ELO - Electric Light Orchestra/First Light [CD+DVD) Quad mix.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i have had a first listen to the DVD and the DTS is excellent, the mix is much more adventurous than i was expecting from oxfordickie.
Even the 96/24 stereo transfer is great. as a long time ELO fan this is great i would love to have a copy of the Quad of teh second album as well. fingers crossed they do that like the gentle giant releases.

I need to seek this out.

Am I the only Yank in this post? It appears Britmark is an expat. It's cool, since I'm an anglophile. Back to my spotted dick.

I hope the Quad mix is worth it. If it's crap, I'll turn to stone.

Don't bring me down.

The Quad mix is very discrete and makes full use of the surrounds. Some of the instrument placings are a bit strange (drums on the first track come out of the right, rear speaker) but it's a fun mix. The album passed me by in the 70s but I've quite enjoyed discovering it now. Great value at £8.99.

Can't even buy it now if you're in the USA. I guess I missed out.

Says We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address.

update: Never mind. Seems to work ok now. An alternative is base.com for the same price if amazon UK doesn't work.

No problem. I was able to buy it for $17.18 shipped and I recommend other U.S. buyers try again. Sign into Amazon U.K. with your usual U.S. E-mail/password or create a new account. For some reason, as I understand it, this Amazon U.K. order is being shipped by a U.S. Amazon approved or connected with Amazon U.S. seller:

In stock.
We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address.
----> Items for dispatch to UK will be sold by Amazon's Preferred Merchant. (Why?)

Seller: Amazon's Jersey Merchant
In stock. Items for dispatch to UK will be sold by Amazon's Jersey Merchant, Indigostarfish.com. Learn more.
Domestic delivery rates and return policy.

Attachments

• ELO--Back.jpg
    ELO--Back.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 794
Got this yesterday and gave it a listen and concur with the above. The mix is very active and very discrete and the audio quality is very good, with some nice bass extension. The dynamics seem to be intact too, I noticed the volume swelling up to great effect toward the end of Mr. Radio. The music itself maybe isn't something I'd listen to every day, but this release should be a blueprint for releasing surround in what seems to be a post-hi rez age. CD+DVD for a very reasonable price, with very clear labelling on the package (both front and back) as to the contents. In an ideal world releases like this would be happening a few times a month.

A note to people from the US: I believe if you order this from Amazon UK they will deduct the 20% tax from the price at checkout as it's being shipped outside the EU, which means the price would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of £7.20 (plus shipping) which is a bargain in my opinion. Don't quote me on this though, check with Amazon's help section before you order.

It's also interesting to note that the DVD in this package was authored by Ray Shulman, who used to be in Gentle Giant and obviously authored their two recent surround discs.

I listened to this on spotify and I didn't like it much, but I'm thinking I ought to buy it anyway since it will sound very different in surround. Also, I want to send a message that the hi res format is not dead so that Out of the Blue be re-issued in MC, I'd buy that!

Didn't expect much with this release, but I'm really enjoying it. Love 1st Movement....

This is a superb release!

I got the LP when it first came out, not to mention the 10538 Overture 45 rpm single.

The quad mix turns out to be brilliant. I love the way the 'cellos come out of the rear speakers.

I hope that this sells well. It really is excellent value for money, and although I bought it solely for the quad, I suspect a lot of people will be delighted with the hi-res pcm stereo.

Let's hope that there will be a lot more like it.

I give it a very solid 10.

I love it. Terrific mix of a truly unique and daring LP.

A 10 for me.

Wow, with this and the 2 recent Gentle Giant DVDs that's 3 vintage quad mixes released in the past month. Huzzah!!

This is a superb release!

I got the LP when it first came out, not to mention the 10538 Overture 45 rpm single.

The quad mix turns out to be brilliant. I love the way the 'cellos come out of the rear speakers.

I hope that this sells well. It really is excellent value for money, and although I bought it solely for the quad, I suspect a lot of people will be delighted with the hi-res pcm stereo.

Let's hope that there will be a lot more like it.

I give it a very solid 10.

I agree with your review. I am really enjoying this release :>)

The CD/DVD combo with LPCM 96/24 stereo & DTS 96/24 quad is great. a DVD-A would be better of course, but at least they issued it!

I'm real happy with this and it's great that they had the foresight to release the Quadraphonic mix.

Because of what we have here, I believe due to keeping production costs down, they put this out in the way they did to put as much on here as what's possible with a CD and a regular single sided DVD and to cover all the different audiences that would want to buy. So DTS 96/24 works for me for now. Now the original Quadraphonic tape has been preserved. In a way this is almost like the 3rd "Quadio" release, except one also has Stereo LPCM 96/24 on the DVD and a CD with extra's.

I'm real happy with this and it's great that they had the foresight to release the Quadraphonic mix.

Because of what we have here, I believe due to keeping production costs down, they put this out in the way they did to put as much on here as what's possible with a CD and a regular single sided DVD and to cover all the different audiences that would want to buy. So DTS 96/24 works for me for now. Now the original Quadraphonic tape has been preserved. In a way this is almost like the 3rd "Quadio" release, except one also has Stereo LPCM 96/24 on the DVD and a CD with extra's.
Yes, it sure beats the Quadio way of doing things, especially considering what they were charging for them.

Well, though I know absolutely nothing about this recording, I decided to go ahead and order it since I want to be as supportive of any surround sound music being put out these days. I look forward to a new and (from the sound of it) unique listening experience :)

Yes, it sure beats the Quadio way of doing things, especially considering what they were charging for them.

That's Not what I was saying. We were lucky we got the Quadio program as that was solely devoted to releasing Quadraphonic only. A real rarity. As the "Quadraphonic only" market is small, at that time and perhaps now, with mastering costs and a top engineer to transfer tapes and with special packaging, ect. made the cost of the Quadio titles what it was. I am more than happily to pay the less than $30 cost (sometimes titles were lower with sale codes) in order to preserve and get vintage Quad from the Master Tapes. A much better deal IMHO than the already released a million times "stereo" put on SACD for more than $50 +, with no surround of any kind at all.

Back