Happiness is a new Needle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quadfather

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Hey Y'all:
I just purchased a new stylus to replace the stylus in my AT440MLa cartridge. Audio Technica must be getting better at making these, because this one didn't even require a break in period. The last one came with the cart, and lasted a long long time, somewhere around 10 years. but it finally started distorting the sound. It still works good for stereo, but I don't play my stereo records often. I have not listened to my CD-4 records for several months now, so now I am playing all my favorites. Missed them, I have. Anyway, I hope this stylus lasts as long as the last one. What a bargain!

I've got back into buying SQ/QS vinyl (still need to get an Involve), and I've been looking longingly at all the CD-4 Vinyl out there, I've always wanted to hear Joni Mitchell's "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" in Quad. I've been hunting for a suitable CD4 demodulator and cartridge/stylus for ages over here in the UK but with no luck! I can't even find what I did with my old Shure cartridge with the hyperbolic stylus...lost over the mists of time...

I'd rather have a warm gun. I wonder if they have gun shows here in Mad City. Haven't been here long enough to know.

DuncanS: Why don't you order a JVC 4DD5 off of Ebay? It's one of the best CD-4 demodulators around and it's usually not that expensive. And then get an Audio Technica AT440MLa cartridge. Once again, fairly inexpensive, under $200 US. I just checked and there are about 4 or 5 of them up for sale now. Some of them are virginal.

Every time someone talks about getting a "new needle" this is the first thing I think of. Needle from a Victrola.

You are absolutely correct Cupboy. Recoil therapy is good for the soul and makes for a nice warm gun.

I can't argue with the gun therapy bit either. It's just plain fun to go through a 30 round magazine. Incidently, when I ordered the stylus, the website was advertising the 440MLa's ability to play quadraphonic records "of all types"

Boy, I don't know if they'd even allow a gun within the city limits of Madison! :D

And the AT440MLa is good at CD-4, isn' it.

And "Hissing..." is right up there with the best CD-4 records. So, Duncan, continue with your efforts to become CD-4 capable.

Personally, I use the term "needle" very affectionately.

:D

Doug

My son has his great grandma's Edison Cylinder player and around a 100 cylinders. I have her Victrola and around 100 records. So I know a needle when I see one.

Hi Quadfather,

Have you invited Barbara Eden over to show her your new " needle"?
That would give new meaning to your thread title....

I must say that since I've went the route of Shibata for CD-4, I can never go back. Amazing for matrix and stereo.

Nah, Barbara hasn't been around. My wife has a marble rolling pin. They quit running "I Dream of Jeanie" episodes in my area, so I don't get to make her jealous anymore by oogling Jeanie. I really liked the color episodes, When I watched the show in the sixties, we didn't have a color TV, so I didn't know they were in color.

Is an ATN 12S Shibata stylus compatible with an at440mla cartridge? I bought the stylus a couple years back and and just got a great deal on the at440mla cartridge. I am hoping that the stylus will fit the new cartridge.

Is an ATN 12S Shibata stylus compatible with an at440mla cartridge? I bought the stylus a couple years back and and just got a great deal on the at440mla cartridge. I am hoping that the stylus will fit the new cartridge.

Yeah, I couldn't tell you. I do know that Audio Technica made several carts in the quad era with similar looking styli, and they looked like they were interchangeable but they weren't. I even ruined a perfectly good Shibata stylus trying to make it fit. I got it to go on, but the audio didn't sound right. Too low, and there wasn't a chance of getting good CD-4 out of the mess. An At440MLb works with CD-4 too, I hear. It's the successor to the AT440MLa. But somewhere I heard they discontinued both. I don't know if it's true, sad if it is.

Yes, they've been discontinued for a while, there are new microline profile stylii that fit the AT440 cart but they are significantly more expensive. There is a new cart with a new microline profile stylus from Audio Technica as well which is cheaper, although the specs don't look as good.

They jacked up the prices 300% when folks stated that they would gladly pay more for the AT440 series - it performed so well for them. Kinda like the D/V SACD reissues, folks are saying that they are a total steal at the prices preferred last year, so this year I expect major price hikes on all new D/V product.

They jacked up the prices... when folks stated that they would gladly pay more for the AT440 series

As I recall with was in the double digits percentage (at least overhere and compared to the last new one I bought). That said, I really don't like it when people rave that way about paying more - why invite a company to increase charges? Hyperbole doesn't keep prices down! I did contact them about the price rise of the new line and the best I got was someone saying they still thought they represented good value for money, and a spreadsheet showing me which new stylii were compatible with which older carts.

As I recall with was in the double digits percentage (at least overhere and compared to the last new one I bought). That said, I really don't like it when people rave that way about paying more - why invite a company to increase charges? Hyperbole doesn't keep prices down! I did contact them about the price rise of the new line and the best I got was someone saying they still thought they represented good value for money, and a spreadsheet showing me which new stylii were compatible with which older carts.
I was livid when I saw it, but I kept quiet. As some know here - I don’t always hold back. I’m just worried now about D/V - there have been just too many comments here saying their quad SACDs are a “steal” yeah right.

Last edited:
Is an ATN 12S Shibata stylus compatible with an at440mla cartridge? answer is no... excited to upgrade to a at440mla cartridge. guess its time for a new stylus.. any reccomendations besides atn440mla and atn440mlb?

Back