ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you!

Believe me, I'm not a big fan of Sony these days either but I'm a bit loathe to go on the attack, all guns blazing, over these releases right now.

Yes it's disappointing they're in Lossy DTS.. but it is still better than the alternative that just about every other avenue is currently offering us in 5.1.

Effectively, the alternative offering is hardly what you would call a flood of releases, beyond a handful of quad prog rock in lossy DTS from EMI, some sub-par Rush 5.1's from Universal, a few mega expensive box sets full of other crap we don't want, SW's own album on BD, Ian Andersons TAAB2 on dvd.. the upcoming Bowie/Ziggy 40th Anniversary Vinyl & DVD oddity.. and the ongoing KC DVDA series...did I miss any?

also, don't nearly all Sony Blu ray players currently feature SACD playback?[/QUO

I may be wrong about Sony DVD players not supporting SACD, someone else check that. I have no desire to check any Sony web site. I only buy OPPO's. From all the reviews I have read about Sony DVD players, there is NO mention of SACD capability..maybe I can't read.

Good for you!
Believe me, I'm not a big fan of Sony these days either but I'm a bit loathe to go on the attack, all guns blazing, over these releases right now.
Yes it's disappointing they're in Lossy DTS.. but it is still better than the alternative that just about every other avenue is currently offering us in 5.1.

Effectively, the alternative offering is hardly what you would call a flood of releases, beyond a handful of quad prog rock in lossy DTS from EMI, some sub-par Rush 5.1's from Universal, a few mega expensive box sets full of other crap we don't want, SW's own album on BD, Ian Andersons TAAB2 on dvd.. the upcoming Bowie/Ziggy 40th Anniversary Vinyl & DVD oddity.. and the ongoing KC DVDA series...did I miss any?

also, don't nearly all Sony Blu ray players currently feature SACD playback?

music industry, being spoiled in the past by flow of easy money wouldn't understand your philosophy.
they at first will try to sell to us all possible crap, keeping better quality probably with purpose to sell
it as an exclusive boutique goods for top dollar. sadly present corporate world and so call "free market"
are rotten and corrupted to unimaginable level and appeal to their senses, logic and honesty - what
can be even more naive and foolish. sure, you can spend all your funds by collecting all crap they supply
but such approach will do no good. as long as you purchase the crap - they will sell you crap.
such philosophy (we should buy to let them know there are interest and demand), had been used for many
years now. have you seen any positive outcome?
sure, lately, like past 2 years, there seems had begun kind of resurection of surround... but in shitty quality
of the sound. why? but why not, if those peasants will buy so too.

I heard the stereo tracks on the DVD will be PCM. Is PCM a lossless audio format?

I heard the stereo tracks on the DVD will be PCM. Is PCM a lossless audio format?

PCM is the same basic audio encoding method as DVDs, CDs etc and as such could be labelled "lossless" but then we all know CDs aren't "lossless" in that they're not identical to their source because of bit-depth/frequency range limitations. so it depends on how you view a lossless format, I guess!?

my take on these discs having PCM stereo is it can only be a good thing and preferable to the DD-stereo abominations we've had on other surround music DVDV's in the past..!

on the one hand, I get where you're coming from but I think "Lossless" as a bandied-about term has come to imply it's automatically superior to redbook or lossy surround codecs, so on that basis I don't think you can fairly whitewash all PCM as superior.

Case in point; The Beatles' Love DVDA has PCM stereo in its DVD-video stream but only in 44k/16bit so can't be any better than the CD if the mastering is the same and far from being "Lossless", I'd go so far as to say that kind of PCM is rather "Pointless".

on the one hand, I get where you're coming from but I think "Lossless" as a bandied-about term has come to imply it's automatically superior to redbook or lossy surround codecs, so on that basis I don't think you can fairly whitewash all PCM as superior.

Case in point; The Beatles' Love DVDA has PCM stereo in its DVD-video stream but only in 44k/16bit so can't be any better than the CD if the mastering is the same and far from being "Lossless", I'd go so far as to say that kind of PCM is rather "Pointless".

Very true. It is incorrect to think of lossless as superior to redbook CD unless you know the details. But... PCM is lossless. There is no compression with PCM, so it is lossless. A redbook CD is lossless too.

As you pointed out, without knowing the sample size (number of bits in the sample) and the sample frequency, there is no way to know if it is better quality than a CD. Yeah.. putting 44.1k/16bit on a DVD is pointless.

It is safe to assume it is better quality than an mp3 or Dulby as those use compression. That is all we know at this point. Hopefully it is at least 48k/24bit.

Isn't it ironic that CD redbook audio is seen as "lossless" when information from the original source has already been lost in transferring it to CD! It's a mad old world! :yikes

Isn't it ironic that CD redbook audio is seen as "lossless" when information from the original source has already been lost in transferring it to CD! It's a mad old world! :yikes

:D True... assuming the original source wasn't 44.1k/16bit. I always thought that all professional multi-track recordings were done at least at 88.2k/24bit (96k/24bit if the target is bluray or DVD), but recently I read some discussion that indicated that was often not the case.

Nope. The fact that it was labeled Atlantic (not Cotilliion) makes me tend to believe it was a later stereo master for duplication purposes.

These reissues are now available for pre order on US amazon (imports): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...74,k:emerson+lake+palmer&sort=releasedaterank

Also, if they do deluxe reissues of Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery (which I hope they do), wonder if a song like "Benny the Bouncer" will be replaced by "Brain Salad Surgery" (the song) or another of the three outtakes?
And any additional songs from the Trilogy sessions?

These reissues are now available for pre order on US amazon (imports): http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...74,k:emerson+lake+palmer&sort=releasedaterank

Also, if they do deluxe reissues of Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery (which I hope they do), wonder if a song like "Benny the Bouncer" will be replaced by "Brain Salad Surgery" (the song) or another of the three outtakes?
And any additional songs from the Trilogy sessions?

I think it is still cheaper to pre-order them via Amazon.UK, right??

Back