Goldfrapp status

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Cleasby

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Felt Mountain has been mastered - the surround has been artificially created.

Black Cherry will be mastered next week - the surround has been discrete mixed.

Other Mute-related news - there may be some high-res/surround action relating to the new Moby - awaiting clarification...

Patrick!!! You ARE my HERO!!!!
Goldfrapp are the pinnacle of music perfection to these ears...I am borderline obsessed. My single most wanted Surround project would be "Felt Mountain" followed closely by "Black Cherry".
There is not another band on the planet that rocks my spot like this one and you have made me the happiest dude in North America!!!
PLEASE keep me posted...
/\/\

Ran across this old thread while searching for Goldfrapp on the forums...

Patrick Cleasby said:
Felt Mountain has been mastered - the surround has been artificially created.

Patrick, if you're still around, I have to ask - what's the point? I don't know a single person, tech-minded or not, who has any time for fake "surround" processing. Why not just release it in stereo if the multitracks are gone or there's no budget for a discrete surround mix?

Black Cherry will be mastered next week - the surround has been discrete mixed.

That's one I'll definitely be picking up. Felt Mountain, though, will stay on the shelf, despite it being one of my favourite albums of recent years (or maybe BECAUSE of that!)

Neon Kitten said:
Ran across this old thread while searching for Goldfrapp on the forums...

Patrick, if you're still around, I have to ask - what's the point? I don't know a single person, tech-minded or not, who has any time for fake "surround" processing. Why not just release it in stereo if the multitracks are gone or there's no budget for a discrete surround mix?

That's one I'll definitely be picking up. Felt Mountain, though, will stay on the shelf, despite it being one of my favourite albums of recent years (or maybe BECAUSE of that!)

I have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly...

(Je suis de retour!!)

(file under Find ⌗347 in QQ Archeology)

....sigh....
My favorite Goldfrapp one and it was NEVER released in MCh...instead we got the distant second best one...I'm still undecided about "Head First", but I really like it.
But BC is the classic to me.
Any way Alison and Will can be convinced to release it at least as a Download DTS 96/24 iso image, or something else?
Hope Patrick is still around and connected to them ...

Bump...

Guess I'm about 7 years too late to ask for "Black Cherry" in MCH...FCOL, it was even MIXED to MCH!!!!(see first post)

Yesterday I was "cleaning" my 96/24 LP rip and, either they used a 96/24 source or my cartridge/stylus has the weirdest freq response ever, cause it goes up to ,and beyond 24K!!!!!

I mean, I know now that your TT setup will add resonances and /or harmonics, but this one is off the charts!!

Side A:

G BC A.jpg

Side B:

G BC B.jpg

I have Supernature on DVD (not Sacd), would love to get Black Cherry or Felt Mountain.

Bumping this old thread 'cause I've just happened to come across some info on who did the shelved mix of Black Cherry:

Mute’s DVD interests made him move into 5:1 Surround Productions. His initial assignments included mixing Moby’s „Hotel“, Goldfrapp’s „Black Cherry“ and many more.

In 2004 Kevin went freelance and re-mixed the entire Depeche Mode and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds back catalogues for SACD/DVD.

(from http://kevin-paul.com)

So Kevin Paul did also Yazoo, great mix. I need to check out his mix of Einstürzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile, to be found on the CD+DVD edition. It's only four songs, but still!

ohh ohhh, BLACK CHERRY PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Yes yes yes..!! I had it on heavy rotation back in the day.. this and Felt Mountain are their masterworks imho and nothing they've done since has surpassed these two albums.. to know there's an unreleased 5.1 of Black Cherry makes my heart ache - really, their music is made for surround (not that I was knocked out by the Supernature SACD but the album wasn't as consistently great, for me, as their previous work.. a hard act to follow but still..)

Back