HiRez Poll Gerhardt, Charles & Kiri Te Kanawa - CITIZEN KANE: THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF BERNARD HERRMAN [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Charles Gerhardt - CITIZEN KANE: THE CLASSIC FILM SCORES OF BERNARD HERRMAN

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion.

(y):)(n)

On Dangerous Ground (Herrmann)
1. The Death Hunt

Citizen Kane (Herrmann)
2. Prelude: Xanadu – Snow Picture
3. Theme and Variations (Breakfast Montage)
4. Aria from Salammbô KT
5. Rosebud and Finale

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef (Herrmann)
6. The Sea – The Lagoon –
7. Descending – The Undersea Forest –
8. The Octopus – Homecoming

Hangover Square (Herrmann)
9. Concerto Macabre for piano and orchestra JA

White Witch Doctor (Herrmann)
10. Talking Drums – Prelude: The Riverboat – Petticoat Dance – The Safari –
11 Tarantula – The Lion –
12 Nocturne –
13. Abduction of the Bakuba Boy – The Skulls –
14. Lonni Bound by Ropes – Departure

BONUS TRACK
From THE SPECTACULAR WORLD OF CLASSIC FILM SCORES
LP RL 42005 (1977) STEREO/REMIXED IN QUADRAPHONIC SOUND from the original analogue multi-track tapes by Michael J. Dutton
King of the Khyber Rifles (Herrmann)
15. The Attack on the Mountain Stronghold

KT KIRI TE KANAWA soprano
JA JOAQUÍN ACHÚCARRO piano
NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA conducted by CHARLES GERHARDT
Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

81WIeXE3KiL._SL1486_.jpg

thanks for adding this QQ Poll Ryan and thanks to DV for doing this on SACD at all, they've done me a favour since this title came up for sale on CD-4 LP but never appealed to me back when i was hoovering up old Quad records and tapes.. boy did i pass by some great surround music! its a joy to hear this stuff in Quad (and find out what i was missing by letting my musical narrow mindedness get in the way!) this disc has some fab surround mixes on it, some of the White Witch Doctor tracks in particular are mind-boggling!! even the bonus track newly mixed by Michael Dutton is surround-y cool and fits in nicely with the rest of the original Quad album.

its a "9". (surround mix = 3/3, sound quality = 3/3, content = 2/3, package = 1/1).

thanks for adding this QQ Poll Ryan and thanks to DV for doing this on SACD at all, they've done me a favour since this title came up for sale on CD-4 LP but never appealed to me back when i was hoovering up old Quad records and tapes.. boy did i pass by some great surround music! its a joy to hear this stuff in Quad (and find out what i was missing by letting my musical narrow mindedness get in the way!) this disc has some fab surround mixes on it, some of the White Witch Doctor tracks in particular are mind-boggling!! even the bonus track newly mixed by Michael Dutton is surround-y cool and fits in nicely with the rest of the original Quad album.

its a "9". (surround mix = 3/3, sound quality = 3/3, content = 2/3, package = 1/1).

Totally agree, Adam. I did vote a 10. I'm hoping that Michael Dutton, at some juncture, can access the master QUAD tapes for the London Phase 4 Bernard Herrman masterpiece: The Fantasy World of Bernard Hermann. One of the highly recommended titles which HDTT released as a stunning BD~A 4.0 [from the 7 1/2 inch QUAD dolby b encoded Open Reel Tape].

That would blow yer socks off, mate.....and probably give you the best pedicure you've ever had!

Last edited:
Totally agree, Adam. I did vote a 10. I'm hoping that Michael Dutton, at some juncture, can access the master QUAD tapes for the London Phase 4 Bernard Herrman masterpiece: The Fantasy World of Bernard Hermann. One of the highly recommended titles which HDTT released as a stunning BD~A 4.0 [from the 7 1/2 inch QUAD dolby b encoded Open Reel Tape].

That would blow yer socks off, mate.....and probably give you the best pedicure you've ever had!

I absolutely agree. In addition to the existing Gerhardt series, The London Phase 4 recordings of Bernard Herrmann's Classic Film Scores, and The Fantasy World of Bernard Herrmann would be a terrific new addition to the SACD format. previously these cds were issued as the 24 Karat Gold MFSL audiophile cds. I love those performances and recordings. Also Dutton did a remaster of BEN HUR & QUAO VADIS as a 2 CD set almost a decade ago and if that could also be re-represented on the multi channel format would make me and others very happy.

With 5 of the Charles Gerhardt Quad Mixed albums recordings in SACD now, I expect one more title to be incoming; that being CASABLANCA: CLASSIC FILMS OF HUMPHREY BOGART.

Back