First Reviled, Now Revered: The Historic Albums of 1969

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
I'm usually not all that impressed by Tom Moon's writing--or his critical opinions. But I really like the piece he posted at NPR Music today. He talks about albums that the bigwigs panned when they debuted in 1969: self-titled releases by Santana, Led Zep, Grand Funk, and the Stooges; ITCOTCK, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Electric Moo, MC5's Kick Out the Jams. (Sheesh: Michigan bands owned 1969!) And he has some pithy things to say about them, himself.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/25/773104499/first-reviled-now-revered-the-historic-albums-of-1969

Last edited:
My childhood friend went to the Grande Ballroom on Devil's Night at age 13, his older brother was awesome and took him to quite a few shows. He got to see the MC5 and we still went trick or treating the next night. Michigan represent 🤟 Great Bands, Great Music.

Was it this show?

Attachments

• 69poster31c.jpg
    69poster31c.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 104
1968-1970 saw my young self going to concerts as often as I could. There was just Sooooo much great music. We got a lot of concerts in Central Florida/Tampa Bay/St Petersburg/Lakeland and I saw so many of the 60's greats. Free, Spirit, Bob Seger, etc etc. I was telling my wife the other day the very last concert I went to was Tom Petty over in Gainesville at the Odome and how much I enjoyed it (1987-8?) (we've only been married 21 years).

Was it this show?
Nope this one

s-l300.jpg

My mother had too many restrictions on my nefarious activities and my older brother wasn't one bit cool.
We both purchased the album on release from a place called the Gas Co. (Vinyl, equipment for smoking tobacco products and a black lighted meditation room with posters). I had the 45 with I didn't know was the radio edit. My LP lasted a day until my mom smashed it because of the obscenities. Ha.

I finally caught the wonderful and informative documentary ECHO in the CANYON [Now showing on NETFLIX] hosted by Jakob Dylan which outlines the burgeoning music scene in LA's Laurel Canyon during the period described in this article.

The mid to late 60's was indeed a cornucopia of untold musical treasures and if you have any interest in this period, do watch ECHO in the CANYON!

See the source image

I finally caught the wonderful and informative documentary ECHO in the CANYON [Now showing on NETFLIX] hosted by Jakob Dylan which outlines the burgeoning music scene in LA's Laurel Canyon during the period described in this article.

The mid to late 60's was indeed a cornucopia of untold musical treasures and if you have any interest in this period, do watch ECHO in the CANYON!

See the source image
Right on, watching it now!🤠

See the source image

Wonderful show and documentary; that anyone who lived through this period and enjoyed the music should see. I was a little surprised that Joni Mitchell wasn't mentioned in this show. Her classic album "Ladies Of The Canyon" was dedicated to this whole scene. I need to dig up my copy of that album and play it (it's been awhile.)

Also, thought the ladies performing in the concert section of the show were fantastic; sang their hearts out!

Wonderful show and documentary; that anyone who lived through this period and enjoyed the music should see. I was a little surprised that Joni Mitchell wasn't mentioned in this show. Her classic album "Ladies Of The Canyon" was dedicated to this whole scene. I need to dig up my copy of that album and play it (it's been awhile.)

Also, thought the ladies performing in the concert section of the show were fantastic; sang their hearts out!

You're absolutely correct, Pupster. Strange, Joni Mitchell wasn't mentioned. Love Ladies of the Canyon.....have an HDCD remastered CD somewhere, also. I know she's been in poor health lately but she was certainly an integral part of that scene.

See the source image

Last edited:
Didn't you think on the Blue cover she looked like Iggy Pop or someone in another thread -LOL

MOST unfortunately, Joni is now confined to a wheelchair suffering from Morgellon syndrome. Morgellon's disease is an uncommon, poorly understood condition characterized by small fibers or other particles emerging from skin sores. People with this condition often report feeling as if something were crawling on or stinging their skin.

See the source image

I'd be BLUE, too, Pupster if I had what Joni has!

See the source image

Last edited:
MOST unfortunately, Joni is now confined to a wheelchair suffering from Morgellon syndrome. Morgellon's disease is an uncommon, poorly understood condition characterized by small fibers or other particles emerging from skin sores. People with this condition often report feeling as if something were crawling on or stinging their skin.

See the source image

See the source image
I think she's actually doing somewhat better these days (she suffered an aneurysm a couple of years ago, too). She spoke to The New Yorker's Amanda Petrusich recently, on the occasion of the release of a book of her early drawings & lyrics.

I think she's actually doing somewhat better these days (she suffered an aneurysm a couple of years ago, too). She spoke to The New Yorker's Amanda Petrusich recently, on the occasion of the release of a book of her early drawings & lyrics.

And when OH WHEN is her Reprise label going to reissue some of her MAGNIFICENT albums on hi res physical disc. BLUE was announced as 5.1 DVD~A release back in the early 00's but NEVER materialized. Instead we got a MLP DVD~A 5.1 of standards .....hardly representative of Mitchell's ouvre!

SO glad she's doing better.

You mentioned the HDCD Joni remasters . . . bought one to try it out and compare, and immediately chucked all CDs of hers and replaced gradually with the HDCDs! They sound fantastic!

Miffed that the newer Oppos didn't do, and now even newer players don't do, HDCD :mad: I wonder if that makes a difference, though, as long as the system is hi-res?

See the source image

See the source image
Yeah, just to be clear, that was Gene that thought that. (Although at a quick glance, I could sort of see his point.)
Actually, even Mrs. Pupster will tell you I've been in Love with Joni from afar since I was in puberty, like so many other young men of my age.
What I really want are the Court and Spark, and The Hissing of Summer Lawns to be released in a modern Quad format (preferably with a MJD mastering.) May never happen (but at least I've heard good conversions) and hopefully the masters haven't burned up!

You mentioned the HDCD Joni remasters . . . bought one to try it out and compare, and immediately chucked all CDs of hers and replaced gradually with the HDCDs! They sound fantastic!

Miffed that the newer Oppos didn't do, and now even newer players don't do, HDCD :mad: I wonder if that makes a difference, though, as long as the system is hi-res?
I've got Court and Spark in HDCD and it does play on my Oppo 205, just not sure how it's reading it?

I've got Court and Spark in HDCD and it does play on my Oppo 205, just not sure how it's reading it?

A member here mentioned that a light came on his player when it was HDCD. My old Denon universal (which listed HDCD) didn't have any indication one way or the other, but the sound was noticeably better than the non-HDCD disc. I went to an older model Oppo (105) as it mentioned it played HDCD. But I'm sure the HDCDs play like a CD on any CD player, you just don't get the fuller range.

Maybe it is read by any hi-res player, and no indication is necessary? And that's why it is no longer mentioned?

Last edited:

Pupster, the 103/105 and most previous OPPO models did incorporate HDCD decoding but unfortunately, the 203/205 do NOT. It will read as a regular CD [44.1/16] where 'supposedly' the HDCD encode/decode was 20 bit although my pre/pro still showed 44.1/16. It baffles the mind!

The only label, AFAIK, which currently releases HDCD encoded CDs is Reference Recording......they even incorporate it on the CD layer of their multichannel SACDs. BTW, Professor Johnson [of Reference Recordings] was one of the originators of the HDCD process. You see, Pupster, you learn something NEW every day. :QQlove

See the source image

Last edited:
Back