ESP Disk Recordings with a Quad Notation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
In the mid 70's I had heard the CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND-Smoke Dreams and saw the mention of quad. It was suggested by some that it was Dynaquad encoded meaning they used a four channel encoder with the intention of using a decoder for quad playback. It was also listed in the QUAD Incorporated supplement in 1981. The back cover of the US ESP issue album mentions quad-super-stereo and the record labels state "to play this STEREO record in quad, connect a 3rd speaker to the + terminals of your amplifier.
The original Image Label release in Australia makes no mention of quad.
Well I gave that a try (also known as a hafler circuit) and wow, stereo recordings had a whole new dimension added to them! but that is not quad.

Currently the Popular Discography list the following and I am thinking it is time to move it to the NOT QUAD Discography

THE CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND - Smoke Dreams. ESP Disk ESP-3009 (DY)
{The title above has been reported to be released only in quad with no stereo
version known, The original Australian release (Image ILP 724) was stereo
only}

CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND -Smoke Dreams. ESP Disk ESP-3009 (DY)c.jpg

My Canary Has Circles Under His Eyes B/W Nagasaki. ESP Disk ESP 3010
(DY45)

CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND-My Canary Has Circles Under His Eyes BW Nagasaki. ESP Disk ESP 3...jpg

Below is a list of other ESP disk recordings that mention quad that are being considered for the NOT QUAD Discography

ESP-1004 New York Art Quartet ‎–New York Art Quartet
New York Art Quartet ‎–New York Art Quartet. ESP Disk 1004 (DY)b.jpg
New York Art Quartet ‎–New York Art Quartet. ESP Disk 1004 (DY)c.jpg

ESP‎–1020 Albert Ayler ‎– Spirits Rejoice [Originally issued in 1965]
{to play your ESP album in quad, Convert your existing stereo system to QUAD
by connecting a third speaker to the + terminals to your amplifier}

ESP-1022 Marion Brown Quartet ‎– Marion Brown Quartet [Originally issued in 1966]
{Stereo compatible quad on inside cover, quad-super-stereo on record label}

ESP-2017 The Godz ‎– Godzundheit [Originally issued in 1973]
{This record is recorded in stereo-compatible QUAD. Convert your existing stereo system to QUAD

ESP 3007 The Revolutionary Ensemble ‎– Vietnam 1 & 2 [Originally issued in 1972]
{Stereo Compatible Quad listed on back cover}

ESP-3008 Jim McCarthy ‎– Alien [Originally issued in 1973]
{This record is recorded in stereo-compatible QUAD. Convert your existing stereo system to QUAD

ESP-3009 CAPTAIN MATCHBOX WHOOPEE BAND -Smoke Dreams [Originally issued in 1973]
{original Australian release makes no mention of quad, US ESP Disc version has the note
"attach a third speaker to the + terminals of your stereo amplifier to hear this record in
authentic quad"}

ESP 3013 Frank Lowe ‎– Black Beings. [Originally issued in 1973]
{Stereo compatible quad on back cover, quad-super-stereo on record label}

Your comments and suggestions are welcome

Last edited:
It’s insulting - and was damaging to the marketing of the real quad discs and tapes.

There should have been a law against it. Standards are there for a reason. But here it looks like they are calling an additional ambient speaker (3 speakers total) quad!

I do wish that high-res surround was within spect on DVD-V, because often the content data fits, but it’s not considered a part of the DVD-V spec, so we get a bit of lossy when lossless would have fit.

FWIW my copy of Capt Matchbox did not sound all that great even via Sansui QSD 2.

Likely these are really just "recommended" via DY 4D setup , much the same as Brian Eno - Ambient 4 and other Eno discs , however much more happens in the rears on the Eno discs.

That being said I'm curious to hear the Burroughs disc , mostly talking I presume.

Back