HiRez Poll Emerson Lake & Palmer - TARKUS [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Emerson Lake and Palmer - TARKUS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
No? How come? OK, I haven't played it in a while....but I recall enjoying it a bit.

I know the original mix of the title track very well and this one doesn't at all evoke its vibe.

Btw, do you actually listen to/enjoy the music of Ted Nugent? If so, how come?

I know the original mix of the title track very well and this one doesn't at all evoke its vibe.

I'd agree that SW didn't hit the target on this one. Or Trilogy. But it gets better after 4 or 5 drinks. :rolleyes:

changed from 10 to a 9.
Years ago, when the DVDA came out I was sooo excited.
Playing it again now I can see the imperfect bass some have mentioned and some lack of visceral bite the original LP had.
Nit-picking perhaps, but in hindsight simply not a 10. Maybe the standards have been raised with bitchez brew and such.

still very happy we got it in surround though!

Btw tarkusnj's complaint on this thread wasn't 'lack of bass' per se -- it's was lack of *punch* in the low bass and bass. That's a different thing. You can a have plenty of bass in a mix, with it sounding loud but indistinct, or you can have a lot of bass, but also have upper bass/treble bite to give it 'punch' (definition).

Greg Lake's bass had lots of punch,, he loved him some treble in his Fender Jazz Bass sound. That should come through in a mix of this album.
(His treble love got crazy over the years; he experimented with Rickenbackers circa Trilogy, went back to J bass for BSS, tried a Zemeckis bass on tour...by the end of the 70s he was playing Alembics with the treble turned to 11, and sounded more like baritone guitar rather than a bass guitar)

Keith's Hammond sound has also been de-punched on SW's mix, but that seems to be from loss of that hard overdriven sound more than anything else. Maybe that was part of Eddy Offord's touch as much as Keith's here (he liked to print things 'hot'). Why SW chose not to emulate it, only he can say....

Can't blame SW for Trilogy. That was JJ's work.

I am probably in the minority here, but, having listened to TRILOGY 5.1 last night -- I really like the mix! There's a clarity in Greg Lake's vocals that really bring out what a great singer he was. . . .

YMMV, of course. Btw, is there a HI REZ poll on TRILOGY? A quick search didn't reveal it, but it probably hasn't been posted on in a while. . . .

edit: found it!

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...er-trilogy-dvd-a-bda.20552/page-5#post-275949

No. Only on a DVD-Audio with a different mix. Many prefer the DVDA mix.

For completeness's sake:

The BSS 2001 surround mix was rereleased on SACD in 2008. (The mix is the same, the mastering is a little different.)

Jakko's mess remix was released in 2014 on DVDA as part of the giant 6-disc box in the West, in a 3-disc set in Japan, and also included on the 2017 Fanfare box (unchanged, afaik)

Last edited:
Back