• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Favorite speaker setup for Atmos music (i.e. Abbey Road)

ted_b

Reaction score
So are you saying there is no real way to channel balance the Atmos channels?

Hamilton59

Reaction score
So are you saying there is no real way to channel balance the Atmos channels?
No, I’m not saying that. The AVR does this for you during the speaker setup configuration. It configures the volume balance, time delay, and room EQ which you can choose to use or not. You can go into the speaker settings on the AVR and modify the configuration and now even the Audyssey frequency curves. I’m saying we don’t have an a good technical source to evaluate our speaker layouts and frequency capabilities...

Dolby Support states ( from https://www.dolby.com/us/en/support/dolby-demo-content.html )
”If you’re calibrating a new Dolby Atmos setup, you do not need a Dolby Atmos demo disc. Instead, we recommend using the calibration tools built into the AVR.”

I want to be able to run an external test that will let me easily evaluate my speaker installation as described in my previous post.

Hamilton59

Reaction score
I think a test disk with those capabilities would also help answer your initial question about the type of speakers to use for the height channels, full range, timbre matched, etc.

Hamilton59

Reaction score
Somewhat OT: So I have some BluRay rips I was given (MakeMKV) and rather than burning them to Bluray discs and playing them on a 4k/Atmos-capable bluray player, I could play the files and have Atmos capability if I used what? Nvidia Shield TV (or Pro) and Kodi?
I believe that you could play the files on a device like my OPPO 205. I have an external hard drive plugged into my Oppo that I use to play back audio files. I have a couple of .m2ts files of Pink Floyd’s Meddle and quad vs of Echos that I ripped off of my Early Years box set blu-ray. I would think that Atmos tracks could be played back as well. Also my Marantz SR8012 displays USB Music and Music Servers as sources to play back music using its HEOS source. HEOS appears to be Marantz’s gatekeeper for all Internet streaming, and local file source playback.

Hamilton59

Reaction score
I believe that you could play the files on a device like my OPPO 205. I have an external hard drive plugged into my Oppo that I use to play back audio files. I have a couple of .m2ts files of Pink Floyd’s Meddle and quad vs of Echos that I ripped off of my Early Years box set blu-ray. I would think that Atmos tracks could be played back as well. Also my Marantz SR8012 displays USB Music and Music Servers as sources to play back music using its HEOS source. HEOS appears to be Marantz’s gatekeeper for all Internet streaming, and local file source playback.
I just tested playing the VIDEO files that I have of Pink Floyd Meddle/Echos on my Marantz and was unsuccessful. The amp is looking for “audio” files and will not display the ”video” files I ripped from the blu-ray. It would play the audio files I tested from the hard drive.
This is the same way my Oppo player works too... It will not display the files when I browse for Music but it will if I browse for Movies.

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
I fully agree there should be a professional disc or collection of files to calibrate/demo Dolby Atmos available. Considering the cost to buy in to the format plus Dolby's development costs it is a must.

ted_b

Reaction score
Has anyone heard the XTZ S2 Atmosphere speakers? As I am finalizing my audio room build, my acoustic engineer friend/consultant Jeff Hedback said I should look into them for Atmos, but explains he hasn't heard them, just knows of the pedigree of the company. So I have 3 to consider: SVS Prime Elevation, Elac Debuts and the XTZ S2 Atmospheres.

Last edited: