• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Heaven & Earth, Refuge.

odru

Reaction score
This is the Lion-LP-114 edition I recently bought, and I believe it is produced in 2011. Although it is marked as Quadraphonic QS both on cover and record I suspect that this is no quad record. Can anyone confirm this?

Mark Anderson

Reaction score
This is the Lion-LP-114 edition I recently bought, and I believe it is produced in 2011. Although it is marked as Quadraphonic QS both on cover and record I suspect that this is no quad record. Can anyone confirm this?
Refuge was only released QS encoded so all stereo recordings carry the matrix encoding

vinylguy4

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I have the CD release on Lion and the cover and booklet says QS and quadraphonic many times. Do not see any remix indication. So I'd say it is QS encoded quad. Listening to this CD also sounds like QS. Some/most of the bonus tracks would not be QS.

Last edited:

Sonik Wiz

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
I have both the original '72 LP & like Vinylguy4 also the 2011 Lion CD re-relaese. I have compared multiple times & the CD mix & decoded soundfield matches the LP. Only better no ticks or hiss! It sounds great on a SM v2 & I'm sure a QSD-1 would do it justice. Really I think the CD is the one to have; with a great picture book, history of the group (which one is Heaven? Which one is Earth?) & a whopping 15 bonus tracks! Was any of this included with new vinyl LP? I am very pleased
as well as curious how someone in Norway discovered this quirky album & finds it appealing.

But wouldn't it be nice to have this:
H_E REFUGE 4.jpg

jefe1

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
I have the original Ovation QS record release. I will have to look for the cd you mention.

jefe1

Reaction score
I dug out my copy and am now listening to side 2.
Very nice music recorded well.
On the record the bass is very strong. I will have to look for the CD reissue. My album is a promo but a lot of scratches and noise...

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
I have the Lion re-release CD, I haven't got round to playing it through the SM2 yet - must try harder!

HeavenEarthRefuge201162911_b.jpg

jefe1

Reaction score
Thanks Sonik for the tip about the CD edition. There are two different cd releases. You want the one from Lion with all the bonus tracks and booklets. Luckily I found a copy on discogs.....

Sonik Wiz

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Reaction score
Thanks Sonik for the tip about the CD edition. There are two different cd releases. You want the one from Lion with all the bonus tracks and booklets. Luckily I found a copy on discogs.....
Well then, I wasn't aware there was two choices. Good of you to mention it.
Ya know this isn't the greatest album ever. It's quirky with simple lyrics. But there is something very appealing to me about it. It's stood the time for my appreciation.

There is an official (but long not updated ) website for Heaven and Earth Music. A lot of the material is duplicated in the CD booklet but for those that don't have it's worth checking out.

odru

Reaction score
I have both the original '72 LP & like Vinylguy4 also the 2011 Lion CD re-relaese. I have compared multiple times & the CD mix & decoded soundfield matches the LP. Only better no ticks or hiss! It sounds great on a SM v2 & I'm sure a QSD-1 would do it justice. Really I think the CD is the one to have; with a great picture book, history of the group (which one is Heaven? Which one is Earth?) & a whopping 15 bonus tracks! Was any of this included with new vinyl LP? I am very pleased
as well as curious how someone in Norway discovered this quirky album & finds it appealing.

But wouldn't it be nice to have this:
View attachment 44027
Hi. I found this LP in Ballard, Seattle where my daughter lives. There are a couple of good record stores there; used and new records. I have been collecting quad records, sq, qs and CD-4, for a number of years now. The decoders I have are Tate 101A, QSD-1, JVC CD-10 and a Technics SH-3434 Scope.