Hergest Ridge in 5.1 in Feb

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Having a quick scan through tubular.net, a poster is suggesting that HR will be released in Feb 2010. He quotes a friend of his with a few record shops being told by his suppliers.
Can anyone here confirm this with a record company rep ?
The thread is at http://tubular.net/forums/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=14;t=9230;st=80 and is towards the end of page 5.
The begining of the thread talks about it being a 5.1 mix.
By the way this is for the UK , can anyone have a check in the US and Europe ?

Be sure it will be ! If Tubular Bells - THE Tubular Bells - was, Hergest Ridge surely will !

Yet the most important question still remains unspoken : TB, HG, OmDwN, ok... But what about post-1975 albums ? HG was to be released in september, then in december, then in january, now in April. At this rate, Crises will be released in November 2018...

Well, I did send an email complaining about the lack of DTS on the Tubular Bells release, and pointing out how disappointing this was, especially considering the previous releases on SACD and DVD-A, and what a step backwards this is for someone who had, up until this point, been at the cutting edge of technology. I was assured that the email would be forwarded along to Mike. So, I'm hoping there's a chance he will see the error of his label's ways, and will make a point to correct this. So I'm thinking there's at least a chance we'll get a DTS stream at least on this one.

Or maybe we'll get blu ray editions eventually, that seems to be the only way we can get high resolution surround these days.

Anyways, I say there's a chance for DTS, but there's no telling what will be on the disc until more info is released.

Well, I did send an email complaining about the lack of DTS on the Tubular Bells release, and pointing out how disappointing this was, especially considering the previous releases on SACD and DVD-A, and what a step backwards this is for someone who had, up until this point, been at the cutting edge of technology.

Indeed, it is very disappointing when a surround music release only contains Dolby Digital. Sure, sometimes it doesn't sound like total crap, but usually it doesn't sound as musical---at least not to me---when compared to, say, DTS at the full bitrate.

(Or better yet... hi-rez, lossless DVD-Audio!) :D

To me, it seems a huge waste to keep remixing albums to 5.1 that we already have a quad mix for. It's certainly better than nothing, but wouldn't it be better to get an album that has no surround version at all yet? I for one would really like a "Songs Of Distant Earth" 5.1 mix. And the DVD could include the Enhanced CD content as well.

Ok guys, we have some movement on the new Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge releases. It looks like it will be the 26th May 2010 (in the UK at least). The link here has links to amazon.co.uk but the details are incomplete e.g. Ommadawn is a 3 disc set but only 2 are documented. HR is also a 3 disc set and the 3rd simply lists the two parts without format. We can only hope that the 5.1 mixes lurk on these discs.
http://tubular.net/forums/hr-ommadawn-deluxe-editions-appearing-on-amazon--?act=ST&f=41&t=9571

At this point, I'm just happy to get surround, regardless of the format. I admit I'd be happier if DTS were used instead of Dolby Digital, and if there were a DVD-A encoding as well, I'd be jumping for joy. OK, maybe not. But I'd be reveling in the advanced resolution sound. Even if played in stereo, the surround mix reveals textures that can't fit into a new stereo version. I experimented with encoding the DD version into QS as well, and it sounded great. So to answer the question as to whether or not it's worthwhile to have remixed them, I say yes!

I hope there is at least some kind of 5.1 mix too, otherwise they'd have to be pretty well priced (ie - cheap) for me to buy yet another package of these albums much as I like them.

Though I can't provide a link to the interview, I'm fairly sure that Mike once said that the quad mix of "Hergest Ridge" was psuedo-quad made from the new (at the time) stereo mix. So a true 5.1 mix of "Hergest Ridge" would be great. Reissuing the original quad mix not so great.

I'm also looking forward to the first appearance on CD of the original mix of "HR" which I presume will be in this box (and which I like much better for most of the album).

I *wish* that the orchestral recording of "HR" used in "The Space Movie" was going to be included, but it doesn't look like it will.

J. D.

Okay, well that looks promising....so now we just need to know the format of the 5.1....hopefully a step up from the TB release but I'd be surprised.

Just got this from eclectic discs:

"My other half Mark Powell has been busy as well working with Mike Oldfield (and for those who ask me--yes he does sleep sometimes, Mark that is--not Mike!)

The reissues of 5.1 (as well as standard and download and vinyl reissues) of Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge are released on the 14th June. They have been ringing round our house for weeks , so I enclose the official press release for these titles for those that are fans of these titles. I find the "On Horseback" piece in Ommadawn very strangely addictive!

Mike Oldfield
Hergest Ridge
Ommadawn
Mercury June 14th 2010

After the success of TUBULAR BELLS and THE MIKE OLDFIELD COLLECTION in 2009, Mercury are delighted to announce that Mike Oldfield’s reissue programme continues with two stunning 2010 mixes of two of his best-loved works, HERGEST RIDGE and OMMADAWN to be released on June 14th 2010.

Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn have been mixed, approved and authorised by Mike Oldfield himself. Both albums are released in a Single Disc Edition, A Deluxe Edition (a 2 Disc plus DVD set), in digital form and as A Back to Black vinyl version. A Limited Signed Framed print edition which is only available through mikeoldfieldofficial.com.

Originally released in 1974, Hergest Ridge was the follow-up to 1973’s groundbreaking debut, Tubular Bells. It gave Oldfield his first UK No.1 album, and was actually knocked off the UK top spot by Tubular Bells itself. It is another lengthy suite, reflecting the glory of the countryside Oldfield had secluded himself in following his early global success. Hergest Ridge is on the English-Welsh border near the town of Kington. A stunning new 2010 mix highlights the nuances of the work. Also found in research for the album was Oldfield’s original demos, never before heard.

Also noteworthy is the album’s new cover. Oldfield was never happy with the album’s original fish-eyed lens picture of his glider on the top of Hergest Ridge. Armed with the brief of a redesign, Oldfield’s team struck upon the idea of using a Google Earth image of Ridge itself, and the surrounding countryside. It forever links the area and the music – further enhanced by the album’s booklet, Walking The Hergest Ridge – A Guide To Rambling and the Story Behind The Music It Inspired.

Originally released in November 1975, Ommadawn, remains one of Oldfield’s favourite works. Recorded at his then home at Hergest Ridge, it again took the form of two lengthy suites of music, but here there are added Irish and African influences. Oldfield looked towards composition on traditional instruments; It is affecting music that acted as a precursor to the new age musical movement. Featuring folk legends Clodagh Simons and Paddy Moloney as well as African drummers, Jabula, Ommadawn is a work of great beauty, and like Hergest Ridge before it, established the fact that there was much more to Mike Oldfield than Tubular Bells. The album, with its new 2010 mix by Oldfield himself, also contains the original demo, thought lost and the perennial Christmas favourite, In Dulce Jubilo.

Each DVD features 5.1 surround sound mixes by Oldfield. Ommadawn adds the original promo videos for In Dulci Jubilo and Portsmouth.

HERGEST RIDGE
Single Disc Edition
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
In Dulci Jubilo (for Maureen)
Spanish Tune

Deluxe Edition 060075326754 (7)
CD ONE:
CD TWO:
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 1974 Stereo Mix
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 1974 Stereo Mix
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part One) *
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part Two) *
DVD:
Hergest Ridge (Part One) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Hergest Ridge (Part Two) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*

Back To Black Edition Vinyl Edition:

Limited Signed, Framed print edition (Available through mikeoldfieldofficial.com)
DELUXE EDITION CD/DVD SET AND BACK TO BLACK VINYL WITH NUMBERED FRAMED PRINT OF COVER ART WORK, SIGNED BY MIKE OLDFIELD – STRICTLY LIMITED TO 250 WORLDWIDE

Digital Edition
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part One) *
Hergest Ridge (1974 Demo Part Two) *

OMMADAWN
Single Disc Edition:
Ommadawn (Part One) 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 2010 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*

Deluxe Edition: 060075326761 (5)

CD ONE:
In Dulce Jubilo
First Excursion
Argiers
Portsmouth

CD TWO:
Ommadawn Part One 1975 Stereo Mix
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 1975 Stereo Mix
Ommadawn (Lost Version) 1975 Demo*

DVD:
Ommadawn (Part One) 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
Ommadawn (Part Two)/On Horseback 2010 5.1 Stereo Mix by Mike Oldfield*
In Dulci Jubilo
Portsmouth

Back To Black Vinyl Edition:

Limited Signed, Framed print edition (Available through mikeoldfieldofficial.com)

DELUXE EDITION CD/DVD SET AND BACK TO BLACK VINYL WITH NUMBERED FRAMED PRINT OF COVER ART WORK, SIGNED BY MIKE OLDFIELD – STRICTLY LIMITED TO 250 WORLDWIDE

Digital Edition:
In Dulce Jubilo
First Excursion
Argiers
Portsmouth
Ommadawn (Lost Version) 1975 Demo*

KinD Regards

Vicky Powell
Esoteric"

This looks very nice indeed! Ommadawn is my Oldfield favourite, so this edition is a no-brainer for me. :)

Let's just hope that no one accidentally stumbled upon the compression knob.

Back