Ian Anderson - Homo Erraticus

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just read the news: Ian Anderson's new record will be released on April 14th and apparently will include a 5.1 mix by Jakko Jakszyk.
Wondering if it'll be on par with TAAB2 and whether we'll be missing Mr Wilson on the mixing desk.

I'd venture to guess that if anyone can mix this album well (besides Mr Wilson) it's Jakko. He's doing some ELP and King Crimson surround mixing as well. We're lucky to have both him and Steven doing these mixes for us. :)

The Scarcity Of Miracles disc is mixed quite nicely by Jakko...

Just read the news: Ian Anderson's new record will be released on April 14th and apparently will include a 5.1 mix by Jakko Jakszyk.
Wondering if it'll be on par with TAAB2 and whether we'll be missing Mr Wilson on the mixing desk.

One cool tidbit I picked up from the Facebook press release is that the album is being released on Ian's own label Callindra Records in conjunction with Kscope.
So, because Kscope has been known for doing a lot of DVD-A recently, I wonder what's the chances this will be a DVD-A instead of just a DVD-V. We will see. :)

Ola Amigo!

I think we've learned that most post-production mixing dudes know how to do a discrete mix. The problem seems to be the artist not understanding the benefits or just being afraid of true 5.1. Ian Anderson obviously is one who isn't afraid of a full discrete mix, so.... I am sure Jakko's mix will be just fine. :banana:

The list of musician "scaredy cats" seems to be growing...
SC.png

...and we can now add "Transatlantic" among the artists who are clueless or are simply afraid to have their music fully discretely spread/mixed over 5.1 channels. :yikes
Being a huge Flower King fan this is even more perplexing, since TFK guitarist and songwriter, Roine Stolt actually does all his own engineering/producing. TFK music has maybe too many tracks and layering for 2.0 and may be the most deserving of discrete 5.1 mixing of any recorded music! So far Roine has not been interested in any discrete 5.1 mixing. Too bad. The Flower Kings - Garden Of Dreams would be absolute heaven in a full discrete 5.1 mix.

I will order Ian Anderson's 5.1 solo work the second it is available. I have no plans to pay one penny for the crappy half-baked Transatlantic 5.1 offering.

In addition, the Transatlantic "weak" 5.1 mix makes no sense. Its not like anybody is outlawing a 2.0 mix so that is still there. And the crappy pseudo-mix they sell in 5.1 can be easily mimicked already by any receiver's fake 5.1 processing. Consider me confused and greatly disappointed over the Transatlantic 5.1 mix. :howl

I thought TaaB2 was actually fairly decent - better than expected perhaps, so given that and a 5.1 mix Ian has earned the benefit of the doubt and I'll pre-order the new one from the Shed.

Such great news!

Count me in on that pre-order as well.

Good things in 2014. :smokin

I will preorder too, even though I'm afraid Ian Anderson is milking TAAB's concept a bit too much. I hope I'll be wrong as I was with TAAB2, which I liked a lot

http://www.kscopemusic.com/iananderson/promo/
The new album from Jethro Tull frontman to be released on Calliandra Records in conjunction with Kscope on April 14th
In 2012 Ian Anderson released Thick As A Brick 2, the follow-up to Jethro Tull’s legendary concept album. The album was a critical and commercial success, charting around the world. In April he returns with Homo Erraticus, his new studio album.

The original Thick As A Brick album, released in 1972, was based around the poem of disgraced child prodigy Gerald Bostock. For Homo Erraticus Anderson is reunited with Bostock, using lyrics written by Gerald based on an old historical manuscript. The manuscript examines key events from throughout British history before going on to offer a number of prophecies for the future.

Suitably dramatised and exaggerated by Bostock as metaphors for modern life, he presented Anderson with ideas for 14 songs, which have now been set to music. The result is Homo Erraticus.

The album will be released on Anderson’s own Calliandra Records label in conjunction with Kscope on April 14th.

Following the release of this “Jethro Tull” (in all but name) album, Ian and his band will be embarking on an extensive UK tour, where they will play the album in its entirety followed by a selection of Tull classics. These shows will be followed by further tours in Europe, America and more later in the year.

Tracklist
PART ONE: CHRONICLES
1 Doggerland
2 Heavy Metals
3 Enter The Uninvited
4 Puer Ferox Adventus
5 Meliora Sequamur
6 The Turnpike Inn
7 The Engineer
8 The Pax Britannica

PART TWO: PROPHECIES
9 Tripudium Ad Bellum
10 After These Wars
11 New Blood, Old Veins

PART THREE: REVELATIONS
12 In For A Pound
13 The Browning of the Green
14 Per Errationes Ad Astra
15 Cold Dead Reckoning

image.jpg

Ian Anderson
Homo Erraticus (Deluxe Edition) (2CD + 2DVD-V in a hard back book preorder)

The 2014 conceptual masterclass from Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson reunites Anderson with Thick As A Brick lyricist Gerald Bostock for the first time since 1972.

A wonderfully ambitious fusion of Folk, Rock and Metal stylings. Or, put another way, Prog.

---------

In 2012 Ian Anderson released Thick As A Brick 2, the follow-up to Jethro Tull's legendary 1972 concept album. A critical and commercial success, TAAB2 charted around the world and saw Anderson rediscovering and reinventing the more Progressive elements in his work.

The original Thick As A Brick album was based around an epic poem by disgraced child prodigy Gerald Bostock, while TAAB2 speculated on what had happened to Bostock in the intervening 40 years.

Released on Anderson's own Calliandra imprint via Kscope, 2014's Homo Erraticus finds Anderson once again using lyrics written by Gerald (based on an old historical manuscript), which examine key events from throughout British history, and offer a number of predictions for the future.

A limited edition deluxe 4 disc set presented in a 60 page hardback book, including DVD interview disc, bonus CD with audio documentary and 'hotel demos', and a 5.1 surround mix of the album on DVD.

All copies come with an exclusive postcard.

The first 250 copies of the deluxe edition come with a postcard signed by Ian Anderson.

The box set will be available for £34.99 for a limited period only.

Pre-order for 14th April release.

preorder (€43.85 EUR)

Other Versions / Formats
Ian Anderson - Homo Erraticus (Deluxe Edition) (2CD + 2DVD-V in a hard back book preorder)

Tracks
CD:

1. Doggerland [4:20]
2. Heavy Metals [1:29]
3. Enter The Uninvited [4:12]
4. Puer Ferox Adventus [7:11]
5. Meliora Sequamur [3:32]
6. The Turnpike Inn [3:08]
7. The Engineer [3:12]
8. The Pax Britannica [3:05]
9. Tripudium Ad Bellum [2:48]
10. After These Wars [4:28]
11. New Blood, Old Veins [2:31]
12. In For A Pound [0:36]
13. The Browning Of The Green [4:05]
14. Per Errationes Ad Astra [1:33]
15. Cold Dead Reckoning [5:28]

DVD-V:

1. Doggerland (5.1 Mix) [4:10]
2. Heavy Metals (5.1 Mix) [1:34]
3. Enter The Uninvited (5.1 Mix) [3:36]
4. Puer Ferox Adventus (5.1 Mix) [6:57]
5. Meliora Sequamur (5.1 Mix) [3:30]
6. The Turnpike Inn (5.1 Mix) [3:03]
7. The Engineer (5.1 Mix) [3:10]
8. The Pax Britannica (5.1 Mix) [3:06]
9. Tripudium Ad Bellum (5.1 Mix) [2:47]
10. After These Wars (5.1 Mix) [4:26]
11. New Blood, Old Veins (5.1 Mix) [2:31]
12. In For A Pound (5.1 Mix) [0:36]
13. The Browning Of The Green (5.1 Mix) [4:10]
14. Per Errationes Ad Astra (5.1 Mix) [1:35]
15. Cold Dead Reckoning (5.1 Mix) [5:12]

CD 2 (Commentary & Demos):

1. Doggerland (4:10)
2. Heavy Metals (1:34)
3. Enter The Uninvited (3:36)
4. Puer Ferox Adventus (6:57)
5. Meliora Sequamur (3:30)
6. The Turnpike Inn (3:03)
7. The Engineer (3:10)
8. The Pax Britannica (3:06)
9. Tripudium Ad Bellum (2:47)
10. After These Wars (4:26)
11. Spoken Introduction To Demos (3:54)
11. New Blood, Old Veins (2:31)
12. Doggerland (1:43)
12. In For A Pound (0:36)
13. Heavy Metals (1:42)
13. The Browning Of The Green (4:10)
14. Enter The Uninvited (3:40)
14. Per Errationes Ad Astra (1:35)
15. Puer Ferox Adventus (3:29)
15. Cold Dead Reckoning (5:12)
16. Meliora Sequamur (2:45)
17. The Turnpike Inn (2:12)
18. The Engineer (1:33)
19. The Pax Britannica (1:27)
20. Tripudium Ad Bellum (1:24)
21. After These Wars (3:37)
22. New Blood, Old Veins (2:04)
23. In For A Pound (0:44)
24. The Browning Of The Green (2:51)
25. Per Errationes Ad Astra (1:52)
26. Cold Dead Reckoning (3:49)

DVD 2:

1. Conversations (Jerry Ewing Interview)
2. Creations (The Making Of Homo Erraticus)
3. Illustrations (Artwork With Carl Glover)
4. Articulations (Band Interviews)

I deleted my post for now as it looks like this new release might be DVD-A after all. I checked with Burning Shed and here's what they say:

there are 2 DVDs in the deluxe package, one audio (DVDA) and one video (DVD-V) - from what we have been told!

Fingers crossed it really is DVD-A for the 5.1 disc!! :)

Last edited:
Curious thing is that the track lengths in the CD and the 5.1 DVD are different in Burningshed listing.
Not sure of I'll buy the deluxe version, the extra content looks like something I'll not watch or listen more than once.

Marta from Burning Shed told me that the website will be updated once the label gives them more info, which apparently they received, as the description for the first dvd says

Looks like the real deal :)

I had another look to see the curious timing differences between the cd and dvd , as Cesar metioned, and the description now says dvd v again, with DTS 5.1 Surround mixes and 24/48 LPCM.

So it is still a work in progress :)

Back