SPOTLIGHT Gene Clark "No Other" (New 5.1 surround mix on Blu-Ray and SACD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this looks like it is for the Gene Clark NO OTHER Super fan. I am sure they will love it.

Snood just listened to this last night and was like wow There are some real goooooood songs on here. I will definitely buy the CD. The LP and book and flexies would be lost on me. Might end up enjoying them if Snood indulged into it, but if me order and it it super limited then some other superfan might not get one.

The thing is.........Snood would be all in on a SACDs/Bluray packaging 50-75 or Bluray/CD 40-50 just dont need the vinyl, book, flexis and box etc. - although tempting. lol:LB

Retired Snood is a lil less flexible with budget than worky Snood. :unsure:

Would love to support the Hobby and Neil on this one (still might lol) and Snood hopes it sells out and we all go damn 140 doesn't seem so bad now that it is 300 plus lol.

But also hope it comes out with some other packages toooooooo :rocks

I have to admit, I love Gene Clark and I love the Byrds. I own two Byrd’s box sets and I also already own a copy of No Other. I’m in a quandary here. $190 is a lot of money, particularly considering that it, in some measure, buys me music that I already own, in addition to vinyl that I’ll never play. I’ll thumb through the book probably once, after which it’ll probably collect dust. Like many here, I’d prefer a CD/Blu Ray set without the vinyl and without the book. Will I end up buying the box set? At this point, I really don’t know.

I have to admit, I love Gene Clark and I love the Byrds. I own two Byrd’s box sets and I also already own a copy of No Other. I’m in a quandary here. $190 is a lot of money, particularly considering that it, in some measure, buys me music that I already own, in addition to vinyl that I’ll never play. I’ll thumb through the book probably once, after which it’ll probably collect dust. Like many here, I’d prefer a CD/Blu Ray set without the vinyl and without the book. Will I end up buying the box set? At this point, I really don’t know.

140 not 190 - with shipping about 149 - you just got a 50 dollar discount :D

I still can't relate to a lot of the music on the album, but this one is my personal favorite (and it sounds stunning in 5.1):

:)

The name Gene Clark I didn’t recognise, but I know The Byrds.

I really like the music on the clip posted, but at that price I won’t be buying.

It's a stunning album with the potential to be mind-blowingly good in surround. This is so tough for me...it really is an Instant purchase, but the price and bloating of the box is holding me back. It makes me wonder what they really want to achieve with it, particularly as they are also releasing a stand-alone LP and a 2CD set containing a lot of the outtakes.
I really can't believe that they will limit both the documentary and the surround mix to just this limited set. I mean, why go to the trouble of producing all that stuff and then limiting the release and potential revenue from it by only releasing it in a limited box? The box is padded with a lot of stuff that bumps the price and costs money to produce. Surely they would recuperate more of the production costs by releasing a stand-alone BR that would sell lots more, no?

A few other little 'exclusive' bits of information about The Blu-Ray in this set, to potentially whet your appetite (despite the enormous expense of this set)

There's some cool new features that have never really been utilized on Blu-Ray audio discs that are a part of this release (and that required extensive testing on multiple players too!)
The first is the ability to switch the on-screen lyrics on and off while playing any audio playlist.
The next feature is a "shuffle play" mode which shuffles the tracks across all audio playlists and plays them back in a completely random order.
The final feature (and the one that is probably the coolest) is the ability to create custom playlists using tracks from any audio playlist and not only play the new custom playlist back right then and there but also store it on your Blu-Ray player's internal storage for future playability. (So if you want to create a playlist that has all versions of "Strength of Strings" on the disc, then you can!) (Also, the disc allows you to create and save up to 5 custom playlists at any given time.)

In terms of the content itself, the 5.1 mix is exactly the way you would want it to sound. It's very discrete while still tastefully honoring the sound of the original mix (aka no extreme revisionist mixing on this one)
Beyond the 5.1 mix, the next best bit of content on The Blu-Ray is the new documentary about the making of the album that features interviews from those who were around when the album was made as well as from people who have been putting this reissue together.
If you are a big fan of the album, the "No Other Sessions" playlists offer some very interesting alternate takes of all the songs on the album.

Finally, I'm very surprised that the 5.1 mix is also being released on SACD (cause all I tested was The Blu-Ray) but I am disappointed that both The Blu-Ray and the SACDs are only being released in a rather expensive set. So while I do like The Blu-Ray disc very much, it's hard for me to justify recommending that people run out and buy this set, but if you are a fan of the music, then this is most definitely the definitive version.
I still can't relate to a lot of the music on the album, but this one is my personal favorite (and it sounds stunning in 5.1):

:)

NOW I get the 4AD "connection"!!!!
This song was covered by "This Mortal Coil" (the 4AD "superband/incestous group")!!!!
VERYYY innnteresting....

This is esteem in which Gene Clark and his family held "No Other" in his discography:

NoOther.jpg

I bit the bullet and placed a pre-order for “No Other.” Who was I kidding? I love Gene Clark’s music, whether it be with the Byrds, the Dillards, the Gosdins or solo. It’s highly unlikely that we’ll ever see another Clark box set prepared as thoroughly as this one. I’ll probably also listen to it way more than I’ll listen to a subset of the other expensive boxes that I own. In the end it’s all about the music. Besides, you gotta like a guy named Gene!

I bit the bullet and placed a pre-order for “No Other.” Who was I kidding? I love Gene Clark’s music, whether it be with the Byrds, the Dillards, the Gosdins or solo. It’s highly unlikely that we’ll ever see another Clark box set prepared as thoroughly as this one. I’ll probably also listen to it way more than I’ll listen to a subset of the other expensive boxes that I own. In the end it’s all about the music. Besides, you gotta like a guy named Gene!

YES!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back