HiRez Poll Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the classic album "Appetite for Destruction" by Guns N' Roses.
This 2018 deluxe edition includes a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album by renowned mixing engineer Elliot Scheiner.
The Blu-Ray also includes 5 bonus tracks and 5 music videos all mixed in 5.1 surround too.

(y):)(n)

81Jd3C8OiqL._SL1200_.jpg

So after enjoying several glasses of wine last night, I put the blu ray in. I can't say I was overly amazed, as this type of music is sometimes just loud and a bit muddled to my older ears. Slash's lead guitar cut through nicely though. However as I listened more intently, on some songs I did catch that clarity and separation of instruments I was hoping for. My amazement and apreciation grew with them. I will definitely listen again and hopefully continue to have my appreciation grow.

I am thrilled to have this kind of music available in surround. There aren't enough rock surround discs, much less of this magnitude. The quality is superb, the packing and contents as well. I thought Sweet Child was hands down the best mixed song. Not even close. I was pleased with the hits, and thought the surround treatment served them well. The songs with which I was not as familiar sounded fine, but since I didn't remember every nuance, I can't testify to there increased greatness. I also thought Patience was incredible. The bonus songs were what finalized my decision to buy this, despite the steep price. And they definitely sounded great. The videos were great, and brought back memories.

I gave it a 9. Very strong, but not quite good enough to make 10.

Thoroughly enjoyable.
The package is expensive...but those extras and more importantly; the Scheiner mix, is fantastic!
You too will hear guitar parts on this for the first time.
Layla and Assorted Love Songs immediately comes to mind.
One complaint.....$183. Canadian is too much.....

I’ll go with 9.

Just got it this weekend and still giving it a listen and look over before I vote.

Lots to like here in the set, and like Blrac said above, not a lot to compare to out there sonically. It is a very interesting MC mix, much cleaner than I would have thought with good use of all channels.

On the tech side the BluRay has the entire album and bonus tracks in -
  • 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
  • 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
  • 96kHz 24-bit 2.0 PCM Stereo
Bonus tracks are the previously unreleased Shadow of Your Love plus Patience, Used to Love Her, You're Crazy and Move to the City (acoustic)

This review is NSFW (not safe for work). I may insult you during this review. Continue reading at your own risk. I make no apologies.

An absolute f*****g triumph. Mr. Scheiner, well done, sir.

This is one of the finest rock albums of all time. A surround mix of it was not only unlikely, but a dubious undertaking. It could've been so horrible - it could've been such a missed opportunity. But it was not. Elliot Scheiner, as usual, came at this project as a fan. He knew what needed to be done, and he straight up did it. /salute

From the opening maelstrom of Welcome to the Jungle, through the attitude and medium-rare presentation of It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, and Paradise City, and on to the pure-rock fury of My Michelle, the glorious Sweet Child O' Mine, and the closer Rocket Queen...we are given a phenomenal surround presentation of an album that took the steering wheel of rock n' roll in the late 80's and jerked it left into the f*****g guardrail.

The mid-80's midrange and the weird, raw production are presented here in a glorious surround experience that has no excuse for being as good as it is. We have here an unparalleled rock surround mix. Most metal/rock mixes are seriously lackluster, but not this one. There's an outstanding video presentation to go with it - punk, metal, and sexy. Just like the band.

Add to this, some amazing surround mixes of the GnR 'Lies' tracks like Patience, Used to Love Her, and the acoustic mix of You're Crazy...you have an absolutely INCREDIBLE blu-ray here.

There are a lot of folks out there who do not like this album. Nostalgia-wise, I'm not sure what you were doing when this album came out (I was a high-school senior being regularly b***n by a seriously hot college chick...), but if you don't like it - you really missed out on history. A true melding of the mid-80's punk and the mid-80's glam, GnR helped pave the way for metal to survive the coming of grunge in the early 90's. Pantera took the torch from GnR and ensured its survival, but GnR stepped up early on and said "Please go f**k yourself." And rock and metal lived on. This is an absolute masterpiece, and this release is nothing short of a gawdam gift. Thank you Elliot Scheiner. /respect

Edited: lol, for drunk language :p

Last edited:
This review is NSFW (not safe for work). I may insult you during this review. Continue reading at your own risk. I make no apologies.

An absolute fucking triumph. Mr. Scheiner, well done, sir.

This is one of the finest rock albums of all time. A surround mix of it was not only unlikely, but a dubious undertaking. It could've been so horrible - it could've been such a missed opportunity. But it was not. Elliot Scheiner, as usual, came at this project as a fan. He knew what needed to be done, and he straight up did it. /salute

From the opening maelstrom of Welcome to the Jungle, through the attitude and medium-rare presentation of It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, and Paradise City, and on to the pure-rock fury of My Michelle, the glorious Sweet Child O' Mine, and the closer Rocket Queen...we are given a phenomenal surround presentation of an album that took the steering wheel of rock n' roll in the late 80's and jerked it left into the fucking guardrail.

The mid-80's midrange and the weird, raw production are presented here in a glorious surround experience that has no excuse for being as good as it is. We have here an unparalleled rock surround mix. Most metal/rock mixes are seriously lackluster, but not this one. There's an outstanding video presentation to go with it - punk, metal, and sexy. Just like the band.

Add to this, some amazing surround mixes of the GnR 'Lies' tracks like Patience, Used to Love Her, and the acoustic mix of You're Crazy...you have an absolutely INCREDIBLE blu-ray here.

There are a lot of folks out there who do not like this album. Nostalgia-wise, I'm not sure what you were doing when this album came out (I was a high-school senior being regularly blown by a seriously hot college chick...), but if you don't like it - you really missed out on history. A true melding of the mid-80's punk and the mid-80's glam, GnR helped pave the way for metal to survive the coming of grunge in the early 90's. Pantera took the torch from GnR and ensured its survival, but GnR stepped up early on and said "Please go fuck yourself." And rock and metal lived on. This is an absolute masterpiece, and this release is nothing short of a gawdam gift. Thank you Elliot Scheiner. /respect

Excellent overview, Jeddia!

Yes, this release/remix came out of left field. Never expected this. And to coax E. Scheiner out of retirement [he's 71] for an obvious 'pet project' and the fact he hasn't lost that magical touch that has graced so many CLASSIC surround remixes is a true testament to his genius.

My next question: Any chance we'll be getting Use Your Illusion I & 2 in the near future with the same production team? That WOULD be awesome.

And Jeddia, hope you're now a SENIOR 'EXEC' still being b***n by that HOT CHICK [from accounting!] Guns 'n Roses will do that for ya!

I gave Appetite a solid vote of 9! Am currently listening to RBCD #3 ...... likewise EXCELLENT!

Last edited:
Voted a 10. I'm struggling with my lack of quibbles on this. They did everything right, except perhaps the price - but if that's what it cost to get one of the most important rock albums ever into surround, so be it.

I do wish they included any live shows- the Live at the Ritz show is an easy choice for inclusion, and a ES mix from the original elements seems a natural choice, and something he's comfortable with (he's worked with MTV material before, most notably Nirvana's Unplugged show). And it's documented that lots of film exists, albeit not always in perfect quality, from the years of shows and touring from the 80s. But I'm assuming none of it was included for a variety of reasons. The easy comparison is Metallica's Master of Puppets, which includes 6 or 7 full concerts, interviews, and more. This box is a dump of all the studio stuff from the era, and nothing else.

But taking the material as it is, I can't imagine it being any better. And giving us the videos in great quality, with the 5.1 mix synced, is the icing on the cake.

Voted a 10. I'm struggling with my lack of quibbles on this. They did everything right, except perhaps the price - but if that's what it cost to get one of the most important rock albums ever into surround, so be it.

I do wish they included any live shows- the Live at the Ritz show is an easy choice for inclusion, and a ES mix from the original elements seems a natural choice, and something he's comfortable with (he's worked with MTV material before, most notably Nirvana's Unplugged show). And it's documented that lots of film exists, albeit not always in perfect quality, from the years of shows and touring from the 80s. But I'm assuming none of it was included for a variety of reasons. The easy comparison is Metallica's Master of Puppets, which includes 6 or 7 full concerts, interviews, and more. This box is a dump of all the studio stuff from the era, and nothing else.

But taking the material as it is, I can't imagine it being any better. And giving us the videos in great quality, with the 5.1 mix synced, is the icing on the cake.

I won't receive mine until next week...but from the reactions I'm getting...I'm getting pretty excited...this is an album that I haven't heard for a LONG time...with the exception of Welcome To The Jungle...so it will be fresh for me..

Oh man, I wasn't planning on getting this, but the rave reviews are making me itchy all over!!!

Kap, if it's any consolation I received mine for $113.80 from ImportCD when they had their 10% off sale and that price included all shipping charges and NO tax. When I see how much QQers in European countries paid for their copy [as much as $250]....I'm aghast. I also received it in MINT condition within 3 days of release [via regular shipping methods......NOT expedited].

IMO, a genuine slam dunk release worthy of a seat at the Kaptain's table! :SG

Wow. Another home run to add to Elliot Scheiner's two decade-long streak. While I wouldn't say this is his masterpiece (for me it’s Layla, but that’s up for debate), it definitely lands in the upper echelon of his 50+ surround mixes out there.

The fact he was able to so perfectly translate this monumental album to surround really shows the extent of his talent and versatility. The guy’s taken on everything from classic rock (Eagles, Doobie Brothers, Clapton, etc) to more modern alternative-type acts (R.E.M., Beck) and all kinds of styles/genres in between. But I’d say this is different from anything he’s tackled in the past: it’s loud, obnoxious, explicit, dirty, juvenile, you name it. It couldn’t be further from the ultra-clean perfectionist sound of Steely Dan, but somehow the same guy who did those recordings justice does the same for this one. Incredible.

As with most ES mixes, there are all kinds of new elements revealed, yet it still sounds familiar. Standout moments for me were the opening of “Welcome To The Jungle”, with Slash’s iconic guitar shredding starting in right rear but jumping up to right front and back at a key moment, the spread out harmonies in “Paradise City”, the famous riff in “Sweet Child O’ Mine” coming from right behind your head, the chaotic closer that is "Rocket Queen", and the immersive acoustic guitars in "Patience".

Most tracks often appear to be focused across the fronts, with the two guitarists and drums presented in wide stereo and vocals straight up the middle. Then all of a sudden, some guitar overdub or backing vocal line you didn’t know existed will just explode out from behind you.

I was curious if the bonus tracks mixed by Frank Filipetti would stand out in comparison to the album tracks, as his style is so different from ES. Sure enough, the Filipetti-mixed tracks do follow his usual style of having the vocals largely isolated in the center, and they are somewhat less aggressive about using the rear channels.

My only complaints would be the price point (though I’m incredibly grateful that UMG commissioned this mix) and that it can be a bit fatiguing at high volume, but I think this is more part of the intentional sound of the album.

A 9 from me. Thank you ES!

Last edited:
a triumph by Mr.Scheiner.

when he nails it, he really nails it like no other multichannel mixing man on the scene (imho).

here, he doesn't just nail it, he drives a stake through its sternum, rips out its still beating heart, throws his head back to the nightsky and howls at the moon.

even the seriously familiar "Sweet Child O'Mine" gets a new lease of life in this remix.. in the new 5.1 its so layered, so detailed, there's little bits you've never heard before and yet - and yet - it still feels right, its still the song we all know, only mixed better than ever.

an instant, unreserved, not one nanosecond of hesitation, "KISS MINE 10".

a new benchmark afaic.
not slating anyone but the guys who do the Superunknown/Temple Of The Dog type 5.1 mixes need to be encouraged to really listen to a mix of this quality before they embark on another surround music mix (imho).

First listen at home and the 5.1 really opens up this album beautifully. Very discrete. Never thought a hard rock album could be opened up so well. Usually just too much going on, but wow! Burned a dvd-a for my car, and wholly crap, I think it sounds even better. I've always loved the album, but it always seemed muddled with too much going on the cd I have. This changes that, and by alot. Rock masterpiece, 10

a triumph by Mr.Scheiner.

when he nails it, he really nails it like no other multichannel mixing man on the scene (imho).

here, he doesn't just nail it, he drives a stake through its sternum, rips out its still beating heart, throws his head back to the nightsky and howls at the moon.

even the seriously familiar "Sweet Child O'Mine" gets a new lease of life in this remix.. in the new 5.1 its so layered, so detailed, there's little bits you've never heard before and yet - and yet - it still feels right, its still the song we all know, only mixed better than ever.

an instant, unreserved, not one nanosecond of hesitation, "KISS MINE 10".

a new benchmark afaic.
not slating anyone but the guys who do the Superunknown/Temple Of The Dog type 5.1 mixes need to be encouraged to really listen to a mix of this quality before they embark on another surround music mix (imho).

Adam, your justifiably exuberant review of Appetite brings to the forefront just how FEW talented multi channel remixers there are in the music [NOT movie] business. I had an occasion to recently hear the Temple of the Dog 5.1 remix and while sonically, it's absolutely superb [certainly blows away the RBCD in spades] the surround choices were tepid, at best. Same reaction to Badmotorfinger. Tepid use of surrounds.

Certainly, Scheiner and Wilson positively SHINE in a field of seeming mediocrity. What REALLY pisses me off [I'll neurose on this topic till the end of time] is Elliot Scheiner OFFERED to remix Abbey Road into Surround and the powers that be absolutely shot him down. Can you JUST imagine E. Scheiner tackling the entire Beatle's catalog? They would be THE definitive remasters, IMO.

And having recently had the pleasure of finally hearing Scheiner's astounding Layla remix, I sat there mesmerized at the tantalizing mixing choices he chose for this iconic classic. IMO, blows away the fine sounding but [in comparison] lackluster SACD 5.1 remix.

WONDERFULLY ENCOURAGING
that Scheiner, even at 71, still has the astute 'chops' to take a classic rock album and render it BRAND NEW and hopefully continues to 'dabble' with future surround remixes of classic fare.

And Adam, think HOW moronic and what a missed opportunity that Universal failed to release any of Scheiner's 'vaulted' remixes when they embarked on their BD~A launch. Perhaps one day we'll finally be 'treated' to the missing Steely Dan ES remixes. That'll be the day!:)

Last edited:
The more I listen, the better it gets... I even spun out a lossy DTS-CD for the car and that sounds amazing too... I swear I must've looked like a smiling idiot for my entire commute.

I did the exact same thing! Can't help but smile when that guitar in "Welcome To The Jungle" starts in the right rear speaker.

Sometimes I find that surround mixes sound even better in the car, as all the speakers are identical and the center channel is in a more ideal position.

Listening again at home now!

Great reviews guys. I love it. And Jeddia, you can use any language you like at QQ. Especially when it's appropriate, and this release appears to qualify. I hemmed and hawed on this one but now I can't resist! I'll even give a Woo-Hoo! Now if I could only go back in time to High School and find my own college chick! :sneaky:

Great reviews guys. I love it. And Jeddia, you can use any language you like at QQ. Especially when it's appropriate, and this release appears to qualify. I hemmed and hawed on this one but now I can't resist! I'll even give a Woo-Hoo! Now if I could only go back in time to High School and find my own college chick!:sneaky:

URBAN FRIENDLY and WILLING: :ROFLMAO:I'll give ya a 4th of July you'll NEVER forget, Jon boy!

http://www.fanphobia.net/uploads/fun/1427953829_Awesome_Funny_People_of_Walmart_In_Weird_Outfits.jpg

Last edited:
In 1987 my friend and I had just turned 18… of course the first thing we wanted to do as “adults” was to go out and vote, but seeing as there were no immediate elections, we decided to go to our first strip club instead. I remember this raw, rocking song playing as a beautiful blonde dancer wearing nothing but Ray Bans strutted onto the stage… the music was a throwback to the days of Aerosmith with a raunchier, harder edge and it was nothing like the bland, “they all sound the same” hair “metal” bands of the day. I was enthralled by this song I had never heard, and the naked bombshell before me added a whole other dimension to the experience. After the show, my friend (who was more of a “Morrissey” than a “Maiden” guy) was a bit annoyed by my rantings about the music. The song was “Welcome To The Jungle” and before long it would saturate the airwaves. 30 years later, I again feel like I’m hearing that song for the first time, but now it’s a 72 year old audio wizard exciting me by adding a whole other dimension to the music. How times have changed!
Elliot Scheiner’s surround mix is on par with all his previous, excellent efforts and I’m thrilled that he’s still at it. The rear channels are very active with prominent vocal, percussion, and guitar activity (both leads and rhythm). There’s a moment midway through the album where Axel’s scream travels around the room and I couldn’t help but smile. The fidelity is dynamic and full. The cymbals (at rare times) seem a little distorted, but this is a minor quibble that doesn’t distract from my overall enjoyment. The content is classic. Add in all the bonus songs mixed in surround, and we’ve got ourselves a 10!

Back