Goldfrapp - new album in 5.1 DTS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe if it was on a label they already have arrangements with. This is on Mute.

Well, I just listened to a pre-release copy of the album (mp3 @ 320) and now I'm even more annoyed at the whole dts-dvd box thing as I really liked the music a lot on this one. It's not one of their up-tempo electro-techno albums but more along the lines of Seventh Tree. If I see reviews of the 5.1 mix and they're really positive I might have to break down and buy it.

This album is superb, just saw them live for the second time this year- last time they played the whole thing right through and this time it was a selection to kick off the gig, followed by a lot of old classics.

Anyone ordered this boxset? I am still slightly tempted.

its a lovely album but its a bit sparse for 5.1, I reckon.. a few tracks have possibilities for strings or bongos and things in the rear maybe but a lot of its acoustic guitar strumming and AG and not a whole lot else. I can't justify £65 on something that might be double stereo or ambience only.. now if it was a 2CD/DVD set for like £15-20 I'd go for it.. and if it was "Black Cherry" in surround (*) I'd probably pay 100 quid! maybe not that much but... I might risk waiting to see if any hard up fans want to flog one cheap in the run upto (or after) Xmas.. and if not I'll probably watch the scalpers snap em all up and sell them for £100+, as happened with Muse's Resistance. bloody daft idea putting the 5.1 in the Ltd Ed big box but it's not the 1st time of course & won't be last.

(*all remixed into 5.1 and ready to go apparently.. but like so many other mixes from that period around the time Sony pulled the plug on SACD, the 5.1 got shelved.. D'oh! etc.)

its a lovely album but its a bit sparse for 5.1, I reckon.. a few tracks have possibilities for strings or bongos and things in the rear maybe but a lot of its acoustic guitar strumming and AG and not a whole lot else. I can't justify £65 on something that might be double stereo or ambience only.. now if it was a 2CD/DVD set for like £15-20 I'd go for it.. and if it was "Black Cherry" in surround (*) I'd probably pay 100 quid! maybe not that much but... I might risk waiting to see if any hard up fans want to flog one cheap in the run upto (or after) Xmas.. and if not I'll probably watch the scalpers snap em all up and sell them for £100+, as happened with Muse's Resistance. bloody daft idea putting the 5.1 in the Ltd Ed big box but it's not the 1st time of course & won't be last.

(*all remixed into 5.1 and ready to go apparently.. but like so many other mixes from that period around the time Sony pulled the plug on SACD, the 5.1 got shelved.. D'oh! etc.)

Agreed on all points :)

I'm still holding out for Felt Mountain in 5.1.

That would be very cool indeed.

Well, according to their last email , it is supposed to ship today!!!

Wonder why I don't believe them??? (too many times that they have "cried "wolf"????)

I'll let you know when I get it...really don't expect a poll on this since it's such a limited release...(for now); hoping for a great mix...

Pretty quiet here. Anyone else get their box yet. Mine arrived 3 days ago, via DHL. Nice package but the way things are going I probably won't hear this till next year.
Phil.

So would anyone care to comment on the surround mix?

Hi, nothing extraordinary but suits well the music. Mostly orchestra on the rears and no voice in the center speaker, to my surprise . Overall the 5.1 is quite inmersive and I really love the music. Best of Goldfrapp until now, personally.

Thanks for the reply, César. It's a shame that the only way to get the 5.1 mix is by spending more than $100 USD for the Deluxe Box Set. As much as I would like to hear it, I could not justify the price tag so I opted for the 24bit download. I would have gladly paid double the cost of the 24bit for a non-boxed version that included the surround mix. :(

Well, it's a REAL pity that the only way to get this GORGEOUS Surround mix was to get the REALLY expensive box set....
Was listening to it last night ...now that I have a CENTER CHANNEL (yay!)(but my receiver is going to hell in a handbasket....grrr)
AND,
if you really are into Goldfrapp and , considering the relatively small amounts os MCH releases, it is WELL WORTH it....

The mix is REALLY REALLY GOOD...totally enveloping (very different from the "unorthodox yet effective" Supernature SACD/DTS mix), Orchestra is all around you, some voices panning around here and there...VERY elegant...
Mind you, I am of the "Black Cherry" kind of Goldfrapp fan and this is mostly "Felt Mountain"/"Seventh Tree" fare, but this was definitely worth the money and the wait...
BTW...It's still available
http://goldfrapp.sandbaghq.com/store/tales-of-us-deluxe-box-set.html

I really want this one as it's a great album but it's so hard to justify the price when I just want the DVD. I know I'll probably cave in eventually though....I usually do.

I also really like this mix. It really suites the music and it sounds great in DTS (although lossless would have been better!) I was able to get a used box in great shape and sell everything but this disc to someone who really wanted the B Sides CD and the rest of the box contents. Helped to recoup some of the costs.

Back