ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Voted. That makes 169.

Nice one! Thank you for taking the time to vote. Hopefully our efforts will not be in vain and Sony Legacy will respond.

(I seem to spend a lot of my time living in hope with every new quad or 5.1 announced project that comes along!)

And may I be so bold as to extend a warm Welcome to you, delarog, from one QuadraphonicQuad member to another :)

I hope you will come to frequent and enjoy discussing all aspects of quad and surround on this forum as much as I do.

Hi all,

We're having great difficulty getting firm information from Sony about the content and are obviously wary of putting anything up that we're not 100% sure about. The latest addition to the description was after speaking to SW but even he would only go with "We believe the mixes to be LPCM Stereo and DTS 5.1" for the moment.

Regarding shipping prices - they're high because it's on pre-order. Pre-orders are always shipped individually. If you wait until it goes on general sale both titles can be shipped together and the cost goes down a little.

Unfortunately (fortunately!) we don't squeeze every penny out of suppliers/bands/labels we deal with so we can't cut it to the bone and offer free p&p. We charge RM prices and when possible pass on any savings made by using a courier for heavy orders back to the customer.

We'll be continually updating the description on the site with information as and when we are fed it. Maybe other online retailers will work hard to do the same...

Thanks for reading,

Lisa

Hi all,

We're having great difficulty getting firm information from Sony about the content and are obviously wary of putting anything up that we're not 100% sure about. The latest addition to the description was after speaking to SW but even he would only go with "We believe the mixes to be LPCM Stereo and DTS 5.1" for the moment.

Regarding shipping prices - they're high because it's on pre-order. Pre-orders are always shipped individually. If you wait until it goes on general sale both titles can be shipped together and the cost goes down a little.

Unfortunately (fortunately!) we don't squeeze every penny out of suppliers/bands/labels we deal with so we can't cut it to the bone and offer free p&p. We charge RM prices and when possible pass on any savings made by using a courier for heavy orders back to the customer.

We'll be continually updating the description on the site with information as and when we are fed it. Maybe other online retailers will work hard to do the same...

Thanks for reading,

Lisa

http://feedback.legacyrecordings.co...229-release-elp-5-1-mixes-in-high-resolution-

Then keep voting people! It might be possible we're swaying the powers that be at Sony for DVD-Audio!

Check out Steven's Q&A concerning ELP:
12) Since Fripp seems to have let the proverbial cat out of the bag, I wonder if Steven can comment on the ELP stuff? Can you tell us which albums you have done, or will be doing? In the past you've said that ELP were not one of your favorites (or words to that effect) - does that change how you approach doing the mixes, and did working on them change your opinion at all? Any other general comments about this project would be welcome too.
SW: While I don't think ELP have stood the test of time in the way that some other bands of that era have, I really enjoyed doing the albums - I find that there are astounding moments in their music, but in my opinion (and no doubt many will disagree!) some tracks on each album are what you might call "filler". One of the interesting things we've been able to do with the reissues it to make CD1 the original album, and CD2 an alternate version of the album using new mixes. For example on Tarkus this enabled me to replace what I saw as "novelty" tracks like Are You Ready Eddy and Jeremy Bender and replace them with what I felt were better songs. On the first album this was done by necessity since the multi-tracks of Tank and 2 parts of the Three Fates were missing - luckily there were interesting out-takes that could take their place in the album sequence. There is an element of trying to re-write history in this of course, which some may consider sacrilegious, but the original mix is also part of the package, so it's simply an alternate perspective.

Thanks for sharing this, rtbluray!

So ELP have not stood the test of time as other bands from the era ??? I couldn't disagree with such comment more, but anyway that's not a reason to "re-conceive" Tarkus. I will not try to make a competition between ELP vs King Crimson vs Genesis vs Yes to make a point, as I love them all, but any of those can be beaten to death by whoever is not willing to understand prog aesthetics and label it "dated" (and I'm not implying that did happen in the interview). Anyway, I really find this comment very awkward. ELP has indeed passed the test of time, and by that I mean it has never been nor will be ever under dispute that ELP is one of the best prog bands ever (in terms of ambition, influence, music levels, performance levels, technology, historical importance). If nowadays music has nothing to do with ELP, well that's another discussion, but then maybe it's a good sign that ELP has nothing to do with nowadays music.

And Jeremy Bender/Are you ready Eddy are "fillers"?? I'm sorry, but I just can't accept this. So why ELP played so much Jeremy Bender in public during the '70s? And why "Are you ready Eddy" have such incredible piano lines?
What comes next? Will "Benny The Bouncer" be considered a "filler"? Maybe the Second Movement of Emerson's Concerto is also a "filler". "Tank" from Works 1 is most probably a "filler". So what? Fillers should be treated with respect, as someone who counts once decided they'd be in.
I personally don't like "C'est la vie": what if someone who shares this opinion with me, and is given power, decides it's a "filler"??
Isn't the "Works 2" an album made of fillers?

Is it difficult to understand the concept of respecting a band's decision 40 years ago?

I just think things are being mixed-up here: there are musical/aesthetic decisions, and there are technical/audiophile decisions. Both are very important. But IMMO, there's an inner part of the former activity which the latter should not step into.

"Anyway, I really find this comment very awkward. ELP has indeed passed Is it difficult to understand the concept of respecting a band's decision 40 years ago?....
I just think things are being mixed-up here: there are musical/aesthetic decisions, and there are technical/audiophile decisions. Both are very important. "

Welcome to QQ, I wouldn't take things too hard with Mr. Wilson's words, I'm sure he respects the ELP body of work. It is the "original playlist" and then the "optional playlist", so we are getting both views really, a treat....plus the 5.1 the main reason we are on this forum. Also, I think ELP had a hand in approving the additional performances which he is including, so it doesn't sound like they have a problem, I think most band memebers would admit that at some point they created a little filler, all was not genius. :cool: John

Hi John! Thanks! I see your point!

It seems there are "New 2012 Stereo Mixes" on disc 2 and also on the second half of disc 3. Can we infer that they're just the same? In that case, excluding "Jeremy Bender" and "Are You Ready Eddy?" from disc 2 kind of disguise/avoid the fact that half disc 3 would be completely redundant, in which case the real "filler" in question is the second half of disc 3 (which will be lossy, I suppose).

I don't know, maybe I'm kind of overreacting to this, I grew up hearing this album. It's just I see no point in not to have, on disc 2, track 9 "Jeremy Bender" and track 10 "Are you ready Eddy?" What harm would be getting lossless new mixes of them as well?

Other than the definitive word on 5.1 format from the label, I believe we're in good hands here. Given the factors of which masters are available to make new mixes from and how much disc space is available, the final result will be created from the best decisions at the time.

A true DVD-A, SACD or most especially Blu Ray would provide more storage and options. I've been at this long enough to know these won't be the last editions. :)

I was just about to pull the trigger on these also from Burning Shed when i saw the $15.25 ea price....then i saw it would cost $9.75ea for shipping to the USA..ouch!
Holding off for now but will most likely end up paying the $50 somewhere...Looking fwd to these awesome releases and hope eventually they do the same with Trilogy...

Tim

Pre-ordered mine this morning and I got a great deal $49.71 (Delivered!)

Very excited about these releases. :smokin

Re. Steven Wilson's point of view...

Hey, that is coming from someone who has ABBA's "Arrival" in his "to-do in 5.1" list...(don't get me wrong , I love ABBA too, but just to put it into perspective!)

Hi John! Thanks! I see your point!

It seems there are "New 2012 Stereo Mixes" on disc 2 and also on the second half of disc 3. Can we infer that they're just the same? In that case, excluding "Jeremy Bender" and "Are You Ready Eddy?" from disc 2 kind of disguise/avoid the fact that half disc 3 would be completely redundant, in which case the real "filler" in question is the second half of disc 3 (which will be lossy, I suppose).

I don't know, maybe I'm kind of overreacting to this, I grew up hearing this album. It's just I see no point in not to have, on disc 2, track 9 "Jeremy Bender" and track 10 "Are you ready Eddy?" What harm would be getting lossless new mixes of them as well?

I've a sneaking suspicion some of the omissions and substitutions here are as a result of missing multi track masters as much as anything..

Pre-ordered mine this morning and I got a great deal $49.71 (Delivered!)

Very excited about these releases. :smokin

My 2 are ordered through Amazon UK... £22.88..... £5.07 shipping... $35.99 USD!!

So have I missed US order links somehow? I think of Razor & Tie as being in the states or has this changed too? For such name releases it sure is taking a long time.

As someone posted a month ago these 2 titles come out to 8.33 pounds from amazon uk once you take the VAT price off for those ordering from outside of Europe.
The price has been bouncing around but this is best preorder price I have seen so far.
This becomes even a better deal if you combine with some other titles and combine shipping, for me that included getting Squakett,King Crimson live,Rush Classic Rock fanpack, and some Bluray movies Rango,Jurassic Park Trilogy.

peter

Hi all,

Very strange... "We believe the mixes to be LPCM Stereo and DTS 5.1" for the moment." Like, huh?
I probably have said it before but I will say it again..SONY has their heads up their asses. They won't make SACD's anymore and they certainly will NEVER touch the DVD-A format. SONY=ASSHOLES
nuff said

I can't figure why SONY doesn't go big with Blu-ray? They have abandoned SACD, so why not go with their latest format? After all, it is their baby!

Back