GLEN CAMPBELL-THE LEGACY SET

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to have this music...IF the DR isn't crushed...which I always fear now...and the past titles aren't very encouraging....here is a "so called" audiophile download...and here is the vinyl version of that album
Unfortunately, I have absolutely no doubt the DR is toast on this set. I bought last couple Campbell titles on CD and they were embarrassing.

I bought the Adios CD a couple of years ago and the sound was pretty awful (DR 8) but the "Greatest Hits" CD that was a bonus disc was worse with a DR of 6. Classic material ruined by the knob-twiddlers -such a shame. The new collection is residing in my Amazon Wishlist but I will wait until I see the DRs for the set before buying it as I don't need yet another set of coasters.

. I bought last couple Campbell titles on CD and they were embarrassing
) but the "Greatest Hits" CD that was a bonus disc was worse with a DR of 6.

I have an economical solution to the Glen Campbell solution for you....this was a RE-ISSUE in 2003 which was originally released in 1991...see back then the record companies didn't need an excuse to re-issue music...they didn't have to use the infamous "remaster" to bring back a title...oh how I wish we could return to those days...the record business operates on all these antiquated rituals....like waiting until some anniversary date rolls around to release a box set...geeze...why do they need such a pretense...they own the rights...just release it whenever they feel like it...

Anyway...back to Glen Campbell...I researched his music and decided to try this one...so I tracked down that one by UPC/barcode here ...and it lives up to the numbers and is clean...just like CDs used to be...back in the day...my only requirement for the music is that it had 3 songs...Wichita Lineman...Galveston...and Rhinestone Cowboy...very pleased....

But this highlights my frustration...like others on here...the fact that I have to do research on these modern titles is absurd...this modern mastering mess is like buying an exotic sports car and then using low octane fuel and the engine sputters along...and now within a month I will be buying the most CDs I have ever purchased at one time.... in the 2 upcoming box sets.... and frankly I doubt they will be very good...I'm certainly not excited...and this inexpensive CD has already provided me with more entertainment than I'm probably going to receive with all those box CDs...but that is where we are right now...that's the reality...

Sounds very good and worth the purchase

You didn't get for Gentle On My Mind? I remember playing that in band class, not a song that leant itself well to bleating trumpets, I can only imagine what that must have sounded like to the audience. hahaha

You didn't get for Gentle On My Mind? I remember playing that in band class, not a song that leant itself well to bleating trumpets, I can only imagine what that must have sounded like to the audience. hahaha

Well John....I do like that song...but I'm sure you are familiar with MY speech about "limitations"..hehe......and records releases are in that same category now...I WISH I could just look at a title and pick it based solely on content...but that has been taken away from us music lovers...you've seen the above posts from Gos and mattB2....they tried that method and got burned...so what I do "these days" is either follow advice on the forum..or do some old school research....I go to the DR database...and search titles under the artist name to see which titles have decent DR numbers...and once I eliminate vinyl and downloads...I look for the CD that has both good numbers and a good songlist...so that's how I arrived at the above title...

Why not take a spin and see what you would have chosen HERE...and one other thing...you have to find that exact version...so I like Ebay over amazon because I can see actual pictures of what I'm looking for..amazon descriptions are not always correct....sometimes they use "stock pictures"...not the actual version you are buying..
Thanks for the info I ordered this too.

Here is a better deal on Ebay.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, having bought the compressed "Greatest Hits" included with Adios, I ended up with The Capitol Years via the DR Database and eBay for the princely sum of £6.99 and was much happier with the result. Maybe record companies should be forced to put a health warning on their modern CDs and downloads: "CAUTION using this music on anything but poor equipment is likely to result in headaches, nausea and feelings of being ripped-off".

I took a chance on the new version when the price came down to £25 on Amazon UK. The first three discs seem to be the same as the earlier version with DRs of 11, 10 and 11 respectively. Unfortunately disc 4 is a victim of modern mastering and comes in at a DR of 6. I suppose we are lucky that no-one decided to even-out the levels at a DR of 6. Well worth it for the first three CDs.

Back