Future Dutton Vocalion & Dutton Epoch SACD Release Schedule

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not focused on either one - I've accepted that we're going to get what Michael Dutton wants to give us, and it will be a mix of things I've always wanted and things I have no interest in. Frankly, getting anything at all from the original master tapes is a gift. Running a record label is a passion project these days, not a road to riches, and that means releases will follow the passions of whoever is doing the reissues.

The key fact to me is that more is coming.

While I’m not a fan of a lot of this stuff, I simply see it more as archival preservation at this point.

This may be the last chance to get so many of these old quad mixes properly transferred to a hi-res format (or any format, really) before they are lost forever. Almost certainly our last opportunity to acquire them in a physical format.

I’ve wondered if Mr Dutton doesn’t feel somewhat the same. That even if he’s not making much money on some of this stuff, that SOMEBODY needs to be doing this.

I just hope that the rock, pop, and soul titles are not the lesser sellers of their catalogue. That my favorites are not the loss leaders of the pack.

If they were to get a Santana title I will buy two copies unseen unheard. Just like I did with AF - I grabbed two or three copies in a few cases, when I felt it was a special release with future demand. It can't hurt the label when they get the double orders coming in.

I just hope that the rock, pop, and soul titles are not the lesser sellers of their catalogue. That my favorites are not the loss leaders of the pack.

If they were to get a Santana title I will buy two copies unseen unheard. Just like I did with AF - I grabbed two or three copies in a few cases, when I felt it was a special release with future demand. It can't hurt the label when they get the double orders coming in.

Only DV knows what the best selling releases are in their catalog.

But I continue to see requests from their customers for more Easy Listening releases from Henry Mancini, Percy Faith, and Ray Conniff.
So I'm sure there will be more Surround SACDs from these artists. And there are quite a few '70s era Quad recordings from those three that haven't arrived on DV Surround SACDs yet..... :)

But I continue to see requests from their customers for more Easy Listening releases from Henry Mancini, Percy Faith, and Ray Conniff.
So I'm sure there will be more Surround SACDs from these artists. And there are quite a few '70s era Quad recordings from those three that haven't arrived on DV Surround SACDs yet..... :)
YIKES!

There have also been some DV customer requests for more Paul Mauriat and some Frank Chacksfield Surround SACDs.

In the '70s, both artists had surround releases. So I wouldn't be surprised to see more Mauriat.
Chacksfield was on London, so that may be less likely since the tapes would be at Universal I'm guessing.

That stuff isn't my style, but I'm glad the marketplace is being served - and a reminder that if there's no-one else issuing the discs and you can get both quad fans and the artist's core fans, you can sell a fair number of copies of music that's presumably easy to license.

There have also been some DV customer requests for more Paul Mauriat and some Frank Chacksfield Surround SACDs.

In the '70s, both artists had surround releases. So I wouldn't be surprised to see more Mauriat.
Chacksfield was on London, so that may be less likely since the tapes would be at Universal I'm guessing.

And then depression set in......

if there's no-one else issuing the discs and you can get both quad fans and the artist's core fans, you can sell a fair number of copies of music that's presumably easy to license.

It's the "selling a fair number of copies" part that is the sticking point these days when it comes to reissues.
As one record label exec told me, "if Surround Sound sold more copies, we would make them".

This makes it sound like the bulk of requests to D-V you see online as being for easy listening material, which I think is an irresponsible characterization. Of course they're going to get those, along with requests for classical music, because they have a long history (and excellent reputation) with that material.

It's worth remembering that over the last 3 years that they've also released more music from "popular" genres on SACD than most of the other reissue labels combined, and I've seen just as much praise for (and requests for) music from those genres in D-V's social media channels as I have for the "dreaded" easy listening/classical releases. And that doesn't even count what goes on here, where hundreds (or possibly thousands, if you count the lurkers) of people are constantly clamoring for further releases.

So I think it's safe to say that more than three years in, "popular" SACD releases aren't some temporary 'off course' derivation for the label, nor are they blissfully unaware for the demand for more of this type of thing. Look at the Analogue Productions release of Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced, which has been languishing in pre-order status for nearly a year and a half now as an indicator of how difficult it can be to get a high profile pop release out the front door, and appreciate the fact that the next time D-V makes a release announcement that you'll probably get a shipping notice within 24 hours of of ordering. If they can issue easy listening/classical releases (which are presumably low hanging fruit, in licensing/financial terms) in the meantime while they wait for the popular 'big guns' titles to iron themselves out, that's a win/win situation for everyone - a label in good finanical health can take calculated risks on other titles (like the ones they marked 'limited edition' perhaps?) and at the same time make these easy listening and classical quad mixes available for the first (and possibly only) time digitally.

Is the waiting the hardest part? Absolutely, and don't I know it - I got the news about the Derringer and Guess Who titles nearly a year before they hit the streets! But you have to trust the wisdom of any label that's been in business for more than 20 (twenty!) years, even if, in the short terms, the releases you want don't come in the order you want them.

It's worth remembering that over the last 3 years that they've also released more music from "popular" genres on SACD than most of the other reissue labels combined, and I've seen just as much praise for (and requests for) music from those genres in D-V's social media channels as I have for the "dreaded" easy listening/classical releases. And that doesn't even count what goes on here, where hundreds (or possibly thousands, if you count the lurkers) of people are constantly clamoring for further releases.

Oh hell yes!! These are the words I love hearing....woo hoo!

This makes it sound like the bulk of requests to D-V you see online as being for easy listening material, which I think is an irresponsible characterization. Of course they're going to get those, along with requests for classical music, because they have a long history (and excellent reputation) with that material.

So I think it's safe to say that more than three years in, "popular" SACD releases aren't some temporary 'off course' derivation for the label, nor are they blissfully unaware for the demand for more of this type of thing. Look at the Analogue Productions release of Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced, which has been languishing in pre-order status for nearly a year and a half now as an indicator of how difficult it can be to get a high profile pop release out the front door, and appreciate the fact that the next time D-V makes a release announcement that you'll probably get a shipping notice within 24 hours of of ordering. If they can issue easy listening/classical releases (which are presumably low hanging fruit, in licensing/financial terms) in the meantime while they wait for the popular 'big guns' titles to iron themselves out, that's a win/win situation for everyone - a label in good finanical health can take calculated risks on other titles (like the ones they marked 'limited edition' perhaps?) and at the same time make these easy listening and classical quad mixes available for the first (and possibly only) time digitally.

Is the waiting the hardest part? Absolutely, and don't I know it - I got the news about the Derringer and Guess Who titles nearly a year before they hit the streets! But you have to trust the wisdom of any label that's been in business for more than 20 (twenty!) years, even if, in the short terms, the releases you want don't come in the order you want them.
And that’s why DV is the exception and I have faith.

e same time make these easy listening and classical quad mixes available for the first (and possibly only) time digitally.

Thanks for the encouraging update on D~V's committment to releasing more multichannel discs ..... across ALL genres.

I think one of the most discouraging aspects to Surround Lovers EVERYWHERE is not knowing what is ACTUALLY available for release from the majors either due to lost/damaged masters or licensing snafus due to artist's opposition to re~releasing them in multichannel and why major labels like Warner/Rhino and Universal are still sitting on those aging Quad/5.1 masters for whatever [to me, incomprehensible] reasons.

I really think this third wave of interest in multichannel has been sparked by the ubiquity of the Universal Player which, of course, was not extant during the early 00 wave. Even with OPPO out of business, thousands [maybe even millions] of them are in homes worldwide and hardware manufacturers SONY, Pioneer, etc are still releasing Universal players ....... so this third wave has seen a robust committment to multichannel releases ...... from unexpected camps as well [The Beatles, Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, Rush, Be Bop Deluxe, etc.] and since US Reissue Companies, MoFi and AP have little or NO interest in multichannel and with [sadly] Audio Fidelity out of business .... the mantle now lies with UK's Dutton Vocalion who have, in a short span of time, released more multichannel releases than all the other reissue companies combined [which Steelydave has touched upon and which I've been saying for the past few years].

With SACD multichannel classical releases in no short supply these days, we do look to D~V for more popular fare and hopefully, in time, Rhino/Warner and Universal will see the light and form an alliance with them because as we're all well aware, these 'Waves' don't last forever.

Last edited:
So I'm sure there will be more Surround SACDs from these artists. And there are quite a few '70s era Quad recordings from those three that haven't arrived on DV Surround SACDs yet.....
And then depression set in......

I bought a few of DV's Easy Listening titles for just one song on each...Henry Mancini, Hugo Montenegro. They came as part of two-fers. I will pick a single track during a mixed genre session. Listening this way, I find most of these tracks to be quite good. The instrumentation, inventive arrangements and certainly the surround mixes are very well done. Excellent dynamic range and clarity also. I've become particularly fond of this one:

BTW, the sound on the DV is LIGHT YEARS BETTER than on this YouTube video.

What can I say, Steely? Thanks!!!

Very well put, as always! It is easy to get spoiled by the riches we have gotten in the last couple of years. If course I would love more popular titles, but I understand that this is not an easy business. Look at the reissue companies that have folded or pulled product recently. D/V have to do what is best for their business model and from the outside it looks like have it figured out. Hopefully they are Going strong for years to come. I will continue to explore some of their releases I would ordinarily pass on. The quality is fantastic, the pricing extremely reasonable, and opening myself up to some new music is never a bad thing. BTW.....killer sleeve notes too!!

Hey AR I have sampled many of their easy listening selections and agree there are some jewels in there. Meaning I have bought them.You are smart to play them on a single song basis. That is probably a better way to appreciate these cover versions.
I just cant handle a whole library of this type of music or entire evening non stop...but then many would say the same thing about other genres of music.
I felt bad only buying the Tomita from DVs last batch. Hoping I find more I can buy in the next one.

Hey AR I have sampled many of their easy listening selections and agree there are some jewels in there. Meaning I have bought them.You are smart to play them on a single song basis. That is probably a better way to appreciate these cover versions.
I just cant handle a whole library of this type of music or entire evening non stop...but then many would say the same thing about other genres of music.
I felt bad only buying the Tomita from DVs last batch. Hoping I find more I can buy in the next one.

When you're old and grey, Jeff, you'll find yourself playing those Easy Listening titles ...... more and more ..... in heavy rotation [LOL]!

See the source image

With SACD multichannel classical releases in no short supply these days, we do look to D~V for more popular fare and hopefully, in time, Rhino/Warner and Universal will see the light and form an alliance with them because as we're all well aware, these 'Waves' don't last forever.
There's plenty of classical material available, but it's almost all recorded live ambience-style, often with regional orchestras (with exceptions of course, but rarely is one record an exception to both) A lot of classical from the early 70s was mixed very aggressively, with prominent artists/ensembles that are either long gone or substantially grayed. And I want more! Also, @steelydave, I don't think there's a ton of awareness among the classical world about D-V's reissue program, despite certain folks here mentioning it whenever is possible. I didn't take the post to say that D-V is resting on their laurels, but there is demand for more of the classical stuff. Just look at the sales DGG had with their reissue of the Steinberg Planets/Zarathustra in quad...

Also, I realized I got slightly annoyed at the way classical and easy listening were talked of in the same breath, but even I'll admit on reflection that's a little silly, especially since Arthur Fiedler and others straddled that line (and Fiedler especially put out some great pure classical records in the quad era that are currently OOP in any format).

Back