HiRez Poll Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Guns N' Roses - APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

• Total voters
In 1987 my friend and I had just turned 18… of course the first thing we wanted to do as “adults” was to go out and vote, but seeing as there were no immediate elections, we decided to go to our first strip club instead. I remember this raw, rocking song playing as a beautiful blonde dancer wearing nothing but Ray Bans strutted onto the stage… the music was a throwback to the days of Aerosmith with a raunchier, harder edge and it was nothing like the bland, “they all sound the same” hair “metal” bands of the day. I was enthralled by this song I had never heard, and the naked bombshell before me added a whole other dimension to the experience. After the show, my friend (who was more of a “Morrissey” than a “Maiden” guy) was a bit annoyed by my rantings about the music. The song was “Welcome To The Jungle” and before long it would saturate the airwaves. 30 years later, I again feel like I’m hearing that song for the first time, but now it’s a 72 year old audio wizard exciting me by adding a whole other dimension to the music. How times have changed!
Elliot Scheiner’s surround mix is on par with all his previous, excellent efforts and I’m thrilled that he’s still at it. The rear channels are very active with prominent vocal, percussion, and guitar activity (both leads and rhythm). There’s a moment midway through the album where Axel’s scream travels around the room and I couldn’t help but smile. The fidelity is dynamic and full. The cymbals (at rare times) seem a little distorted, but this is a minor quibble that doesn’t distract from my overall enjoyment. The content is classic. Add in all the bonus songs mixed in surround, and we’ve got ourselves a 10!
There couldn't be a more appropriate place to first hear GnR. The band was mooching off and dating strippers, not to mention writing songs about them and having them go-go dance at their shows for free. The Reckless Road book, written by Slash's chum Marc Canter, who was hanging out and taking pictures before they broke, shows clearly just how integral strippers were in the early days (he now runs Canter's Deli in LA, which makes an excellent pastrami on rye).

There couldn't be a more appropriate place to first hear GnR. The band was mooching off and dating strippers, not to mention writing songs about them and having them go-go dance at their shows for free. The Reckless Road book, written by Slash's chum Marc Canter, who was hanging out and taking pictures before they broke, shows clearly just how integral strippers were in the early days (he now runs Canter's Deli in LA, which makes an excellent pastrami on rye).
The strip club was in L.A. (where I still live), so maybe she knew the guys in the band! I think I’ll check that book out (there was a similar “tell all” type book written by the guys in Motley Crue, and it was pretty interesting (what a crazy life these guys led!)

Sometimes I find that surround mixes sound even better in the car, as all the speakers are identical and the center channel is in a more ideal position.

Why aren't all of your speakers identical in your home system? That's a must IMHO. Why not put your center in a more ideal position?

I have listened to the Blu-ray about a half dozen times (including once with headphones in stereo and once at a proper Rock n' Roll level) since I got it and this an easy 10, great hard rockin' music, in the best possible fidelity, opened up and surround all around at it's best! A10

Now if only someone could light a fire under Mr. Edward Van Halen and have him give that seminal and equally important album to the annals of Rock n' Roll "Van Halen" 1 a similar treatment as Appetite for Destruction, I could be one happy happy boy! As it is I am just a happy boy...so hop to it Eddie, times a wastin' and I ain't gettin' any younger!

I guess I need to buy this one given all the glowing reviews. Any suggestions on the best place to buy this in Canada?
If you like the music, buy it. Hard rock not your thing, then I doubt this changes your mind. I can't stand classical and although I could appreciate a very well done surround mix of that type music, its not something I would listen to repeatedly, no matter how good the mix. So I wouldn't spend the dough on it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you like the music, buy it. Hard rock not your thing, then I doubt this changes your mind. I can't stand classical and although I could appreciate a very well done surround mix of that type music, its not something I would listen to repeatedly, no matter how good the mix. So I wouldn't spend the dough on it

I definitely like the music. I only hesitated because of the price of the box. I rarely look at the pictures, tickets, scarves, and marbles ;) more than once. I only care about the 5.1 mix and if it was weak, it would've been a waste of money. But... given the glowing reviews, I placed an order. I am looking forward to hearing it! Thanks to all of those who ordered early! That's why I love QQ!

I broke down and ordered it from Amazon based on all these stellar reviews....i love this site :cool: I'm a huge fan of Appetite...can't wait to crank the bda!

It's definitely worth it. The book is stunning, the artwork pieces and replica tickets are cool...but the $140 sticker price gets you that blu-ray. And it's the holy freakin' grail if you like GnR.

Hi, is it possible to rip/extract the tracks from the 5.1 mix into separate audio files?

With the proper software, this should be easy. I don't have any suggestions for it though. I only use MakeMKV to create .mkv's for my media player - which cannot cut/splice the main files. It only rips out entire files, and the Appetite album is one file, while the Lies EP is another.

MakeMKV can create a single file with all the audio channels and tracks.
Multiple sources on the media like with XTC, multiple files and no issue.
mkvmerge can break it into tracks.
ffmpeg can pull out streams from each track.
I do it all the time for and it is super easy once you do it a time or two. I have posted instructions previously and can share the specifics of my perl scripts again if desired.

So far I'm loving Lies in surround sound. I'll have to revisited Appetite afterwards as I found the first listen underwhelming.

edit: I discovered my Oppo had secondary audio turned on...turned it off and listened again:

Best thing about the surround sound mix is how clear everything is, to the point where it's a little disorienting after listening to Appetite probably over a thousand times over the last 30 years. I almost thought this was a different mix...the instruments and vocals are clear, easily distinguishable and that ever so slight muddiness in the original LP/CD that we were used to for so long is now long gone.

Worst thing? There's not enough discrete stuff happening in the rears until there's a burst of a guitar solo or percussion (most often it's just double stereo). I had the highest hopes for a wild and crazy discrete mix, but it didn't happen. BUT! After getting settled in and cranking this f'er up, it delivers for the most part. The intro to Mr. Brownstone is amazing. The "Lies" tracks are certainly more discrete (I guess this is a case of less is more when you compare the surround sound treatment Lies and Appetite received).

Now...I gotta dump the rest of the boxset and keep the bda. Rating: 9/10.

Last edited:
Back