Interesting Capitol Studios documentary

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! A few hundred Atmos mixes are already done... I hope we start seeing more of those released :)

I like Steve's mixing thoughts... "If I want to stick the drums in the back, I'll stick the drums in the back... there's some mixes where there's shit flying at you from all over the place"... glad to know he's open to aggressive surround mixing.

Wow! A few hundred Atmos mixes are already done... I hope we start seeing more of those released :)

I like Steve's mixing thoughts... "If I want to stick the drums in the back, I'll stick the drums in the back... there's some mixes where there's shit flying at you from all over the place"... glad to know he's open to aggressive surround mixing.

Yes he can be aggressive when the music calls for it...and not just for a gimmick...I like that part...but from what I heard...it's unlikely a lot of the old classics will get the Atmos treatment...just not enough source material to spread out over all those channels...and something else to consider...although this type of mix allows for a lot of dynamic range....what would happen if bad mastering negated it and you had 64 channels of screeching madness:eek:...I doubt that would happen...but...just saying...I'm pretty gun shy at this point about anything involving mastering...

I found this on YouTube and thought it might be of interest here:

This has to be one of the most interesting insights into the life of Capitol records.
Steve is a really friendly guy and you can instantly sense his complete passion for what he does.
I hope that it is not long before we get to find out how Universal is going to make these Atmos recordings available for the paying public.

Very interesting video. Steve talks about their Studio C Atmos room from 19:40.

Atmos added to studio primarily to mix music
Several hundred titles already done in Atmos (is a song a title?)
Atmos uses full range speakers
He loves being able to mix for a subwoofer

A wonderful retrospective of the iconic Capitol Building and Steve's utmost enthusiasm was refreshing and insightful. It would be a shame if all these music only Atmos remixes were relegated to download/streaming only. Hopefully, Universal will refresh their Blu Ray launch by releasing a few Dolby Atmos samplers.

I am rooting for their success as so many artists flow through this iconic Hollywood building and hoping that that the Dolby Atmos bug will bite each and every one of them to conceive newer music in ATMOS and perhaps revist their older material and refresh it with surround remixes.

The future is looking brighter for surround enthusiasts and thank you Steve Genewick for sharing the fantastic prospects that Capitol Studio's Studio "C" can and will provide. In a word AWESOME!

Back