how would you start your system if you were me?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But again, whatever you go with, I really recommend five matching speakers for best imaging etc..
Totally agree, my first thrown together system had my AR93s in the front and small speakers for centre and rear, it sounded Ok but somewhat lacking/disappointing, when replaced with 4 floorstanders & matching centre the sound stage just came together

...but our own bodies/ears and the day to day changes they go through. I know some days my system sounds better to me than other days. When you get a bad cold and your ears block is an obvious example, but I think there are more subtle things that happen from day to day as well.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! When you get those days that the system sounds great...it's nirvana. Anyway, I agree with the identical speakers idea. But sometimes it's just not possible. The next best thing is speakers that have the same tweeters and midrange units. The center speaker is the most difficult given that it is usually held hostage by the TV that's above/below it. I finally got where I wanted to be without tossing out the TV by getting a center speaker that had the same drivers as the fronts...albeit less of them.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one! When you get those days that the system sounds great...it's nirvana. Anyway, I agree with the identical speakers idea. But sometimes it's just not possible. The next best thing is speakers that have the same tweeters and midrange units. The center speaker is the most difficult given that it is usually held hostage by the TV that's above/below it. I finally got where I wanted to be without tossing out the TV by getting a center speaker that had the same drivers as the fronts...albeit less of them.
Yes, that would be reasonably voice matched.

When I hit the lottery, I plan to get four of these and one of these. All five have the same drivers, just aligned slightly differently in a slightly different cabinet for the center. I love MTM, I love the ascetic appearance, I love that they are made in the USA and I already love my RBH sub, so I'm sure these would be killer.

If you like the KEF sound I can recommend the Q150 which cost about $200 CAD each. I used to have 5 identical speakers but I wanted something with a bit more detail so I bought 2 Q150's for my main speakers. I may get 3 more to replace the center and surrounds but them seem pretty voice matched to the KEF's so I may leave it. Five matching Q150's should be less than half the price of the two wireless you mention. I spin the odd disc but now I usually just play off a 2TB hard drive connected to a Sony X800 which plays any digital file I have stereo or multichannel. I have my desk behind the couch as you describe and find that by having the rear speakers slightly behind the desk chair I have surround no matter where I sit. An Onkyo receiver provides the decoding and power. Perhaps if you just up the volume you will hear the music in the bathroom.:)

room2.jpg

According to their spec sheet, they have an RCA input. Is there any reason he couldn't have three wired in the front and the wireless pair as rears? (I've never used them.)

https://us.kef.com/speakers/flagship-hi-fi-speakers/ls50/ls50wireless-powered-music-system.html

Edit: Never mind, I see you are way ahead of me with suggesting the wired KEFs.

Their page even shows a single to buy as a center...

https://us.kef.com/speakers/flagship-hi-fi-speakers/ls50/ls50-single-center-speaker-1144.html

You would end up having to get a three channel amp, but with a bit of level matching they should voice extremely closely to each other even with different amplification. Certainly much closer than using different speakers. Or if you get a HT receiver with 5.1 line outs you can just use three channels of the internal amp and send the rear line outs to the wireless (as long as those outs can be set post fader).
Hi Markshan

I went another bit more Best Buy-ish hifi store yesterday and the sales person was 20-something who's living with parents. BUT, was so knowledgeable (especially digital part), and there was no lecture. I was very happy about it.

And I am still in love with rich, full and tight midbass and efortless (that's everyone describe) power without distortion. Someone from AVForum said this;
"Here is from someone high up in KEF speaker R&D group. 'The big difference is that with the DSP preamp we have a lot more control over the crossover, so the response is smoother on the LS50W than the LS50. Inside the DSP we monitor the power and excursion of the driver and step in if it is likely to distort." Looks like significant reduction in distortion has improved the sound quality and smoothness that many of us perceive. '

So, this suggestion is keeper. Thank you so much! I can research.

If you like the KEF sound I can recommend the Q150 which cost about $200 CAD each. I used to have 5 identical speakers but I wanted something with a bit more detail so I bought 2 Q150's for my main speakers. I may get 3 more to replace the center and surrounds but them seem pretty voice matched to the KEF's so I may leave it. Five matching Q150's should be less than half the price of the two wireless you mention. I spin the odd disc but now I usually just play off a 2TB hard drive connected to a Sony X800 which plays any digital file I have stereo or multichannel. I have my desk behind the couch as you describe and find that by having the rear speakers slightly behind the desk chair I have surround no matter where I sit. An Onkyo receiver provides the decoding and power. Perhaps if you just up the volume you will hear the music in the bathroom.:)

View attachment 40451
Whoa.... that's soooo huuuuge! I mean the room! ;)
Yes, the layout is same; desk next to "listening" chair to use same speakers. Thank you for the confirmation that you can listen at both positions. I do have X800, too.

A lot depends on how much you want to spend. Plus you don't have much space!

To store your FLACs etc. I would get a NAS Drive formatted as Raid 1 (so 2 mirrored drives) I have Synology DS216j (latest version is DS218j) & DS418play as they have good software, rather than use the PC and connect to your router via Ethernet. Where possible use Ethernet cabling, and use Wi-Fi if you can't.

I have a Pioneer SC-LX86 Amp (only plays 2.0 FLACs direct from the network :( - which seems quite common). I use my Oppo Universal player (connected via Ethernet) to play my discs and to stream the 5.1 & 2.0 music - but I'm looking at getting a new 8th generation i3/i5/i7 based Intel NUC to handle playing the FLACs & DSD downloads and captures - via HDMI to my Amp.

I have 4 Monitor Audio Silver RS8 floorstanders+centre in a room 15ft/5m square, (I looked at KEF first as well, wanted B&W but they were out of my price range) - have an audition of the Monitor Audio they do some really good smaller speakers, which you can easily mount on moveable stands..

I have in the bathroom a Roberts Stream 94i which connects via my network (Wi-Fi or Ethernet) and works brilliantly for internet radio and streaming of music from the NAS

Your network is very similar to what I have and envisioning (Synology and NUC), and it helps me alot! Thank you so much
May I ask questions?

1) As far as I read, Robert's Stream is not "moisture proof". Still no problem in the bathroom? If so, I don't have to get heos 01. That will open up the choices.
2) Yes, 2.5m x 2.5m is not that big :( Again, I am size-envious. :(
3) I read a lot about Oppo in this forum. And it will get discontinued. Bummer.

Perfectlife,

Since, youā€™d like to know what we are using for our setups?

I have a 4.1.4 system setup in my living room using an OPPO UDP-205, Denon AVR- X4400H and Emotiva active monitors (powered speakers). I use the OPPO player for my discs and will occasionally attach my hard drives for my files. I use HEOS on my Denon AVR for playing two-channel files off my hard drives and to stream or AirPlay.

My bedroom system is 2.1 consisting of a pair of Kef Q100ā€™s, connected to a Marantz AVR, and a subwoofer. Basically, I use AirPlay via my iPad to the AVR.

Today, If I were to starting from the beginning, I would go active speakers and a unit such as Bluesound. Personally, as much as I like Kef, their Wireless scares me. If one thing goes wrong, the whole speaker system is down. I would rather separate the DAC/Streamer. Plus, technology changes quite often.

Thank you for a good example I can learn from.

I didn't think of going into using AirPlay, probably I don't have Mac nor ipad.

May I ask questions? Why would you like to go active speakers?

Don't let any of the surround system packages confuse you regarding speakers.
You're free to put together any speaker system you please.

You probably already figured out that 'powered monitors' are simply speakers with amps built into the boxes.
There are a lot of "combo" products like that. (Amps and speakers in the same box in that example.) Surround receivers typically have amps built in.
See where this is going?
The game is to collect the pieces you need for a system without duplicating things or ending up with components that can't connect to each other.

Watch out for HDMI products!
HDMI can be restricted to video only and falls victim to copy protection gone wild schemes that further disable things.

The computer with media player app of choice is the way to go for the playback device.
You can have access to any format at its fullest quality.
Your archive on hard drive can be backed up.
Any smart phone running a remote desktop app can be a remote control.

This can be modern and slick:
Computer with thunderbolt port -> TB to HDMI cable -> HDMI surround receiver
If it's a restricted HDMI product on either end though you get shut down completely and the system is DOA.

This always works:
Computer with USB, firewire, or TB -> audio interface (with connection type of choice) -> surround receiver with analog inputs or amp stack of choice or powered monitors

There's a modularity to such a system that keeps it simple in a way. Upgrading parts and pieces is pretty straightforward.
There's also a little techy-ness that's maybe not so simple if you're used to turntables and DVD players.

But I think it's even more confusing navigating some of these combo devices!
Items like the DA converters are big ticket items. You kind of want to pick the best unit you can afford (these come in the audio interface or the digital receiver - see, even an 'audio interface' is kind of a combo device: interface connection to computer + DA & AD converters). People end up with 3 DA units sometimes! (eg 2 disc players and a receiver). Can't very well listen to all 3 at once! Pricey!

There are a number of options.
You can put together a very high quality system (studio, reference, audiophile - whatever you want to call it) pretty simply and frugally if you shop right.
You could walk out of Worst Purchase with thousands of dollars of garbage that doesn't connect together like you need it to and doesn't play many formats if you shop wrong.

Woa, Thank you for the info! I have to copy/paste into my notebook since some of the part is bit over-my-head but I will be knowledgeable enough to be able to digest soon.

Yes, you are right that combo devices will be waste. I am hoping to audition enough passive speakers to fall in love with. But it's like speed dating. It is really really tiring and just want to commit to whoever so that I can go home with something. ;)

I can't speak too much to personal taste in speakers (also, I can't speak much for very expensive speakers, šŸ˜), but I personally have a PC that I connect via HDMI to my Denon AVR, and from there to my TV. I keep all my surround audio encoded as WAV, although that's just personal preference and really no different than FLAC (takes a little more space obviously). I keep all my music on a hard drive and then play it using MusicBee (I think it sounds a bit better than FooBar; again personal preference). For ripping audio, DVD-Audio Extractor is super easy for DVDs, and for Blu-Rays I use MakeMKV to remove the copy protection from the Blu-Ray image before ripping with DVD-Audio Extractor.

You are right. I forget about MusicBee. I do have MakeMKV. Will buy DVD-Audio Extractor once my hardware are all setup.

Same here. I know a lot of QQ'ers have setups with a center channel speaker and surround speakers (and they love it!). Imho a surround music setup is an entirely different animal. If you are just starting out it is a perfect time to consider using 5 identical speakers.

Thanks! I will try to have same speakers.

When I hit the lottery, I plan to get four of these and one of these. All five have the same drivers, just aligned slightly differently in a slightly different cabinet for the center. I love MTM, I love the ascetic appearance, I love that they are made in the USA and I already love my RBH sub, so I'm sure these would be killer.
If you win the lottery, this is what you should be getting. Also while you are at it, you can buy a couple of these for your friends at QQ as well.

http://www.statusacoustics.com/8t.php

Your network is very similar to what I have and envisioning (Synology and NUC), and it helps me alot! Thank you so much
May I ask questions?

1) As far as I read, Robert's Stream is not "moisture proof". Still no problem in the bathroom? If so, I don't have to get heos 01. That will open up the choices.
2) Yes, 2.5m x 2.5m is not that big :( Again, I am size-envious. :(
3) I read a lot about Oppo in this forum. And it will get discontinued. Bummer.
The Robert's Stream is not moisture proof, but I have mine on a shelf above the bathroom door (The Stream's remote control is thus really useful!), and after 2+ years it is still working well. Its also reasonably priced and gives me FM/DAB/music from the NAS, and if I could be bothered Spotify (which I don't use as I think it is killing music by not paying enough!).

For safety what I did do was cable its 9V DC power supply to it, so its mains AC to DC supply sits on the landing and the cable with the DC goes through the loft and down to it.

I've just bought another Synology so when I swap drives about I will have the DS216j with 1TB Raid 1 (they were in a Zyxel) which will be the workhorse for playing my favourite albums (once I rip them to FLAC), a DS218+ with 4TB Raid 1 (which will be the music store). I also have a DS418play with 20TB Raid 1 which is actually for my work related files, but I'll use 4TB to back up the DS218+.

Back