Film & Television score music...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
I'm a huge fan of film scores. Over the last 30 years, I have collected a good number of film (and some television) score releases on CD, plus three Lord of the Rings soundtracks on DVD-Audio. I'm a die-hard John Williams fanatic for sure. I also love the music of Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino, James Newton Howard and many others. I would love a place to discuss film and TV scores with all you wonderful QQ regulars.

I'm a pretty big fan of film music as well. I listen to the SACD of John Williams's score for ET pretty regularly, and there are some other good ones as well. I only have Two Towers from LOTR because I'm cheap - I got it for $7 on DVD-A but haven't paid $60 each for the other films. And I have both the Classic Records and Audio Fidelity 2-channel versions of Close Encounters, and the HDTracks download of the Star Wars Sexology.

For Star Wars, the original trilogy just doesn't have good enough sound quality for me to buy something high-res. Also, they would probably release the original soundtracks, which are all chopped up and edited out of sequence. I hate when they do that. Williams is the maestro, but I hate that he does that.

For Star Wars, the original trilogy just doesn't have good enough sound quality for me to buy something high-res. Also, they would probably release the original soundtracks, which are all chopped up and edited out of sequence. I hate when they do that. Williams is the maestro, but I hate that he does that.
Williams (like many composers) doesn't like his music being presented in the "every note in sequence" format, he'd rather you hear the suite he put together out of the elements (which has been the trend since at least Prokofiev). They both have their merits, but there's definitely some note-spinning in soundtracks that doesn't do well without visuals.

And you know about this, right?

51OJukHxOHL.jpg

Yes but Williams is also fine with these newer expanded "archival" releases of scores. Some of these releases give us both. A new film order complete score on one disc and the original soundtrack remastered on another disc. I have a bunch of them from La-La-Land Records, some of Williams' biggest scores have been released this way.

Am really enjoying this discussion. Have always been a lover of film music.

BTW, strilo, do you have this one? An awesome Bernard Hermann Score in stunning multichannel BD~A: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=10733

10733.jpg

logo_bd.png

Tadlow Music TADLOW 019 (2 discs)
Stereo/Multichannel

edit: you may have difficulty finding the BD~A/RBCD set as all the links @ HRAudio.net seem to only include the RBCD edition.

Just found an ordering link: http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2015/04/obsession-bernard-herrmann/

Check out their catalogue as it includes a lot of film scores, as well. http://www.tadlowmusic.com/category/catalogue/

Last edited:
You know, I don't really know much Hermann. I also tend to not listen to scores until I see a film, so there's that factor as well.

Back