick Fleetwood was across the room watching the show (this was the kind of club where everyone sits at little tables and has dinner before the show... so cool)... but I digress... "Cradle" sounds excellent when upmixed (SpecWeb)

I saw that tour too! Also in a small club, here in CT. It was amazing. All those guitar players playing those intertwining passages. Can you imagine the sound of all those guitars spread out among all the speakers in a surround setup? We can dream!

Scheiner: Well, I'm doing the whole Steely Dan catalog — that'll be fun - and the Cars' first record…

LS: So basically you can do whatever you want.

Scheiner: No, no, I can't, but I've developed a pretty decent reputation, so guys do call me to do some of their stuff. You know, I don't get all the calls, mainly just from Warner Brothers and Universal. I haven't done any for BMG, and only one or two for Sony, and one piece for EMI. I don't know who's doing it for them. I know that BMG is getting ready to release a lot of stuff, and I'm not doing any of it.

LS: Besides your own recordings, and the Linda Ronstadt album you mentioned, what other surround recordings do you enjoy?

Scheiner: You should check out Insane Clown Posse — ah, it's outstanding! Nathaniel Kunkel did it — it's absolutely amazing.

so these bits are most interesting to me,

1.) so its confirmed! Mr.Scheiner did remix The Cars' 1st album into 5.1., its not just conjecture! as to why its never been released, who knows?..,
2.) What were the 2 x project's Mr.Scheiner mixed into 5.1 for Sony? I'm presuming Foo Fighters' "In Your Honor" was one? What was the other?
3.) What was the EMI title Mr.Scheiner mixed in 5.1?
4.) "BMG was getting ready to release a lot of stuff"..!! not mixed by Mr.Scheiner unfortunately but.. what might any of that have been? ..and what happened..!? did anything in 5.1 make it out from BMG and if so on what format?
5.) Mr.Scheiner rates Nathaniel Kunkel's 5.1 stuff, which makes me think all the more, given his James Taylor mixes are solid, that his Keane "Hopes & Fears" 5.1 did in fact get screwed up, as I suspected all along and needs the 'Fronts and Rears' treatment!

..I hope the mostly positive response to the new GnR 5.1 encourages the maestro back out of retirement, so we can hear some more of his surround music work soon.. when he's on it he is THE MAN (imho).

Scheiner: Well, I'm doing the whole Steely Dan catalog — that'll be fun - and the Cars' first record…

LS: So basically you can do whatever you want.

Scheiner: No, no, I can't, but I've developed a pretty decent reputation, so guys do call me to do some of their stuff. You know, I don't get all the calls, mainly just from Warner Brothers and Universal. I haven't done any for BMG, and only one or two for Sony, and one piece for EMI. I don't know who's doing it for them. I know that BMG is getting ready to release a lot of stuff, and I'm not doing any of it.

LS: Besides your own recordings, and the Linda Ronstadt album you mentioned, what other surround recordings do you enjoy?

Scheiner: You should check out Insane Clown Posse — ah, it's outstanding! Nathaniel Kunkel did it — it's absolutely amazing.

so these bits are most interesting to me,

1.) so its confirmed! Mr.Scheiner did remix The Cars' 1st album into 5.1., its not just conjecture! as to why its never been released, who knows?..,
2.) What were the 2 x project's Mr.Scheiner mixed into 5.1 for Sony? I'm presuming Foo Fighters' "In Your Honor" was one? What was the other?
3.) What was the EMI title Mr.Scheiner mixed in 5.1?
4.) "BMG was getting ready to release a lot of stuff"..!! not mixed by Mr.Scheiner unfortunately but.. what might any of that have been? ..and what happened..!? did anything in 5.1 make it out from BMG and if so on what format?
5.) Mr.Scheiner rates Nathaniel Kunkel's 5.1 stuff, which makes me think all the more, given his James Taylor mixes are solid, that his Keane "Hopes & Fears" 5.1 did in fact get screwed up, as I suspected all along and needs the 'Fronts and Rears' treatment!

..I hope the mostly positive response to the new GnR 5.1 encourages the maestro back out of retirement, so we can hear some more of his surround music work soon.. when he's on it he is THE MAN (imho).

IMO he is THE MAN...I hate to hear about all those surrounds just gathering dust in some storage facility...ugh...as soon as I win the Power Ball(and it's only a matter of time:rolleyes:)...I'm on that jet plane to the nearest record company with my millions to set some of these releases free...

"When I mixed Fleetwood Mac, none of them were around when I was doing the 5.1. Finally, the very last night, I got them to come in, and I crammed them in this little space in the studio in the middle of the speakers, and when I played the 5.1 for them their mouths dropped. Lindsey Buckingham said, "I don't think I can ever listen to stereo again. "

Oh.....what I wouldn't give to hear Elliot mix Lindsey's solo catalog into surround. Go Insane and Out of the Cradle in particular would be amazing candidates. So much stuff going on in those records, they could be amazing.

Since the band already had an association with ES from The Dance, I wonder why he didn't get a shot at doing the studio albums. Ken Caillat probably got the job because he was the original engineer and his work on those is by no means bad, but I think ES might've done a better job IMO.

so its confirmed! Mr.Scheiner did remix The Cars' 1st album into 5.1., its not just conjecture! as to why its never been released, who knows?..,

I hope he actually got around to doing it...it's entirely possible it was canned before he started mixing. One of my all-time faves! I would definitely shell out for a box set of that one (but it would be nice if I didn't have to :)).

Luckily the multis are out there for that album (rockband stems?) and as I've mentioned before there is a rather impressive fan-made mix out there.

I hope he actually got around to doing it...it's entirely possible it was canned before he started mixing. One of my all-time faves! I would definitely shell out for a box set of that one (but it would be nice if I didn't have to :)).

Luckily the multis are out there for that album (rockband stems?) and as I've mentioned before there is a rather impressive fan-made mix out there.

anything's possible.. it'd be funny (to me anyway) if that supposed fan-made mix that's "out there" is his work after all.. :ROFLMAO:

anything's possible.. it'd be funny (to me anyway) if that supposed fan-made mix that's "out there" is his work after all.. :ROFLMAO:

That would be funny! If so I'd have to imagine it's an early or rough version because it doesn't have any characteristics of his mixes...no reflected lead vocal, barely any reverb, lots of silence coming from the rears, etc.

I thought it was incredible when I first heard it, but upon further listens I find it's a bit rough-sounding. Far superior to PLII though and I'm grateful it exists!

Though I imagine ES' take could be truly mind-blowing...all those layers of synth and guitar spread out...

Last edited:
That would be funny! If so I'd have to imagine it's an early or rough version because it doesn't have any characteristics of his mixes...no reflected lead vocal, barely any reverb, lots of silence coming from the rears, etc.

I thought it was incredible when I first heard it, but upon further listens I find it's a bit rough-sounding. Far superior to PLII though and I'm grateful it exists!

Though I imagine ES' take could be truly mind-blowing...all those layers of synth and guitar spread out...

yeah, all that, probably. it feels like it'll never come out officially so its the rough mix or bust (or PLII/upmix etc) at this point. no disrespect to upmixers but i'd rather have the rough mix from stems, warts and all.

So with all this Hornsby talk, I pulled out some old CDs. Looking at the liner notes on The Way It Is, whose name do I see? Lo and behold, Elliot Scheiner! Elliot co-produced (with Bruce), engineered and mixed six of the album's nine tracks, including all of the album's hits. (Huey Lewis produced the other three.)

It would be awesome if Elliot could make a return visit to these multi-tracks.

:51QQ

So with all this Hornsby talk, I pulled out some old CDs. Looking at the liner notes on The Way It Is, whose name do I see? Lo and behold, Elliot Scheiner! Elliot co-produced (with Bruce), engineered and mixed six of the album's nine tracks, including all of the album's hits. (Huey Lewis produced the other three.)

It would be awesome if Elliot could make a return visit to these multi-tracks.

:51QQ
And...since you mention Huey Lewis...how fun would it be if Elliot would release some surround mixes of him? Woo hoo...I'd love that.

Back