Focusrite Scarlett review - STAY AWAY!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote in favor of Focusrite products for music production. Have owned two different Scarlett interfaces over recent years. Both have performed well and been stable.

10.15 is the first MacOS that is 64 bit only. ie Dropped support for 32 bit apps and they will not run. 32 bit up to 10.14. 10.6 was in the early days of 64 bit apps. Can't remember the first one to support 64 bit.
Support for apps and support for processors are different things. I'm pretty sure support for 32-bit Intel processors was dropped long ago. If 10.6 only ran on G5s and not G4s, that would make it a 64-bit-only OS on PowerPC. I'm pretty sure I was running 10.6 on my PowerBook G4 12", though, so I think it would run on the MDD PowerMac, too.

Hope it's not on the Internet! Security nightmare. What version of Mac OS are you running?
Running 10.5 on the MDD. As it's a PowerPC processor I've not found any security issues to date. I'm guessing that folks that write malicious stuff want to affect the most machines possible. With the extremely small percentage (less than 1%) of people running this old of a processor (along with the processors 'structure' for lack of a better term), it's not a prime target for mass disruption, but your point is well taken. It could certainly be an issue. I do some email and some other online stuff with it, but unlike most folks it's not on 24/7 AND connected.

I know I'm correct that 10.5 is the end of the line for the PPC CPUs (G4 & G5). 10.6 and forward was Intel only.

I'm guessing that folks that write malicious stuff want to affect the most machines possible.
I'm not talking about malicious code, but rather security holes in the operating system that can be exploited over WAN. Nobody's writing viruses for PowerPC, but someone could more easily remote view 10.5 than 10.15, for instance.
I know I'm correct that 10.5 is the end of the line for the PPC CPUs (G4 & G5). 10.6 and forward was Intel only.
I guess it was just the 10.6 Developer Preview I was running on my PowerBook. My mistake.

I'm not talking about malicious code, but rather security holes in the operating system that can be exploited over WAN. Nobody's writing viruses for PowerPC, but someone could more easily remote view 10.5 than 10.15, for instance.

I guess it was just the 10.6 Developer Preview I was running on my PowerBook. My mistake.
I appreciate your concern and, as I said, point well taken. Thank you JJ!

Back